WBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BedtimeForBonzo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Dave and his panel have Trinity as the 5th Pool C selection (of 20).

1.  Tufts
2.  Amherst
3.  UW-W
4.  Loras
5.  Trinity (TX)
6.  Trine
7.  UT-D
8.  Cortland

(list still being developed)

The key is where AC ends relative to Trinity and UT-D in the final vRRs (they won't jump UHMB).    Even with the win today, jumping from 9th above Trinity may not be in the cards, but UT-D would be possible.  That would leave UMHB Trinity AC UTD which would mean UMHB-AC and Trinity-UTD (also the same if UTD stays above AC somehow).  If AC does jump both that would give UMHB-Trinity, AC-UT-D. 

TroyP

The stats of that game are crazy. Trinity had 101 FG Attempts to AC 66 FG Attempts. Trinity had 25 PF's to AC 19 PF's which makes since due to late game fouls, so AC went to the charity stripe 7 more times than Trinity. Trinity was out rebounded overall, but Trinity actually had  6 more offensive rebounds. If Trinity shoots anywhere close to their normal 3pt shooting % they win the game. Basically the ball didn't fall for Trinity.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: TroyP on March 01, 2020, 11:48:06 PM
The stats of that game are crazy. Trinity had 101 FG Attempts to AC 66 FG Attempts. Trinity had 25 PF's to AC 19 PF's which makes since due to late game fouls, so AC went to the charity stripe 7 more times than Trinity. Trinity was out rebounded overall, but Trinity actually had  6 more offensive rebounds. If Trinity shoots anywhere close to their normal 3pt shooting % they win the game. Basically the ball didn't fall for Trinity.

I was there.  There were several possessions where Trinity did a great job on defense, AC was forced to take a near desperation three, nothing but net.  But make no mistake, AC controlled play most of the game.  TU played most of the first half on their heels before stepping up the intensity in the second but couldn't get over the hump.  A lot of the offensive rebounds came courtesy of Abby Holland who was desperate for someone, anyone to step up and help (especially in the first half), but as you say the threes just weren't falling (and AC's defensive scheme had something to do with this, too).   

Should Trinity have the good fortune to play AC again, they have to get more out of their other bigs.  4-16 from Simmons, Coleman, Milton can't happen again - and it's not fair to Abby to have to play 39 of 40 minutes.   More effective play inside would also free up their shooters.   

Ron Boerger

The d3hoops projected bracket (https://d3hoops.com/playoffs/women/2020/projected-womens-bracket) has UMHB-AC and Trinity-UTD.   Surprisingly, they have Trinity hosting; we'll see, I guess.

jekelish

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 02, 2020, 06:49:16 AM
The d3hoops projected bracket (https://d3hoops.com/playoffs/women/2020/projected-womens-bracket) has UMHB-AC and Trinity-UTD.   Surprisingly, they have Trinity hosting; we'll see, I guess.

It's interesting for me to think about the fact that AC is the only team in that pod with wins against each of the other three, yet the 'Roos would essentially be the 4-seed in there.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jekelish on March 02, 2020, 08:29:43 AM

It's interesting for me to think about the fact that AC is the only team in that pod with wins against each of the other three, yet the 'Roos would essentially be the 4-seed in there.

We picked Trinity simply because of the disparity in the rankings between Trinity and Austin.  We didn't think it was enough for the one game to bridge, but we could definitely be wrong about that.  The women's committee is much more difficult to predict on things like that.  Clearly the pod and the matchups are all but guaranteed, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jekelish

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 02, 2020, 09:33:07 AM
Quote from: jekelish on March 02, 2020, 08:29:43 AM

We picked Trinity simply because of the disparity in the rankings between Trinity and Austin.  We didn't think it was enough for the one game to bridge, but we could definitely be wrong about that.  The women's committee is much more difficult to predict on things like that.  Clearly the pod and the matchups are all but guaranteed, though.

Oh, no doubt. And based on regional rankings, no argument from me. I'll be curious to see if UMHB can get the 1-seed in the pod based on winning their conference title, even though they've got losses to other teams in the pod. The only things I know for sure is that UTD is almost certainly the 3-seed, and Austin College is almost certainly the 4-seed. Like I said, AC really SHOULD be the 4-seed; I just thought it was an interesting tidbit that the 4-seed is the only team to have beaten each of the other teams in the quartet.

Ron Boerger

Question for Ryan:  did your team consider the chance that HSU might end up in the vRR given that they beat UT-D, and a lot of teams at the bottom of the South Regional rankings lost?   If so, UMHB picked up two wins against vRRs this weekend (at least one, and Trinity a loss) so I'd be interested in why y'all thought Trinity still gets to host.    Guess we find out in about 4 hours tho.   :)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 02, 2020, 10:45:29 AM

Question for Ryan:  did your team consider the chance that HSU might end up in the vRR given that they beat UT-D, and a lot of teams at the bottom of the South Regional rankings lost?   If so, UMHB picked up two wins against vRRs this weekend (at least one, and Trinity a loss) so I'd be interested in why y'all thought Trinity still gets to host.    Guess we find out in about 4 hours tho.   :)

Full honesty.  We did not go that deep into it.  The matchups were going to be set; we made a hosting call.  There were a lot more complicated pods and we like to get the thing out as soon as possible given the short shelf life.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 02, 2020, 10:49:20 AM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 02, 2020, 10:45:29 AM

Full honesty.  We did not go that deep into it.  The matchups were going to be set; we made a hosting call.  There were a lot more complicated pods and we like to get the thing out as soon as possible given the short shelf life.

No worries.  I very much appreciate what you and Dave do and wish there were more people who paid attention to your hard and solid work on behalf of these student-athletes. 

Ron Boerger

And you were right, Trinity ends up hosting.   +1!

Trinity - UT-D
UMHB - Austin

jekelish

Man, interesting development as San Antonio's mayor just declared a state of public health emergency over coronavirus... and the pod is, obviously, in San Antonio. I'm guessing there won't be any impact but man... if that had come out earlier I wonder if it would have meant the games would be in Belton.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: jekelish on March 02, 2020, 09:38:45 PM
Man, interesting development as San Antonio's mayor just declared a state of public health emergency over coronavirus... and the pod is, obviously, in San Antonio. I'm guessing there won't be any impact but man... if that had come out earlier I wonder if it would have meant the games would be in Belton.

Yeah, this is an overreaction (and it pains me to say that since the mayor is a Trinity grad).   They have been getting shipped people from overseas by the CDC (such as from that cruise ship docked in Japan) and have been none too happy about the way things have been handled.   The quarantine has been at a local military base, but the CDC has decided that infected patients need to be taken to hospitals in town, with the town questioning why they aren't isolated on base.  What caused the "state of emergency" was that one of those released from quarantine was found to have a "mild positive" after being released and having gone to one of the local malls and potentially exposed some people.  That was 2-3 days ago, haven't heard of anyone else testing positive, but the city tried suing the CDC/feds to make them keep people in quarantine longer, which was thrown out by the court.

According to Johns Hopkins' excellent visual summary that one case is the only one in San Antonio to date.  It certainly isn't like King County, WA where there have already been 5 deaths (and, hmm, maybe that is one reason they flew all the west coast teams back east). 

jekelish

Tough losses for AC and Trinity, who both seemed to have things go sideways after halftime.

The 'Roos will only lose Ann Savage next season, so they return roughly 90% of their scoring and, based on being a defending conference champ, an NCAA tourney team, and how much they return, I'd assume they'll likely be a preseason top 25 team heading into next year.

Ron Boerger

And Trinity has to replace the #2 all-time scorer in program history.  No biggie.   The only other senior loss is hard-luck Anna Muller, who had to step down in mid-season after suffering a concussion in practice the week after the best game of her career. 

They can take inspiration from what AC did this year in replacing Bryce.  They've got the pieces (if Kelly Simmons recovers from what appeared to be a concussion tonight), but what they need is a leader on the floor.  Ashlyn Milton showed flashes this year, the question will be how she and the rest grow between now and next season. 

Until next year, Jek.   A pleasure as always.