FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolarCat

My God, are we still blaming things on Bush?  I thought Putin and Houma had supplanted him as the bad guys?

amh63

Been absent on this board and others for awhile...enjoying the season and all with family.  Hope everyone had a sane New Year :)
In any case, was getting myself adjusted to football after watching my Redskins miss out in the NFL playoffs and my picks for the D1 National title get in.  How about the ACC  putting some hurt to the overblown Big 10....err...Big whatever number!
Do find the chatter on this board following those on TV wrt to coaches, QBs, etc..
Best of all, I did miss the humor and "smack" of PolarCat and Frank U.  No, it is the "puzzling wisdom" of Frank U.
Yes it is recruiting time again!  Did watch some HS football on TV.  Some of those All-American players are from the D.C. Area.  Boy, Amherst could use some of those OLs...6'4" 300 plus players...with good feet and smarts.  Do not expect any info on Amherst's recruits until late, late Summer.  Looking forward to what the uniforms via UnderArmour will look like in the Fall.  Like IslandTime...expect Amherst to compete for the title against the usual schools again with Tufts dropping down a bit in the race.

lumbercat

Early recruiting news-

2 RBs that will have significant influence in the NESCAC over the next 4 years-

Tufts- Mike Pedrini Melrose,Ma - follows his classmate Jay Tyler to Tufts as Coach Civetti continues to stack the deck. Pedrini drew stong Ivy and Patriot interest but elected to stay close to home at Tufts.

Bates- Christian Sanfilippo Gloucester,Ma- Prototype NESCAC back, 5'9" 191- confirmed 4.52 40. Chose Bates over a number of other options including Patriot league and 1aa.

And a nice score for the Purple-
Amherst- Matt Albino -Choate--OL 6'2" 265- Ivy and Patriot recruit- coveted prospect who will be a top lineman in the NESCAC

quicksilver

Here's a link to the start of a list of Connecticut-based recruits

It includes 7 NESCAC-bound recruits:

Amherst:
Matt Albino, OL, Choate

Bowdoin:
Jake Kastenhuber, LB, Choate
David Monti, C, Choate

Middlebury:
Nick Leone, LB/FB, Daniel Hand HS
Anthony Petronsinelli, OL, Fairfield Prep

Wesleyan:
Sean Penney, WR, Simsbury HS
Julian Ross, RB/DB, Staples HA

The 3 Choate products (Albino to Amherst and Kabenhuber & Monti to Bowdoin) are all members of the all-NEPSAC team . .

PBPOP20

quicksilver

Quote from: PBPOP20 on January 10, 2017, 10:03:39 AM
David Monti attended Cheshire.

Monti is a member of Choate's class of 2017  . . .

Cards31

Bates- Christian Sanfilippo Gloucester,Ma- Prototype NESCAC back, 5'9" 191- confirmed 4.52 40. Chose Bates over a number of other options including Patriot league and 1aa.

Sanfilippo sounds like a very good NESCAC fit, but please take reports of 40 times with a grain of salt.  He ran 6.95 (fully automated timing) for 55m in late December. His PR in the 100 in 2016 is listed as 12.02

There is certainly a difference between football speed and track speed, but these times do not equate to 4.52.

lumbercat

Cards 31

I agree, aware of his track stats and its a point well taken. 40 times and other metrics on HUDL and other recruiting hypes are usually embellished as you point out.
The 40 time posted was from the Ma High School combine so while it could be an aberration I gave it some credibility.

PolarCat

I felt bad for all the NFL fans who were forced to watch those boring playoffs yesterday.  Clearly, the 'Boys, Pack and Steelers didn't get the memo that kickers aren't football players.  Think of how much more exciting the games would have been if the anti-kicker element on here had their way. 

The league needs fewer Mason Crosby's with ice water in their veins, and more "real football players" like Kelce, whose hissy fit may have ruined the Chiefs' chances.

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  Bring on the -K's; the excitement last night was worth it.

frank uible

Football as entertainment and the status of punters/place kickers are unrelated subjects.

westcoastDad

PolarCat....thanks for the chuckle.  Knowing many of ya live in the NE..... who is G.O.A.T.  Brady or Montana?  I say Montana because Brady would not have survived the physicality of the 80s game.  Today's QB rarely get hit and really benefit rule changes.  Basically a 7 on 7 league now.  Curious to your thoughts.

And Happy New Year's

lumbercat

Westcoastdad-
the rule changes from Montana to Brady era have nothing to do with how quickly guys get to the QB. The changes involve how a defender can invoke contact on the QB when he gets there.
Brady get it out so quick its seldom an issue- and if Brady needed to get it out even quicker Belechick will have a scheme for that.....and you may see it in the next 10 days.

PolarCat

The flaw in WCD's argument is that lots of great QB's in the 60's, 70's and 80's weren't particularly physical.  Fran Tarkenton.  Roger Staubach.  Daryl Lamonica.  Phil Simms.  Boomer.  Joe Namath (talk about fragile!)  Doug Flutie.  Ken Stabler.  None of them any tougher than TB12. 

In fact, I think the list of successful non-physical QB's from that period is as long as the list of brutes,  In the brute category, I'd include: Elway, Aikman, Jim McMahon, Jim Plunkett, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre.

Unless you go back to the days of Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas and George Blanda, I don't think the ratio of "tough" vs. "finesse" QB's isa much different from today.  For example, I'm not a fan of his, but I think Ben Roethlisberger is twice as tough as Montana ever was.

Besides, all signs point to Brady still playing into his 40's, which is its own special form of toughness.

P'bearfan

http://nypost.com/2017/01/25/how-an-engineer-gave-up-his-life-and-became-patriots-mastermind/

Interesting article in today's NY Post on NE Patriots' DC Matt Patricia.  Didn't realize that he got his start in coaching as an assistant at Amherst.

amh63

The connections/ contacts maybe more than meets the eye.  There was/is a large presence of GE and nuclear sub/ navy gov't work in Pittsfield, Ma.  Traveled often to the area during my working days.  Nuclear Subs are built in New London, etc.  In any case Nescac  schools abounds.  Williams, Amherst and Wesleyan do play good football and possible openings are in the papers.  Then it helps that the owners of the Giants(Tufts grad) and Patriots(Williams Grad) are D3 fans. All are aware of the caliber of grads from RPI. 
My two cents worth.
Oops..forgot some news.  Seems that Patricia may have turned down an offer for a Head Coach job on the West Coach to remain with the Patriots for now.  Money doesn' t seem to be his primary goal..it seems :).