Regional Realignment

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), February 27, 2013, 07:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Hope and Calvin could just play a four game series around the holidays.  That's right kids, the MIAA could just start playing non-league games amongst themselves so that they can finally get credit for those games against teams in the CCIW.  That's an awful, awful solution but...problem solved.  Well, symptom solved.  The problem (that we can't just count all of the D3 games and leave it at that) remains.  They are so close!  Stop toying with it like the half-dead moth your cat pushes around the floor for two hours and just fix it.  Count all of the division games. 

How hard is that? 

BTW, the region realignment is nice.  Far more equitable, even though it fails to solve the UAA and Northeast anomalies.  Baby steps I guess.  And to be fair, this is way more than baby steps.  It's definitely a big boy step.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

FCGrizzliesGrad

I'm happy about the realignment if for no other reason than the HCAC won't be all over the place. Currently we have football in the north, baseball in the mid-east, mens basketball in the midwest, womens basketball plus mens and womens soccer in the great lakes. It's hard to keep track of everything.
At least there weren't any sports in the northeast or pacific coast or something... then again we have the Indianapolis Colts are in the south so who knows. ::)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

augie_superfan

So, is it now possible that a game between 2 teams could count for one team and not the other?  If Team A plays Team B in an out-of-region contest, and Team A has greater than 70% of regional games then this game is taken into account for them.  However, if Team B only has 60% regional games then the game wouldn't count for Team B?  Is this possible or am I thinking about this wrong?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: augie_superfan on February 27, 2013, 09:09:11 PM
So, is it now possible that a game between 2 teams could count for one team and not the other?  If Team A plays Team B in an out-of-region contest, and Team A has greater than 70% of regional games then this game is taken into account for them.  However, if Team B only has 60% regional games then the game wouldn't count for Team B?  Is this possible or am I thinking about this wrong?

Yeah, but again, it's just not that difficult to get 70% - there's only going to be a few who struggle.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

kiko

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 27, 2013, 01:53:45 PM
But now many HCAC/CCIW games will be out of region, so adjacent-states could still be useful there, and definitely for CCIW/MIAA games.

Question: would the adjacent states rule mean it is in region if the opponent in question's state is adjacent to your state, or that it is adjacent to your region?  For most of the CCIW/MIAA, there is a state between the Illinois and Michigan-based schools regardless of which way you drive around the lake.

Weird, though, that Carthage/Calvin would be in-region under adjacent states but the closer drive of Wheaton/Calvin would not be.

sac

Quote from: kiko on February 27, 2013, 11:01:24 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 27, 2013, 01:53:45 PM
But now many HCAC/CCIW games will be out of region, so adjacent-states could still be useful there, and definitely for CCIW/MIAA games.

Question: would the adjacent states rule mean it is in region if the opponent in question's state is adjacent to your state, or that it is adjacent to your region?  For most of the CCIW/MIAA, there is a state between the Illinois and Michigan-based schools regardless of which way you drive around the lake.

Weird, though, that Carthage/Calvin would be in-region under adjacent states but the closer drive of Wheaton/Calvin would not be.

Michigan and Illinois share a border in the middle of Lake Michigan.  D2 uses adjacent states and Illinois and Michigan are 'in-region' for them. 

kiko

I guess I was thinking about land borders, but you're right -- the map usually shows the dotted line border between Illinois and Michigan in the middle of the lake.

If only you could drive from IL to MI without having to trek through scenic Northwest Indiana...

KnightSlappy

Quote from: kiko on February 28, 2013, 01:19:13 AM
I guess I was thinking about land borders, but you're right -- the map usually shows the dotted line border between Illinois and Michigan in the middle of the lake.

If only you could drive from IL to MI without having to trek through scenic Northwest Indiana...

Ohio and Kentucky don't share a land border either.

ziggy

Quote from: kiko on February 28, 2013, 01:19:13 AM

You can, it just takes A LOT longer.  :P

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Hey, I just realized - Hamilton is in the NESCAC now, right?  That means the NE Region will actually gain one team in all of this.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

toad22

Just what the New England region needs -- another team!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Hoops Fan on March 09, 2013, 09:08:20 PM

Hey, I just realized - Hamilton is in the NESCAC now, right?  That means the NE Region will actually gain one team in all of this.

Hamilton has already been in the NE, so no change here.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hamilton joined the NE when they joined the NESCAC.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This seems like the perfect topic to bump back to the top ... which may have a number of you wondering why.

There are changes coming: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-championships-committee-supports-regional-realignment?division=d3

Personally, I welcome these to some degree. The details aren't there, I realize, but basically looks like basketball will be a 10-region player with no more than 40 schools (give or take) in each region. Northeast obviously will be broken up.

This will affect football as well. I am hearing six regions.

And my personal "pissed off button" one ... men's lacrosse looks like it will be forced from the two-region model they think works ... to maybe five or six.

We will hopefully chat more with those who helped craft this on Hoopsville Thursday night.

It also has a few more hurdles to go through, but I think this is probably a rubber stamp at this point.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Smitty Oom

Excited to hear more info and details, but I think it makes sense to balance out these regions. However,  I am not well versed in the nuances of NCAA legislatures and logistics so I may be missing some potential drawbacks.