MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Elmhurst 89
IWU 72

A complete boatrace.

IWU is now done with games at Elmhurst, NCC, and Augustana.

Elmhurst has not yet played at NCC, Augustana, and IWU.

Long way to go.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on January 22, 2020, 09:39:43 PM
IWU never in this one -- men and boys -- EC over IWU 89-72.  IWU down 20 at the half.

A stinker.

EC in the conference race driver's seat for sure. 

IWU'70

Uh, Mark, trying explaining that to the Cardinals. They're tied for first with EC.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 22, 2020, 09:44:27 PM
Uh, Mark, trying explaining that to the Cardinals. They're tied for first with EC.

Not only that, but North Central won at Elmhurst...so NCC has an edge in the tie.

kenoshamark

Greg,

Nice win for North Park!  Any indication why Cook didn't play?

Gregory Sager

NPU 72, CC 68

Izaiah Sanders: 14 pts, 6 rebs, 7:2 a:to
Lawrence Pointer: 14 pts (4-7 trey)
Toby Marek: 12 pts
Matt Szuba: 11 pts, 7 rebs, 6:2 a:to
Karl Polk, Jr. 11 pts
Adam Bulwa: 8 rebs

Brad Perry: 18 pts, 14 rebs, 9 blks
Kienan Baltimore: 15 pts, 6:2 a:to
Jordon Kedrowski: 10 pts, 3:0 a:to
Sean Johnson: 11 rebs

The Vikings survived a near-triple-double-the-hard-way by Brad Perry to prevail tonight in the crackerbox in front of a ton of North Park basketball alumni. The Vikings clearly aren't used to playing with a lead, and it showed -- they had multiple double-digit leads throughout the game, including a ten-point bulge at 67-57 with 3:47 left, and kept squandering them. That elusive mastery of the art of playing with a lead was sorely missing down the stretch, as Jordon Kedrowski sparked a Red Men run that cut the NPU lead to two at 67-65 with 2:15 to go. After a Toby Marek FT extended that to three, NPU finally delivered a dagger with 54 seconds left and only a tick remaining on the shot clock when Matt Szuba buried a trey from the right corner. Carthage never again had a chance to tie with the ball in its hands.

Izaiah Sanders was sensational tonight. It looked like Carthage really missed Crishawn Cook, because Bosko Djurickovic had absolutely nobody who could stay in front of Sanders. Matt Szuba had a solid night in amongst the Carthage trees, and Lawrence Pointer was money off of the bench. Alex Flute made his first big impression for the Vikings varsity with a pair of key treys down the stretch.

This doesn't redeem what has become a nightmare season, of course. But it was sure great to see the Vikings at least crack the goose egg on the left-hand side of the CCIW standings.  I suspect that the Vikings are going to start getting other people's best efforts from now on, but this is still a win that a young team can build on.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: kenoshamark on January 22, 2020, 09:57:03 PM
Greg,

Nice win for North Park!  Any indication why Cook didn't play?

Not sure. He wasn't limping around or anything. Just didn't dress for some reason. As I said, Bosko could've used him tonight.

npcballboy

Nice to see NP get a conference win tonight. How many of those alumni sitting behind the Carthage bench were actually cheering for their alma mater? I understand some of it but it's almost like they played for Bosko U. and not NP. Speaking of Bosko, how much longer til Stevie takes over? Kid was doing a lot of coaching during timeouts.

iwu70

Yes, I understand the standings . . . I've said all along I think NCC will win the conference.  But, seems to me right now that EC is playing the best of all the teams, has the best overall record, ranked higher in national and likely regional polls?   . . . we'll see at the end of the day.  They handled the TITANS so easily. 

More to go. . .

IWU'70 

markerickson

A by-product of NPU's senseless offense is their low FT shot attempts.  While the Vikings led by double digits at halftime, due to good trey completion, I figured the team would lose as it would not repeat the shooting percentage from beyond the arc.  Sure enough, Carthage took the lead.  NPU continued to battle instead of folding ala Augie.  Sean Johnson, son of NPC center Dan Mulkerin (he was a starter on the '87 national championship team) had at least six blocks for the Redmen.  Brad Perry had an excellent game, as Greg noted, and Baltimore seemed disinterested.  Matt Szuba played very well on the defensive end, as usual, but I think he is too hesitant to forward his O game.  He has regressed offensively.  Was this Bosko's last game at Foster and Kedzie?
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

lmitzel

Quote from: iwu70 on January 22, 2020, 10:53:59 PM
Yes, I understand the standings . . . I've said all along I think NCC will win the conference.  But, seems to me right now that EC is playing the best of all the teams, has the best overall record, ranked higher in national and likely regional polls?   . . . we'll see at the end of the day.  They handled the TITANS so easily.

Lest you forget, North Central blew the doors off your Titans as well just a couple weeks ago. They didn't lead by as many as Elmhurst did, sure, and in both games the Titans scored some in garbage time to make the margin more reasonable, but still.

I agree with the general assessment that yes, Elmhurst is probably playing better right now, but the Cardinals are just as hot on the whole. With eight to go, anything can happen, but the two bird teams have done a nice job separating themselves from the rest of the pack. We probably won't know who will take the crown until the rematch in Naperville in a couple weeks.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

79jaybird

Nice win for Elmhurst holding serve at home.   Elmhurst still has to go to N-Ville and Rock Island.  Two difficult road games. 

EC/NC creating a gap between the rest, however I don't think you could say one school (EC/NC) is ahead of the other.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

mwunder

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 22, 2020, 10:03:50 PM
NPU 72, CC 68

Izaiah Sanders: 14 pts, 6 rebs, 7:2 a:to
Lawrence Pointer: 14 pts (4-7 trey)
Toby Marek: 12 pts
Matt Szuba: 11 pts, 7 rebs, 6:2 a:to
Karl Polk, Jr. 11 pts
Adam Bulwa: 8 rebs

Brad Perry: 18 pts, 14 rebs, 9 blks
Kienan Baltimore: 15 pts, 6:2 a:to
Jordon Kedrowski: 10 pts, 3:0 a:to
Sean Johnson: 11 rebs

Carthage crapped the bed, losing to a team they should have handled.  Another game of one pass, launch a three...or missing wide open layups...or not taking care of the basketball.  It's become an all to familiar story for the Red Men.  Not sure I agree with the intentional foul call against Baltimore with about 3 minutes remaining, but whatever.  This is back-to-back-to-back poor showings by Carthage.  I'm not sure this team is getting better as the season goes on.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but it looks like the win over then #2 Oshkosh is going to be the highlight win of the season.

Highlights of the night by the NP announcer on the video stream (who I assume is Mr. Sager).   "Rim, glass, twine" as the description of a free throw that did exactly that.  Also describing a trip to the free throw line as a sojourn was well played.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: mwunder on January 23, 2020, 09:56:42 AMCarthage crapped the bed, losing to a team they should have handled.  Another game of one pass, launch a three...or missing wide open layups...or not taking care of the basketball.  It's become an all to familiar story for the Red Men.  Not sure I agree with the intentional foul call against Baltimore with about 3 minutes remaining, but whatever.

It actually happened with 1:36 left and NPU up by two. I was screened by Sean Johnson and Matt Szuba, as they were tangled up in the paint while Toby Marek flew past them on the far side towards Baltimore, and since the camera is only about five feet to my left I doubt that the angle for the viewer was any better than mine. Thus, I can't say anything for certain about the manner of Baltimore's foul. All I know is that Marek went flying and landed hard on his back. It might've been a good call; it might've been one of those calls refs make because of the severity of the landing; and, for all we know, it might've just been a case of Baltimore now being a marked man among CCIW officials, although I tend to doubt that. But Baltimore didn't really protest the call. He just walked away and rolled his eyes after Clarence Rak had signaled with crossed arms towards the scorer's table.

Quote from: mwunder on January 23, 2020, 09:56:42 AMThis is back-to-back-to-back poor showings by Carthage.  I'm not sure this team is getting better as the season goes on.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but it looks like the win over then #2 Oshkosh is going to be the highlight win of the season.

Highlights of the night by the NP announcer on the video stream (who I assume is Mr. Sager).   "Rim, glass, twine" as the description of a free throw that did exactly that.  Also describing a trip to the free throw line as a sojourn was well played.

Thanks! But it's "iron, glass, twine," not "rim, glass, twine." ;) I've made it a signature call of mine for free throws that strike the rim and then the backboard before going through the net, but I freely admit that I stole it from the University of Chicago's P.A. announcer from about a decade ago. "Sojourn" is all mine, though. :D

lmitzel

I wanted to try and take a look at just how good everyone's been one time through conference play, so I went and figured out just how good everyone's been. Using Daryl Morey's version of Pythagorean win percentage for basketball, here's what the standings should be:

• Wheaton: 6.9-1.1
  • Elmhurst: 6.7-1.3
  • NCC: 6.5-1.5
  • Augie: 6.2-1.8
  • Carthage: 3.7-4.3
  • IWU: 3.6-4.4
  • Carroll: 3.6-4.4
  • Millikin: 0.6-7.4
  • NPU: 0.4-7.6

I was a little surprised Wheaton has the best win percentage based on this, but their three losses (by 3 in OT at NCC, by 6 in OT at Augie, by 7 vs Elmhurst) are buoyed by their three double-digit wins back in December. NCC and Elmhurst have at least a little luck (NCC a tad more so; I expected their Pythagorean record to be a little worse than this with three one-possession wins). Illinois Wesleyan and Carroll, interestingly enough, both have a point differential of -8 through eight games, so their records in this are identical (Carroll's because pretty much all of their losses have been close, while the Titans' three losses are by double digits).
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

mwunder

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 23, 2020, 11:03:33 AM
Quote from: mwunder on January 23, 2020, 09:56:42 AM

Thanks! But it's "iron, glass, twine," not "rim, glass, twine." ;) I've made it a signature call of mine for free throws that strike the rim and then the backboard before going through the net, but I freely admit that I stole it from the University of Chicago's P.A. announcer from about a decade ago. "Sojourn" is all mine, though. :D

Dang!!??...you're right (obviously).  You may be able to make that into a rhyme if it's the second free throw or the 'and-one' attempt...."Iron. glass, twine, on that sojourn to the line"