FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3Navy and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Shoreman

Sewanee 2013 schedule published. Nice to see DePauw back on the schedule as well as the two new programs Berry and Hendrix.

Shoreman

PrayingColonel

Centre College, Kicker/Punter, Jordan Gay has signed a Free Agent deal with the Carolina Panthers.

Pat Coleman

Is there any published confirmation of this?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

PrayingColonel

No. Just a text from my son who is on the team. Also numerous twitter posts congratulating him from others on the team. Also saw a Facebook post from one of the coaches. I'm told he's going to their mini camp in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure how all that works. Maybe saying he's signed a free agent deal is a little premature. I'm sure Centre will put something on their website tomorrow.

Just A Guy

Quote from: PrayingColonel on April 28, 2013, 08:30:31 AM
Centre College, Kicker/Punter, Jordan Gay has signed a Free Agent deal with the Carolina Panthers.

Congrats to Jordan!!!!!!!!

jknezek

Quote from: awadelewis on May 01, 2013, 09:01:27 PM
Sewanee to add lights and field turf to McGee Field:
http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/4/30/250155/Sewanee-Football-Adds-Lights-Synthetic.aspx

The turf is a very good idea. Granted the 3 times I've been to Sewanee to see a game it has rained (or poured) each and every time, but that facility looked a little tired. Turf will really help as every time I've seen that surface it has looked worse for wear, and I've been there early in the season when W&L is in town. I can't imagine what it looked like by November. As for lights... eh. W&L put them in a few years ago as well and plays one football game or so at home at night per year. But since it's a multipurpose field, field hockey and the lacrosse teams get some night games as well. Not really sure it's worth it, but it seems to be the way things are going.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on May 02, 2013, 08:38:55 AM
But since it's a multipurpose field, field hockey and the lacrosse teams get some night games as well. Not really sure it's worth it, but it seems to be the way things are going.

I would say it's important to keep in mind that adding lights not only allows other teams to play at night, but also to practice at night. Depending on how your school does its intramural program, it may also have some benefits there as well.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

awadelewis

Quote from: jknezek on May 02, 2013, 08:38:55 AM
The turf is a very good idea. Granted the 3 times I've been to Sewanee to see a game it has rained (or poured) each and every time, but that facility looked a little tired. Turf will really help as every time I've seen that surface it has looked worse for wear, and I've been there early in the season when W&L is in town. I can't imagine what it looked like by November.
I'd agree about the addition of field turf... it's been a struggle to keep the field in any sort of decent condition even with the school putting some effort into it over the past few years (should have seen it back when I was an undergraduate in the early '80s). 
I would say it's important to keep in mind that adding lights not only allows other teams to play at night, but also to practice at night. Depending on how your school does its intramural program, it may also have some benefits there as well.
Pat also raises a good point too, tho' our IM program has a separate set of fields.   Will be a big help for both the men and women's LAX teams during the Spring as I think it will get them to using the main field for more games rather than having to do a bunch of games on the IM fields.

I'm hoping that we'll put some more time and money into the football field once we get the renovations finished over at our baseball field.    There's been a lot of work put into McGee Field the past 2-3 years and it looks a lot better.   However, a lot of the infrastructure needs a bunch of work.... which I think is a line-item on the plans backing our next capital campaign.

Just A Guy

Quote from: PrayingColonel on April 28, 2013, 08:30:31 AM

I am hearing some good news from Danville today, has anyone else??

jknezek

Quote from: Shoreman on May 19, 2013, 04:28:24 AM
Centre's Gay signs

http://saa-sports.com/sports/fball/2012-13/releases/20130517pkso3o

Very impressive. Congratulations to Jordan and good luck. I'm glad he'll no longer be punting to the Generals. It was always a matter of where he was going to pin them back.