BB: LEC: Little East Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Congratulations to USM on an outstanding season!!!!

kscer

Congrats to coach Flaherty and the men of Gorham. You did us proud. What might have been if Carmen was healthy...

wordsmith

USM - Congrats to the team on a job well done!
Word

hockeyfan77

USM beat Ithaca 5-4 in 13 innings and lost 4-1 to Linfield to finish the season at 46-10!!!! Congrats on a great season and a great run through the championship series all while shorthanded on arms!!!

JustAFan

USM's Andrew Richards is a warrior, and Coach Flaherty is a great coach who knows a lot more about baseball than me, but I still worry that he may have put Richards baseball future in jeopardy by not only keeping him in the game for so long in game one today but then bringing him back to start game 2.

In an era when pitch counts of 100 are at the upper end of what pros are asked to do, Richards threw 152 pitches over 12 innings in the first game against Ithaca.  But what blew my mind is that he was brought back an hour later and threw 3.1 more innings, and another 57 pitches.  That's 209 pitches in one day!!  I don't care what kind of rubber arm Richards may have; at what point should a coach say "enough", and protect a young pitcher, especially when there are another 10 arms on the team to pick up the slack?  Remember that Richards pitched 5 innings (58 pitches) in USM's first game on Friday,  1.1 innings (11 pitches) on Saturday and 3 innings Sunday (42 pitches). 

Richards is not going to get drafted, so you could argue that the overuse was not jeopardizing a potential pro career, but notwithstanding that at what point should  a coach know better and not overuse a kid to this extent?  I know the 1952 Holy Cross Division I NCAA championship baseball team won the title with Ron Perry pitching 2 complete games over the course of 30 hours and Jim O'Neill pitching 3 complete games in the course of 6 days, but I thought those days (and the prevailing philosophy that arms were just muscles that needed to be overextended) had come and gone.  I sure hope Mr. Richards does not have arm trouble over the remaining 2 years of what should be a great career at USM.

KSCfan

Good run by usm.  That was a crazy game to get into the finals, and just a gutsy run by the huskies.  Richards is a beast but JustaFan has a point about killing the kids arm.  I am willing to bet that he told Coach F that he wasnt coming out of the game, and It was the last game of the season.  Would of nice to see USM win the title, but still a great showing of the LEC on the national stage

hockeyfan77

Richards threw more pitches in the same day in the regionals: I think thew 224... He only throws one pitch and from an arm angle that doesn't spell at lot of energy: he threw like this last year for SMCC and in high school: he is from my home town(SP) and he would throw a complete game shutout and then throw BP the next day...He also threw a ton of innings in summer ball...The kid knows his arm...

kscer

Congrats to Conor Bierfeldt of Western Connecticut on being drafted. Good Luck to him.

ECSUalum

wordsmith

Coach L. is a great choice. Class guy, highly competitive, great recruiter, highly ethical, relates well to players and parents. He gave a certain family member of mine his first coaching break.

Certainly EConn has a new fan in me.

Good luck Matt.

Now who gets the WNEU job? - Marty Testo? Bob Prince? Brendan Eygabroat? Scott Virgulak? Jim Broughton? Others?

Word
Word

ECSUalum

Word,
In a way I feel bad for the WNEU program as LaBranch was the key to its resurgence!  However, I am overjoyed at the quality of Eastern's new head coach and I am confident he will keep the tradition of winning alive.  I hope WNEU can get an equally talented coach to take over their program as they desrve an excellent repacement!!
Any chance your family member comes to Willimantic?

KSCfan

ECSU- words family member does live about 20 minutes away from willimantic these days....

WNEC excuse me WNEU job opening is very interesting.  I know that Eastern has won 4 national championships and has amazing facilities, but dare I suggest that WNEU has been right up there with Eastern, and some could argue that maybe even better than Eastern last couple of years.  Eastern is a great opportunity for any coach, but coach L is leaving a quality program that he built.  Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just some devils advocate.  Good luck coach L at Eastern, I hope he does well.....(just not against keene!)

WNEU is a great program for any coach to step into. 

Cool to see interview on youtube.

Bishopleftiesdad

ECSUalum

new ECSU athletics web site location:
http://gowarriorathletics.com/landing/index

The new site has nice set of photos, (bird's eye views of outdoor facilities), of athletic facilities, which they never had before!!

ECSUalum

Eastern Warrior 2014 baseball roster published!!!!!!

http://gowarriorathletics.com/sports/bsb/2013-14/roster.

Will study and make comments later.