Pool C -- 2009

Started by Ralph Turner, October 18, 2009, 11:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumkinattack

Quote from: K-Mack on October 22, 2009, 05:46:13 PM

What am I missing here? Randolph-Macon is not 500 miles from Mount Union and they did not fly there for last season's first-round game. Hobart and Cortland are actually closer to Alliance than R-MC is (shoot over to Buffalo and ride along Lake Erie and you're there), so they didn't fly.

I'll be damned, Eastern VA to Alliance is only 400 miles.  I just assumed it was much further, necessitating the flight.  I know Hobart and Cortland are closer and that's why I said that the MUC importation makes sense because they are close enough to most Western/Central NY teams (plus probably the MAC teams also), but the RMC one still doesn't strike me as random as much as concocted.  MUC deserved (and deserves most years) a #1 seed, overall and should get the weakest entrant, but so much of the process seems less than random that I still think they may as well seed all 32 and use the committee.  Obviously with flights and $$ this won't happen, but the mixing of subjective with systematic just looks worse. 

That was my point with the Pool C this year.  Its looking like they're going to have to import more than one team right now.  It's not just about a #1 seed.  Are they just going to pull in a lesser playoff entrant (assuming that's not from the East, which is a big leap right now) to feed to MUC, or are they going to do something different this year. 

altor

I know MUC is the one everybody thinks of when they think of importing a North team to the East because that is what has been done in the past couple of years.  But, if an undefeated Wesley is put in that bracket, I don't see the committee sending MUC there too.  Look for Case Western Reserve to be sent East instead.  It's only about 50 miles from Alliance.

pumkinattack

John Carroll was sent over in 02 and Centennial teams (plus maybe PAC teams) have been put in this bracket (have to stop calling it a region even though the Pool A bids and distance restrictions make it sort of a regional), so there's a lot of things can be done.  Historically its been that the east will have a handful of teams in the, say 10 - 30 or so range, but no one in the top 6-8, so the #1 seed has been the question.  This year, there may not be criteria worthy pool C's (although we may see one between the MAC and NJAC, as well as the crazy possibility that Plymouth State grabs one if they lose to Curry), which means there are a lot more possibilities in the east.  That's what I'm curious the more experienced and knowledgeable playoff posters would suppose can/will happen.   

Ralph Turner

Franklin lost to Mount St Joseph 26-16.

I mention this game because MSJ probably ascends to the best ranking in the North Region by a HCAC team next Wednesday, and has the inside track for the Pool A bid. 

Should Thomas More be in consideration for a Pool C bid, a win over MSJ in the Bridge Bowl will be a good one to have.

altor

Does a loss to I-AA Butler kill Franklin's Pool C chances?  The way I see it, the committee could see Franklin as an 5-1 team, including a win over Trine who is currently 6-1.

HScoach

Don't count out Ohio Northern quite yet even though they have 2 losses.   Their win over North Central keeps looking better and better.  And their 2 losses are quality with 30-10 against Mount after being tied 10-10 at half and then 38-36 against Otterbein who is still undefeated.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HScoach on October 24, 2009, 08:35:22 PM
Don't count out Ohio Northern quite yet even though they have 2 losses.   Their win over North Central keeps looking better and better.  And their 2 losses are quality with 30-10 against Mount after being tied 10-10 at half and then 38-36 against Otterbein who is still undefeated.

Otterbein at MUC on Nov 7th.

ONU at Capital on Nov 7th.

Those look like they are games for Pool C bids, too.

FightnScot77

Quote from: altor on October 24, 2009, 07:17:36 PM
Does a loss to I-AA Butler kill Franklin's Pool C chances?  The way I see it, the committee could see Franklin as an 5-1 team, including a win over Trine who is currently 6-1.

Keith's words:
HEARTLAND COLLEGIATE ATHLETIC CONFERENCE (HCAC)
Kickoff '09 ranking: 18th
Playoff prospects: AQ; Pool C bid possible (NOTE: wording)
Intensity of title race: Kneel down. Week 8 Franklin vs. Mount St. Joseph seems to be the title-decider. The conference's other teams each have three losses or more. Pool C potential is there for the Grizzlies-Lions loser, as Franklin's non-conference wins over Trine and Baldwin-Wallace could help, as would a season-finale victory against Thomas More for MSJ.
To answer your question..the committee doesn't handicap Franklin because of the losss to Butler...you are right about in region record currently at 5-1.

The north (and west region) is loaded this year. Pool C seed bids are going to be tight and a one-loss team (in region) will likely stay home this year. The season isn't over and while I like your chances (should you win out!), I'm not on the committee. Good luck here on out.
"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, "I'm thirsty, not dirty". Joe Lewis

altor

Quote from: FightnScot77 on October 24, 2009, 08:56:38 PMThe season isn't over and while I like your chances (should you win out!), I'm not on the committee. Good luck here on out.
Not my team.  I'm a grad from another HCAC school.  But thanks for the reply.

usee

ONU would most certainly be the #1 2 loss team on the board (and then Bethel?) but at this point there are an awful lot of 1 loss teams. Its been rare that a 2 loss team gets a chance but if it gets that far ONU has a good chance.

HSC85

I counted 50 teams with 0 or 1 region loss at this time. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HSC85 on October 25, 2009, 06:11:00 PM
I counted 50 teams with 0 or 1 region loss at this time.  
I anticipate that 22 of the 23 Pool A teams will have 0 or 1 in-region loss.

We still have three big weekends of conference play, too.

These were some of the choice ones that I found in looking for games in this week's ASC Pick'ems.

Cal Lu at Oxy (and Redlands at Cal Lu on 11/14)

North Central at IWU  (and Wheaton at IWU on 11/7)

UW-Whitewater at UW-Stevens Point (One UWSP loss to Central)

Rowan at Kean  (Montclair at Rowan on 11/7 and Kean at Montclair St on 11/14)

Thomas More at W&J  (Thomas More at MSJ on 11/14).

There are 13 teams of your current 50.

Here are some more games among 0-1 loss teams in the next three weeks.

Albright plays Del Valley on 11/7 and LebValley on 11/14 to decide the MAC.

Undefeateds Otterbein at MUC on 11/7.

Ralph Turner

East Region
1. Albright 6-0 7-0   MAC(FDU, at Del Valley, Leb Valley)
2. Alfred 6-0 6-0        E8(Rochester,  at Ithaca, Utica)
3. Delaware Valley 5-0 6-1 6-1   MAC(at Kings Albright  at Widener)
4. Kean 6-1 6-1          NJAC(Rowan,  at WPU, at Montclair St)
5. Rowan 6-1 6-1             NJAC(at Kean; Montclair St, New Jersey)
6. Montclair State 6-1 6-1   NJAC(WConn, at Rowan, Kean)
7. Springfield 6-1 6-1          E8  (hosts Ithaca and SJF; open)
8. Lebanon Valley 6-1 6-1MAC(at Widener, Lycoming at Albright)
9. Union 5-1 5-2                   LL(RPI  at Merchant Marine,  Susquehanna)
10. Curry 6-1 6-2                NEFC     (at Nichols, Mass-Dartmouth, NEFC Championship)

Pat Coleman has confirmed that JHU and Wesley are in-region (200-mile radius) rule.

Ralph Turner

North Region
1. Mount Union 6-0 7-0OACat JCU, Otterbein, Marietta
2. Otterbein 7-0 7-0OACat Marietta, at Mount Union, JCU
3. Wittenberg 5-0 7-0NCACat Denison, Allegheny, Wooster
4. Case Western Reserve 6-0 7-0Pool Bat Chicago, at Carnegie-Mellon, Wash UStL
5. Mount St. Joseph 7-0 7-0HCACat Manchester, Defiance, Thomas More*
6. North Central (Ill.) 6-1 6-1CCIWat IWU, at Augustana, Elmhurst
7. Wabash 5-1 6-1NCACat Oberlin, Hiram, at DePauw**
8. Wheaton (Ill.) 6-1 6-1CCIWElmhurst, at IWU, Carthage
9. Illinois Wesleyan 6-1 6-1CCIW     North Central, Wheaton, at North Park
10. Trine 6-1 6-1MIAAAlbion, Adrian Ky, Christian

*Thomas More is a Regionally Ranked (South) team.

**Wabash/DePauw Monon Bell game is between regional ranked teams

Ralph Turner

South Region
1. Wesley 3-0 4-0 7-0Pool BSalisbury, Lake Erie, Ohio Dominican
2. Mississippi College 6-0 6-1ASCHoward Payne, at Sul Ross State, Texas Lutheran
3. Washington and Jefferson 7-0 7-0Pres ACThomas More, at Bethany, Waynesburg
4. Hampden-Sydney 8-0 8-0ODACat Catholic, Salisbury, at RMC
5. Mary Hardin-Baylor 4-1 6-1ASCETBU, at Howard Payne, Sul Ross State
6. Thomas More 7-0 7-0Pres ACat W&J, Geneva, at MSJ*
7. Centre 6-1 6-1SCACRhodes, at Trinity TX, open date
8. Huntingdon** 3-0 6-1Pool BLaGrange, at BSC, at South Alabama
9. Dickinson 6-1 6-1CCat Muhlenberg, Juniata, Ursinus
10. DePauw 5-1 5-1SCACat BSC, Austin, Wabash***

*Mount St Joseph is a Regionally Ranked (North) Team.

**Huntingdon may have 2 more in-region wins over SLIAC opponents.

Pat Coleman has confirmed that Wesley's win over Delaware Valley is in-region by virtue of the 200-mile radius rule.

***Wabash/DePauw Monon Bell game is between regional ranked teams