MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Brandeis beat Newberry good then went down to Lasell.  Lasell seems to be somewhat reloaded, but its hard to tell exactly where they stand until more games are played.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WBRSsports

Brandeis men played a very sloppy game against Lasell and came away with a tough, tough loss. This is going to be one of the problems of having no Juniors or Seniors on a team, as the Judges got trapped by a trap game.

The one positive to come away for Brandeis is that, even when they were down 10 late in the second half to the Lasers, they continued to battle back and even took the lead off a huge 3 pointer from Steve Deluca with 14 seconds left to go.

Hopefully Brandeis uses this game as a learning experience and improves from here.

sandman

Case completely shattered the school record for points in a game... because they cracked The System (TM) at Westminster tonight, in their third try.  The Spartans defeated Westminster, 135-120 (the previous high was 109 in a loss to the Titans last year).

http://www.case.edu/athletics/varsity/winter/mbasketball/stats/2005-06/06MBG_04.HTM

Only seven players played more than ten minutes for Case, so they used a short rotation compared to the Titans.  All kinds of marks fell: Funso Lafe and Matt Cannan logged career highs of 39 and 34 points respectively.  Three Spartans recorded double-doubles: Carson Oren with 11 points and 12 rebounds, Cannan with 34 and 11, and Rich Mullen with 16 and 10.  Tyler Rodriguez added 16 points (a career high in his fourth game) and Mason Conrad scored 10.  A major factor in the Spartans' win was the fact that they outrebounded Westminster, 60-46.

After a first half that featured six ties and eight lead changes, Case used a 31-8 run in the second half to take control.  Westminster's 33 fouls didn't help their cause either, though Case was only 24/44 from the line.  As for 3-point shooting, Case was 3/4 (all Mullen), while Westminster was 21/62; last year, the Spartans didn't attempt a 3.

Case is now 3-1 for the first time in 15 years.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't make.

WBRSsports

Good win for the Brandeis men against Babson as they have now won two in a row. Steve DeLuca was huge for Brandeis: http://my.brandeis.edu/athletics/one-game?group_id=1385&item_id=473655

The officiating was horrible (one official called about 10 offensive fouls by himself...no hyperbole) but both teams played really tough on both ends and Brandeis came out in the end. Next up for Brandeis men is Tufts on Saturday.

deiscanton

I don't want to comment on the officiating in last night's Brandeis v. Babson game-- I'm just glad that the Judges won last night.

On the status of the Brandeis men's basketball team-- the progress has been slow, but I think that the team will improve and be competitive in the UAA come conference time.  Brandeis has been playing good defense, but not enough yet to be among the UAA leaders in that category.  Still, anytime that a men's basketball opponent can be held to under 70 points, I consider that to be a good defensive game.  The Judges have yet to figure out how to keep most of the non-conference opponents from shooting over 40%, but hopefully that will improve.  The Judges will also have to improve on free throw shooting.

Locally, I will look at the Brandeis v. Tufts box score, however--

2 other games to follow in the UAA this Saturday.

#1 is-- The start of UAA conference play as #12 Rochester hosts Carnegie Mellon.  The game will tip at 4 PM Eastern on Saturday and it will be webcast on WYSL 1040 AM in Rochester-- http://www.wysl1040.com.

This is a rematch from last year's UAA "title" game, and the two teams played close games against each other last year-- Carnegie Mellon won by 7 at Pittsburgh, and Rochester won by 5 at the Palestra in Rochester, NY.

The first battle will be to see if Rochester's defense can contain Carnegie Mellon's firepower on scoring offense.  The Tartans lead the league in scoring offense-- Rochester is currently at #2 in the UAA in scoring defense and #1 in the UAA in field goal percentage defense.  (NYU is currently leading the UAA in scoring defense.)   I assume that Rochester will pass that test with flying colors, so the second battle will be to see how effective Carnegie Mellon's defense will be in containing Rochester.  The Tartans will have to improve in that aspect if this game is to be close, as the Tartans seem to have concentrated more in the past few games on outscoring the opponent with their offense rather than shutting the opponent down on defense.   CMU's starting five, which is led by Clayton Barlow-Wilcox and Nate Maurer,  will have to play a key factor in picking up their defensive intensity on Saturday if the team is to be successful and keep this game close.  Otherwise, Rochester can easily do to Carnegie Mellon what the Yellowjackets did to top 25 opponent John Carroll last weekend.

#2-- Chicago takes the "Titan challenge" on Saturday, as the Maroons host #1 Illinois Wesleyan.  Livestats should be available on that game-- I'll post the link for the livestats later on in the week if no one else promotes that game.

sandman

Case topped the century mark for the second straight game in a 101-87 home win over Hiram, coach Sean McDonnell's former team.

Mason Conrad led the Spartans with 19 points, while Carson Oren and Matt Cannan each added 18, and Buck Bommer scored 10.  Both Conrad and Oren pulled down 10 rebounds, but the biggest development is that Carson Oren moved up to 6th place on the CWRU all-time scoring list with 1,314 points.  The school record of 1,456 is well within reach.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't make.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: deiscanton on November 30, 2005, 06:10:49 PM#2-- Chicago takes the "Titan challenge" on Saturday, as the Maroons host #1 Illinois Wesleyan.  Livestats should be available on that game-- I'll post the link for the livestats later on in the week if no one else promotes that game.

I'll be at that game, and I'll try to remember to put in a word or two about it here. Based upon what I saw of Chicago tonight at Wheaton, and my past experiences seeing this edition of Illinois Wesleyan, I do not expect the result to be pretty ... at least from the perspective of the UAA homestanders.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

deiscanton

For anyone else who can't personally be in Chicago on Saturday--

The tip for Chicago v.  # 1 Illinois Wesleyan is at 3 PM Central/4 PM Eastern on Saturday.

The live stats will be available at:

http://www.geocities.com/ucsid/livestats/xlive.htm

iwumichigander

For University of Chicago, UAA or D3 fans in general, the Saturday contest at Univerisity of Chicago against unanimous D3HOOPS #1 IWU will be broadcast on WJBC2.COM which uses Quicktime Player to broadcast. Link:
http://www.wjbc2.com/

If you don't have Quciktime Player installed, you will want to download and install well ahead of the game.

Greg - I agree with you about Chicago's chances given their loss to Wheaton. 

deiscanton

Pregame warmups have started for #12 Rochester (5-1) v. Carnegie Mellon (5-0) from the Palestra in Rochester, NY.

This is the first UAA men's basketball conference game of the season.

Carnegie Mellon is coming in with their best season ever at 5-0.  The Tartans are led by UAA All-conference players Clayton Barlow-Wilcox and Nate Maurer.  Carnegie Mellon has the UAA's top scoring offense at 92.3 ppg, but the Tartans have not yet played a team the caliber of either Wittenberg or John Carroll this season. 

This is a rematch of last year's UAA "title game" with each team winning on their home floor last season-- CMU won by 7 last year in Pittsburgh, and Rochester won by 5 in the rematch last year at the Palestra.

Listen to the game at http://www.wysl1040.com

deiscanton

16:01 to play in the first half--

Carnegie Mellon 11, Rochester 2

deiscanton

Big call early in the game--

Clayton Barlow-Wilcox has just picked up his 2nd foul early and will have to sit out the rest of the half.  The foul came with about 15:40 left to play in the first half.

deiscanton

14:08 to play in the first half--

Carnegie Mellon 11, Rochester 7

deiscanton

9:51 to play in the first half--

Rochester 19, Carnegie Mellon 13

deiscanton

Halftime from the Palestra in Rochester, NY--

Rochester 39, Carnegie Mellon 26