MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on February 21, 2019, 09:41:27 PM
Johnnies dismantle Bethel 82-49. Who saw that coming?

Go Augies!  Augsburg up 46-32 at the half over Tommies.

Not me!  I figured SJU would win, but expected it to be in the 10-ish point range.  Disappointed that my royals didn't put up more of a fight.

MIACHoops

What a great effort by the Tommie's to make it a game at the end last night.  Booker and co. prove to be too much, and the Tommie's will limp into the dance.. I don't see them making a run in the national tournament, they seemed to have peaked at the wrong time (midseason).  The Johnnies look like the team we all expected them to be, I don't see Augsburg going into Sexton Arena and taking down SJU, but I didn't expect it last year and that's exactly what they did.  Although I'll be cheering for the Auggies so we can see 3 MIAC schools in the dance, I think the Johnnies' size will be too much for the Auggies to handle. 

Does Booker Coplin have a legitimate chance at national player of the year if the Auggies make it to the national tournament?  I haven't done a whole lot of research on other players around the country, but with Booker at 2nd in scoring at 27.3ppg to go along with 9.3rpg, 3.4apg, 2.2 spg, and 1 bpg I have to think he does.  All while shooting at a 50/40/90 clip.  I can't say I've ever seen a better year from a MIAC player.       

With only the championship game remaining, I thought it would be a good time to recognize how great a senior class the MIAC had this year.  7 seniors eclipsed 1,000 career points for their respective schools.  I did some career statistical research on those 7 and here's what I came up with:

David Stokman (SJU) - Career Shooting - 47.5% FG, 46.4% 3FG, 86.3% FT.  Career Averages - 13.7ppg, 3.8rpg, 2.9apg.  His 1,462 points rank 5th all time in the Johnnie record book.  His 260 3 pointers made rank 1st in Johnnie history.  Stokman has had an unbelievable career, unfortunately the Johnnie record book only has the career leader for stats such as rebounds and assists otherwise he likely sits in the top 10 in those categories as well.  He's a 2x Academic All-American, 4x MIAC Athlete of the Week, MIAC All-FY Team, and 2x All-conference.  He'll add to those marks in the coming days when the MIAC releases their all-conference honors.  Can Stokman add a national title to the resume?!?!

Derek Magnuson (Bethel) - Career Shooting - 59.8% FG, 41.2% 3FG (maybe Coach Novak should have had him shooting more than the 34 he took   ;D) 72.2% FT.  Career Averages - 12.4ppg, 6.9rpg, 1apg.  Magnuson sits atop the Bethel record book for career fg% at his 59.8, overtaking Kyle Zimmerman.  He is 14th in scoring all-time with 1,341 points, and 9th in rebounding with 742.  He was a member of the MIAC All-FY team and has since been an all-conf honorable mention.  He will surely add an All-Conf after this seasons awards come out.  Bethel will miss his inside presence.

Riley Sharbono (Gustavus) - Career Shooting - 46.6% FG, 38.3% 3FG, 78.2% FT.  Career Averages - 12.3ppg, 3rpg, 1.2apg.  Sharbono's 1,233 points put him 17th in scoring in the Gustie record book.  His 155 3 pointers made put him 5th all time in that category.  Also a 1x MIAC Athlete of the Week, All-Conf Honorable mention as well as an All-conference award his junior year.  He likely will add another all-conf in the coming days (surely an HM at the very least, but can't see a playoff team not getting an all-conf player), it was good to see the Gusties get back into the playoffs, one last hoorah for Sharbono.

Austin Korba (St. Olaf) - Career Shooting - 45.5% FG, 34.5% 3FG, 67.6% FT.  Career Averages - 11.6ppg, 4.6rpg, 2apg.  Korba's 1,135 points put him 12th in the Oles book.  He comes in at 13th in rebounds (454), 2nd in 3FGM (135), and 5th FGM (401).  The Oles book only dates back to the '03 season, an important note.  Nonetheless, a terrific career for Korba.  He was an all-conference player last season and will surely get that honor again this season.  The Oles could look a lot different next year without his scoring, rebounding, etc.     

Isaac Brooks (Hamline) - Career Shooting - 50.5% FG, 30.5% 3FG, 71.7% FT.  Career Averages - 11.2ppg, 4.2rpg, 1.4apg.  Brooks' 1,118 points rank 16th all-time at Hamline.  He sits 11th at FGM (449), and 10th in FG% (50.5).  Brooks will likely get his 1st all-conference honor this season.  A great career he hashed out as a Piper.  Hamline loses a ton this season and it will be interesting to see how the team looks next year.

Kevin McKiernan (Augsburg) - Career Shooting - 41.7% FG, 39.5% 3FG, 78.1% FT.  Career Averages - 10.1ppg, 3.1rpg, 2.2apg.  McKiernan's 108 games played sits 4th all-time, his 1,093 points sits 15th, he is 2nd in 3FGM with 191, and 10th in assists with 235.  McKiernan was often overlooked but was a huge part of the Auggies success over his 4 years.  I hope to see him dancing after Saturday  :).

Wyatt Ferm (Macalester) - Career Shooting - 44.7% FG, 28.4% 3FG, 63.4% FT.  Career Averages - 13.4ppg, 6.7rpg, 2.2apg.  Ferm's 1059 points put him 17th all-time in MAC history.  MAC doesn't seem to have a record book for rebounds or his 526 rebounds would likely be up there as well.  Would be fun to see where these numbers would sit if he hadn't studied abroad last season - or if MAC hadn't played at that hellacious pace all of last year, which lead to him only getting 20mpg.  Ferm will surely add his 1st all-conf honors this season (at the very least HM). 

We should also note the 3 Tommie seniors who all have a national title (I'm sure they wouldn't trade it for 1,000 career points  ;)) - Connor Bair, Michael Hannon, and GT Johnson.

It's not too often you see a senior class with 7 guys scoring 1,000 career points.  All left their print on their respective schools and the MIAC will surely miss them!  Let's hope McKiernan and Stokman can continue to add to their marks and we can watch them deep into March!

Drake Palmer

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 22, 2019, 01:35:20 PM
I want to clarify, I never said or think he won't return to Augsburg. He seems to have a good thing going there and enjoying himself with two straight MIAC championship games. The MIAC would love to have him. I just think he is good enough, if the right team showed interest, that he could play at a higher level. That is all. Pure speculation.

From the prairies to the Red River Valley, Smitty Oom is speculating and dropping rumors like it's hot.  I've got a new moniker for you - "Prairie Fire."  I kid, I kid! ;D

If the basketball gods should grace us with their presence and allow both Augsburg and Wheaton to advance to the Big Dance, and pair them up, we should start a Coplin Francis comparison thread. I love both of their styles and approaches to the game. And their names, tremendous names! Aston & Booker.  :)

Booker has that little street shimmy, crossover, and drive, or pull up for the triple.

Aston has that back you down, quick, turnaround, fadeaway, one legged trey. One of the first times I saw that shot, I thought to myself, "I can't believe his coach lets him get away with that shot."  But then they kept going in... 
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Drake Palmer

Man, MIACHoops, where you been - the commissioner's office? Since it seems our Miacmaniac has taken a brief break, we need more posters like you on this board.  Great first post! +K
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

miac952

A couple thoughts & questions:

Yes, the Tommie D has been deficient the last quarter of the season. Without improvements on D and someone you can lean on for big buckets at the end of a game, an early NCAA exit is probable.

When was the last time the MIAC received three bids? Would love to see this happen.

Coplin could transfer, but would have to sit out unless he was seeking a grad transfer to a D1 school if he is on track to graduate. Or is that only a D1 to D1 rule? He has the length and scoring ability to be a tremendous asset to teams like SDSU, USD, NDSU, Drake or others.

MIACHoops

Quote from: miac952 on February 22, 2019, 04:16:53 PM

Yes, the Tommie D has been deficient the last quarter of the season. Without improvements on D and someone you can lean on for big buckets at the end of a game, an early NCAA exit is probable.

When was the last time the MIAC received three bids? Would love to see this happen.

Last season the MIAC had 3 NCAA Tournament teams, with Olaf, Augsburg, and St. John's. Olaf being the only one that advanced past the first round.

MIACHoops

Quote from: Drake Palmer on February 22, 2019, 03:21:14 PM
Man, MIACHoops, where you been - the commissioner's office? Since it seems our Miacmaniac has taken a brief break, we need more posters like you on this board.  Great first post! +K

:D - glad to be here. Diamond in the rough!!

miac952

Quote from: MIACHoops on February 22, 2019, 04:25:00 PM
Quote from: miac952 on February 22, 2019, 04:16:53 PM

Last season the MIAC had 3 NCAA Tournament teams, with Olaf, Augsburg, and St. John's. Olaf being the only one that advanced past the first round.

My lack of attention in down Tommie years is showing.  ;D. All I remember from last year is UMBC, der, Bethany Lutheran, pulling off the upset against the Johns.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: MIACHoops on February 22, 2019, 03:05:19 PM
Does Booker Coplin have a legitimate chance at national player of the year if the Auggies make it to the national tournament?  I haven't done a whole lot of research on other players around the country, but with Booker at 2nd in scoring at 27.3ppg to go along with 9.3rpg, 3.4apg, 2.2 spg, and 1 bpg I have to think he does.  All while shooting at a 50/40/90 clip.  I can't say I've ever seen a better year from a MIAC player.       

Great post MIACHoops!! Love all the research and thought into that post! This thread has been very active lately, love to see it! Thats probably because Prairie Fire is dropping hot rumors  ;D ;)

I was actually thinking about this earlier... I think if he makes a final four run it is possible to usurp Aston Francis as National POY, but the chances are very unlikely that happens.

Smitty Oom

Stuck between a rock and a hard place... Auggies winning would be awesome for the nation to see Booker Coplin and getting 3 MIAC schools in. However, if SJU wins the have a shot at hosting the first round pod since no WIAC school will host (UWO women's will) and UST probably doesn't have the resume/Women's are hosting. Another loss for UST and 2 more wins for SJU could mean they leap frog UST in regional rankings. Midwest host sites will be NWU and Auggie, more than likely Whitman will get to hostin in WA, but they will take some of the island qualifiers with flights. Seems reasonable to think they have a shot to host if they win and things fall into place.

Drake Palmer

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 23, 2019, 12:31:30 PM
Stuck between a rock and a hard place... Auggies winning would be awesome for the nation to see Booker Coplin and getting 3 MIAC schools in. However, if SJU wins the have a shot at hosting the first round pod since no WIAC school will host (UWO women's will) and UST probably doesn't have the resume/Women's are hosting. Another loss for UST and 2 more wins for SJU could mean they leap frog UST in regional rankings. Midwest host sites will be NWU and Auggie, more than likely Whitman will get to hostin in WA, but they will take some of the island qualifiers with flights. Seems reasonable to think they have a shot to host if they win and things fall into place.

Yeah, it is a tough choice. Here's something else to consider.  In addition to being hoopers, both Booker Coplin & David Stokman are scholars as well.

https://www.miacathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20190223dh1ujx

Smitty Oom

Greatness is usually something that isn't just stumbled upon. Given their GPAs and majors/career paths pretty clear these two student athletes are very hard working/determined individuals in everything they do, basketball/school/etc.  Not enough adjectives to describe them. Love these stories, thanks for sharing, Drake.

bball1122

Congrats to the Johnnies.   They took a bunch of haymakers from the Auggies and they survived them all.    I think they have a tournament run in them.   I defy anyone to show me a better D3 player than Booker Coplin.  What an incredible performance in a loss.  He's stepped up, and then some, at every point this season.   Excited to watch him for another year.  Hopefully the Tommies and Johnnies both have a few more wins in them.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: bball1122 on February 23, 2019, 09:52:52 PM
Congrats to the Johnnies.   They took a bunch of haymakers from the Auggies and they survived them all.    I think they have a tournament run in them.   I defy anyone to show me a better D3 player than Booker Coplin.  What an incredible performance in a loss.  He's stepped up, and then some, at every point this season.   Excited to watch him for another year.  Hopefully the Tommies and Johnnies both have a few more wins in them.

I was rooting for Auggie on the off chance there would be a Booker Coplin/Aston Francis matchup.  If there is a better D3 player than Booker, Aston's the guy.  (As a CCIW guy, my money's on Aston.)

Smitty Oom

St. John's 82
Augsburg 79

I only was able to keep one eye on the game until the very end, but seemed like an awfully entertaining game with a great atmosphere. The SJU community absolutely PACKED Sexton Arena. I will let others analyze the game, but from the box score looks like the Auggies were settling for a lot of jumpers, they hoisted 34 3's (made 14) and only took 8 FT and 2 were by Coplin at the end when Stokman fouled him bringing the ball up the court. St. John's D has been great all season so if they were able to cut off driving lanes on the athletic Dawgs, I would not be shocked.

Coplin with the stat line of the night in D3 hoops... 46 points (17-30 FG / 7-16 3PT / 5-6 FT, intentionally missed the last FT)) and 11 rebounds with a steal and a block playing all 40 minutes, IN THE MIAC CHAMPIONSHIP AGAINST THE 8th BEST DEFENSIVE TEAM IN THE NATION BASED ON OPP FG%. His 2018-2019 is beyond efficient and insane, one last congrats to you sir and the Auggies season overall.

St. John's will now be waiting to see how the committee puts together the bracket, as they definitely have a chance at hosting a first round pod. I hope they do so I can make the trip up 94 on Friday like I did last year!