Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExTartanPlayer

Question that I asked last year which I don't believe I got an answer to:

Does Pool B selection proceed in similar fashion to Pool C (i.e. each regional committee puts up the best candidate, all four candidates are deliberated and the best choice is taken) or is it more haphazard?  I think Wesley is the obvious first choice no matter how it's done, but I've always been a little curious if they follow the same regional format as Pool C or if they just chuck all of the Pool B teams in a hat because it's usually just a matter of choosing from 3-5reasonable candidates for 2-3 spots (depending on the year).

If it proceeds in regional fashion, I imagine something like so:

Round 1 deliberation

North: Chicago
South: Wesley
East: Framingham State
West: no candidates

Duh. 

Round 2 deliberation

South: Centre/TLU

This gets interesting.  I favor undefeated Centre, but Framingham and TLU probably both can make decent arguments against Centre.  I think Chicago is drawing dead here, so to speak.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

jknezek

Quote from: TLU02SA on November 10, 2014, 11:22:21 AM
Quote from: jknezek on November 10, 2014, 09:16:00 AM
An undefeated Centre is going to get that second "B". I can't imagine the committee wanting to leave an undefeated team out, and it's not like Centre is an unknown commodity.

I think you may be right.  If you look at both polls, Centre is ranked higher than TLU (I am basing this on last week's AFCA poll as this week's is not out yet and I don't see that changing with both winning this last Saturday).  Can anyone explain to me who votes on the Regional Rankings?

You can find the complete list on page 11 of 32 of the pre-championship manual found here:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/PreChamps_DIII_Football_2014_Revised2.pdf

Basically it is one person representing each conference in the region, either a coach or an athletic department chair typically.

The National Committee that will actually decide the B and C bids in the end is found on page 10

TLU02SA

Quote from: jknezek on November 10, 2014, 11:59:17 AM
Quote from: TLU02SA on November 10, 2014, 11:22:21 AM
Quote from: jknezek on November 10, 2014, 09:16:00 AM
An undefeated Centre is going to get that second "B". I can't imagine the committee wanting to leave an undefeated team out, and it's not like Centre is an unknown commodity.

I think you may be right.  If you look at both polls, Centre is ranked higher than TLU (I am basing this on last week's AFCA poll as this week's is not out yet and I don't see that changing with both winning this last Saturday).  Can anyone explain to me who votes on the Regional Rankings?

You can find the complete list on page 11 of 32 of the pre-championship manual found here:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/PreChamps_DIII_Football_2014_Revised2.pdf

Basically it is one person representing each conference in the region, either a coach or an athletic department chair typically.

The National Committee that will actually decide the B and C bids in the end is found on page 10

Thanks.  That answers several questions I had.  We will see how it all plays out this week. 

K-Mack

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 10, 2014, 11:44:17 AM
Question that I asked last year which I don't believe I got an answer to:

Does Pool B selection proceed in similar fashion to Pool C (i.e. each regional committee puts up the best candidate, all four candidates are deliberated and the best choice is taken) or is it more haphazard?  I think Wesley is the obvious first choice no matter how it's done, but I've always been a little curious if they follow the same regional format as Pool C or if they just chuck all of the Pool B teams in a hat because it's usually just a matter of choosing from 3-5reasonable candidates for 2-3 spots (depending on the year).

If it proceeds in regional fashion, I imagine something like so:

Round 1 deliberation

South: Wesley

Duh. 

Round 2 deliberation

South: Centre/TLU

This gets interesting.  I favor undefeated Centre, but Framingham and TLU probably both can make decent arguments against Centre.  I think Chicago is drawing dead here, so to speak.

That's actually an interesting question. I might be able to find out from someone who is no longer on the committee but has been in the room for that.

For a while I wanted to do a sit-in, with the caveat that I wouldn't report it right away, but it never came to fruition and I filed it away on "things I would write if D3football were a full-time job."
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

smedindy

Now, it's nut-cutting time for the committee.

Wesley is in.

Framingham, TLU, Centre or Chicago (Rhodes won so Centre and Chicago may have RR wins).

K-Mack

Quote from: smedindy on November 15, 2014, 06:24:21 PM

Wesley is in.

Framingham, TLU, Centre or Chicago (Rhodes won so Centre and Chicago may have RR wins).

Even if they go Wesley and Centre as the Bs and let TLU hold its own as a C, Framingham State still has the same argument vs. Centre ... a 9-1 team that could have scheduled someone easier than Rowan and maybe gone 10-0.

Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

smedindy

Quote from: K-Mack on November 15, 2014, 08:41:12 PM
Quote from: smedindy on November 15, 2014, 06:24:21 PM

Wesley is in.

Even if they go Wesley and Centre as the Bs and let TLU hold its own as a C, Framingham State still has the same argument vs. Centre ... a 9-1 team that could have scheduled someone easier than Rowan and maybe gone 10-0.

Chicago, too, had Bethel as their only blemish (as it turns out, the Pacific non-game may help them in this)...

ksclegal

Bracketology show last night pool b choices were Wesley and TLU .But Centre and Framington made as pool c choices.

Ralph Turner

Pool B final record.

Wesley 3-1
TLU       0-1.

Ralph Turner

Pool B for 2015...

This is definitely a work in progress for me (especially before the release of Kickoff 2015, which I have purchased) so I will appreciate anyone else who can help.

ASC-6 (If the ASC loses its AQ bid this year.)
SCAC-4
UChicago and Wash U StL - 2

I count 12 teams in this part of the country so that should make for 1 Pool B bid.

I don't think the NEWMAC shuffle will hit Pool B until 2017.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2015/04/newmac-adds-football

If the ASC does not lose its bid in 2015 (Mississippi College is listed as competing in 2013), then 6 Pool B schools in no Pool B bid.

Are there any schools in the East Region that are not accounted for in a Pool A conference?
Will Maranatha Baptist play this year?
Finlandia?

crufootball

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 16, 2015, 07:15:18 PM
Pool B for 2015...

This is definitely a work in progress for me (especially before the release of Kickoff 2015, which I have purchased) so I will appreciate anyone else who can help.

ASC-6 (If the ASC loses its AQ bid this year.)
SCAC-4
UChicago and Wash U StL - 2

I count 12 teams in this part of the country so that should make for 1 Pool B bid.

I don't think the NEWMAC shuffle will hit Pool B until 2017.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2015/04/newmac-adds-football

If the ASC does not lose its bid in 2015 (Mississippi College is listed as competing in 2013), then 6 Pool B schools in no Pool B bid.

Are there any schools in the East Region that are not accounted for in a Pool A conference?
Will Maranatha Baptist play this year?
Finlandia?

You might have seen this by now Ralph but on the Preseason Top 25 comments section Pat said that the ASC will be in Pool B this year and won't be out till 2018 at earliest when Belhaven and McMurry come online.

I would find it kind of ironic if basically the ASC and the SCAC, plus a couple others, make up one bid via Pool B, since if just all got along in Texas we could form a football only conference which would guarantee a Pool A bid and help travel cost.

hickory_cornhusker

Chicago and WashU are no longer in Pool B. They are in the SAA this year which I believe will have its own Pool A bid.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on July 17, 2015, 01:23:38 PM
Chicago and WashU are no longer in Pool B. They are in the SAA this year which I believe will have its own Pool A bid.

Good catch!

First, ICYMI...

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2015/06/washu-chicago-already-leaving-saa

With that said, it does state in the article that they will play in the SAA this year and next, so you may indeed be correct that they will be in Pool A and not B.  Are you sure they're eligible for the SAA's Pool A bid, though?  Sometimes a team has to wait a year or two after joining a league before they are allowed to officially win the conference title.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Pat Coleman

Chicago and Wash U are eligible for the Pool A bid.
ASC will be in Pool B this year. MC was participating in 2013 but not eligible for the title as per the "McMurry Rule," so the clock started then.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Twelve Pool B schools in 2015.

The ASC-6
The SCAC-4
Finlandia and Maranatha Baptist.