FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bashgiant

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 23, 2014, 11:19:03 PM
Quote from: Wabash Hokie on October 23, 2014, 08:46:08 PM
The LGs need to keep their focus for this one.  Two years ago, Wabash was the 10th ranked team in the  nation (just like they are now) and laid an egg at home - Oberlin took the game to the Little Giants and they never answered the bell.  This team seems to have the right kind of drive and there is little chance of a repeat performance.  Looking forward to a fun Family Day in Crawfordsville.

All true.  I would just offer the following:
- 2014 Oberlin is not 2012 Oberlin.  That team had dudes.  Plenty of them.  This year's team has some nice pieces for sure (TotW honoree Justin Cruz among them), but I don't see the Mandel/Witjes/Weintraub/Kalgren depth of quality in that offense this year and I definitely don't see the same caliber of defense being played by the Yeomen (20 ppg in 2012, 41 ppg in 2014). 

- A LOT of this year's upperclassmen for Wabash played in that game in 2012.  It's not just a thing they heard about or watched  as a fourth stringer.  They were the ones on the field getting whooped.  That group of players has played 16 games since that November day in 2012 and has obliterated the opposing side in 15 of those games (the one being last year's loss to a stellar Wittenberg team).  Focus or complacency or whatever else hasn't been an issue.  In fact, those things haven't even been present since that day.  And I don't even like mentioning that because it really cheapens the result which is completely unfair to Oberlin.  They were awesome on that day.

I believe the 2012 Oberlin team was loaded with starting juniors and seniors that went both ways.
Never again!

HCAlum86

Okay, random statistical question. But can anyone tell me the highest an NCAC team has been ranked in the last ten or so years? I remember Witt breaching the top 5 in 2009 I believe...
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: HCAlum86 on October 24, 2014, 09:07:07 AM
Okay, random statistical question. But can anyone tell me the highest an NCAC team has been ranked in the last ten or so years? I remember Witt breaching the top 5 in 2009 I believe...

Wittenberg's 2009 team achieved a final ranking of #6 after a quarterfinal run, but that was a big leap from their #12 ranking in week 11.

Wittenberg 2010 edition rode that to a preseason ranking of #8, then got as high as #6 in week 3 before playing a few suspect close games (one-score wins against 7-3 Allegheny, 4-6 Oberlin, and 4-6 CMU), dropping them to #9 in week 11, before they lost their first-round playoff game to Ohio Northern.

Wabash's 2011 quarterfinal team finished at #7 after hovering around 9-12 for most of the season.  The 2012 team piggybacked off that and got as high as #7 before the bad early-season loss to Allegheny knocked them down a few pegs.

I couldn't find anyone that actually got into the top 5, but I didn't look at every single week's poll.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

BashDad

Wabash was #3 in week 10 of 2008. Which was silly. They lost the next week.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: BashDad on October 24, 2014, 09:47:29 AM

One of those "duh" things that I didn't really think of til I looked at a few of those rankings is how much the season-before results are going to dictate that season's rankings.  A team that had a good playoff run in year X is going to start ranked pretty high in X + 1 and will keep floating upwards if they keep winning the following year (regardless of the real quality of that season's results), because of some of the dumb rankings bias that we've been kicking around for a few months now on various message boards.  People just won't drop someone until they lose because they're anchored to the preseason expectations for each team.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

jknezek

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on October 24, 2014, 09:56:16 AM

One of those "duh" things that I didn't really think of til I looked at a few of those rankings is how much the season-before results are going to dictate that season's rankings.  A team that had a good playoff run in year X is going to start ranked pretty high in X + 1 and will keep floating upwards if they keep winning the following year (regardless of the real quality of that season's results), because of some of the dumb rankings bias that we've been kicking around for a few months now on various message boards.  People just won't drop someone until they lose because they're anchored to the preseason expectations for each team.

Oh god. Why did you open that can of worms again? I'm going to give you the same advice I give my daughter, you keep picking at this scab it's going to scar!  ;D

wally_wabash

Quote from: wabndy on October 19, 2014, 10:38:16 PM
Perhaps to bring this discussion around to something closer to the subject line. Have I heard before that the stagg bowl uses instant replay?  Is there anything prohibiting a d3 conference from allowing or mandating some form of instant replay?

I ask this also because I continue to be amazed at the quality of available video in a large percentage of d3 games. It wasn't that long ago that getting an audio broadcast off the internet was a rare treat for most games. Where are we going to be in another 5-10 years with cheaper and better quality cameras that require less and less of a production commitment. Technology wise, adding an extra official to the crew and giving him access to video feeds wouldn't seem like much of a technical leap by today's standards.

They do use replay in the Stagg Bowl.  I think we can thank ESPN for that.  I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what replay officials look at, how quickly it's available to them, and what (if any) additional angles/views/info they get provided by the media team on hand at the game.  Most D3 streams are still single-camera operations with limited-to-obscured views of at least the near sideline and usually in the corners of the field as well.  I don't think there is anything the NCAA says prohibiting D3 schools from using replay, but I'm sure the conferences are saying no because it simply wouldn't be available everywhere.  And that seems fair to me. 

And also, our officials here in the NCAC are still working out proper usage of on-field microphones.  Let's let them master that technology before burdening them with instant replay.  Baby steps. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 24, 2014, 10:49:31 AM

And also, our officials here in the NCAC are still working out proper usage of on-field microphones.  Let's let them master that technology before burdening them with instant replay.  Baby steps.

They have that same problem in D2. One of the refs at our games overmodulated the mic all of the time and blew out part of the board.

Li'l Giant

We had been at 6 and then the Week 8 poll happened after Whitewater, UMHB, and Wheaton, who had been ranked ahead, all lost.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

firstdown

Polls are little more than beauty contests.  They give us something to talk about during the week while we await the real results from the field.

nike

Will be watching Hiram and OWU with much interest tomorrow.  Like OWU, but would love to see Hiram pull it out.  What a moment that would be!

Bishopleftiesdad

^ I hope to watch as well. And while I appreciate your sentiment Nike, I am hoping that OWU continues to win. With the noise Hiram has made this year they should not be looking past the Terriers to Witt next week. I would be really happy if OWU could win out, but I will be very happy if they take 3 out of the next 4.

HCAlum86

Quote from: nike on October 24, 2014, 12:58:11 PM
Will be watching Hiram and OWU with much interest tomorrow.  Like OWU, but would love to see Hiram pull it out.  What a moment that would be!

It is going to be a good one. I will be in attendance.

And by the way, I'm taking the over at 66.5 Go Terriers!
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

wally_wabash

I don't know how much I'll be watching this OWU/Hiram situation.  Plenty of night action tomorrow night.  Between North Central/Wheaton, the lantern game, OWU/Hiram...that's a lot of real estate on my laptop screen.  And it's all taking a back seat when Los Gigantes get going in Game 4.  I'll check in with live stats occasionally at least.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

HCAlum86

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 24, 2014, 04:38:38 PM
I don't know how much I'll be watching this OWU/Hiram situation.  Plenty of night action tomorrow night.  Between North Central/Wheaton, the lantern game, OWU/Hiram...that's a lot of real estate on my laptop screen.  And it's all taking a back seat when Los Gigantes get going in Game 4.  I'll check in with live stats occasionally at least.   :)

No need for the laptop, Wally. ABC picked the game up.
July 13, 1904