FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerfanalso

JK

Thanks for your thoughts. I've got W&L & RMC pulling mild upsets. I'm not sure about HSC vs. SU. My concern is SU's defensive line. If HSC can avoid turning the ball over and does not allow multiple sacks and/or can keep the pressure off of Nash, HSC should be ok. Otherwise this game could turn either way. I'm not sold on our OL at this point. They are better than they were against Wabash, the SU game will indicate exactly where they are. I hope they step up and allow Nash the time he needs to be effective. That will be a positive sign for the Tigers going forward.

E&H beats CUA (CAU) as badly as they want to.

wesleydad

Quote from: jknezek on October 23, 2014, 08:48:24 AM
Quote from: wesleydad on October 22, 2014, 07:06:44 PM
making my annual trip to Bridgewater this weekend for their homecoming.  I get to see W&L for the first time.  I think it will be a good game as W&L looks to be improving each week and Bridgewater has played pretty well so far.  Always enjoy the trip as the area is very nice and my friends at Bridgewater are even better.  The weather should be nice too.

Not really the year I want you seeing my Generals, but such is life. They are improving, but they have been really bad on the road. Hopefully last week gave them a little confidence to see out the season. Keep the word "young" in the back of your head while you watch!

JK, the game is an afterthought for the trip.  Friendship is the top priority.  I will keep in mind that they are young, but will let you know what I see that I like and dont like compared to the national scene (Wesley).  I have always enjoyed the odac games I have seen and this is my first view of W&L.

jknezek

Quote from: wesleydad on October 23, 2014, 04:57:09 PM
Quote from: jknezek on October 23, 2014, 08:48:24 AM
Quote from: wesleydad on October 22, 2014, 07:06:44 PM
making my annual trip to Bridgewater this weekend for their homecoming.  I get to see W&L for the first time.  I think it will be a good game as W&L looks to be improving each week and Bridgewater has played pretty well so far.  Always enjoy the trip as the area is very nice and my friends at Bridgewater are even better.  The weather should be nice too.

Not really the year I want you seeing my Generals, but such is life. They are improving, but they have been really bad on the road. Hopefully last week gave them a little confidence to see out the season. Keep the word "young" in the back of your head while you watch!

JK, the game is an afterthought for the trip.  Friendship is the top priority.  I will keep in mind that they are young, but will let you know what I see that I like and dont like compared to the national scene (Wesley).  I have always enjoyed the odac games I have seen and this is my first view of W&L.

I know that feeling. We tend to go to a game or two at Birmingham Southern every year. Don't really care about the game, especially last year when Wesley ended it in the first quarter, but it's just a great place to tailgate with the family. I also try and get down to Huntingdon for a big game every year, although haven't made it yet in 2014.

Neither of these teams is likely to compare to the national scene at this time. I do have a lot of hope for the Generals based on their youth and potential to compete in the ODAC in the next couple years, but they aren't going to be national competitors. I don't know Bridgewater anywhere near as well but I suspect they are in much the same boat.

Enjoy the game. I think it will be competitive and entertaining regardless of the lack of ODAC impact.

tigerfanalso

consequences of opposing players/teams placing a bounty on certain players via social media ?

HSCTiger74

Quote from: tigerfanalso on October 24, 2014, 12:57:51 PM
consequences of opposing players/teams placing a bounty on certain players via social media ?

How about a little context. Where's this coming from?
TANSTAAFL

tigerfanalso

just a question, no context to be offered up.

jknezek

I don't know, but they should be massive...

SydneyBoy17

Quote from: jknezek on October 24, 2014, 01:15:31 PM

I'll just leave this here: https://twitter.com/ThePayneTrain99/status/524681972854304769 no actual bounty or anything, but this kid needs to be shut the hell up. Although I have my reservations about the physicality of HSC's O-line, someone needs to step up and make this guy eat his words

wally_wabash

Glad you posted a link there.  Without that, this was just mindless rabble rousing.  That said, honestly, this is nothing.  There's a pretty giant gap that has to be crossed to get from that tweet to "bounty".  Funny to see how things that are absolutely nothing get fans riled up.  Not judging- I've definitely been there myself. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: SydneyBoy17 on October 24, 2014, 02:01:40 PM

I'll just leave this here: https://twitter.com/ThePayneTrain99/status/524681972854304769 no actual bounty or anything, but this kid needs to be shut the hell up. Although I have my reservations about the physicality of HSC's O-line, someone needs to step up and make this guy eat his words

Maybe something was taken down but I don't see much here. Just a single ill-advised post. It IS the d-line's job to sack the qb. Now if there really was talk about a bounty or injuring someone, that would be upsetting. But I don't really see any of that in the one post that is up there. This is just putting a marker on your own back. Not real smart, but not real bad either in my opinion. Of course if I was a coach and it was one of my guys, I'd be irritated.

SydneyBoy17

Quote from: jknezek on October 24, 2014, 02:16:05 PM

Maybe something was taken down but I don't see much here. Just a single ill-advised post. It IS the d-line's job to sack the qb. Now if there really was talk about a bounty or injuring someone, that would be upsetting. But I don't really see any of that in the one post that is up there. This is just putting a marker on your own back. Not real smart, but not real bad either in my opinion. Of course if I was a coach and it was one of my guys, I'd be irritated.
I agree nothing to be concerned over, and while the connotations of "finish him" could be argued (and the fact that the coach was the one who put it here), I think it's just something that we should use to get motivated off of to do something about it

Pat Coleman

Quote from: SydneyBoy17 on October 24, 2014, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: jknezek on October 24, 2014, 02:16:05 PM

I agree nothing to be concerned over, and while the connotations of "finish him" could be argued (and the fact that the coach was the one who put it here), I think it's just something that we should use to get motivated off of to do something about it

Yeah. That's not a player placing a bounty on a player via social media. It might be an assistant coach placing a bounty on a player via paper and adhesive tape, but that probably happens in a hundred locker rooms in any given week.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HSCTiger fan

Talk is cheap. I know. I'm running my mouth on these boards all the time.  I highly doubt HSC needed boastful talk from an opposing player to get them fired up to beat a team that upset them last year.  Offense was not a problem last year against SU. Seldom is and won't be tomorrow. Last years game had 5 critical special team breakdowns - 3 missed extra points, a blocked punt, and allowing a fake punt.  I would not expect the same errors again tomorrow. 

When you come to HSC you expect the opposing ODAC teams to always give you their best shot. Heck RMC has a countdown to "Days until We Beat HSC" clock in the weight room. The last several years they've just forgot that had to beat the other teams in the ODAC.  HSC plays on Saturdays and then has to look on the schedule to see who they play next. The rest of the ODAC knows exactly when HSC is on the schedule in early APRIL!  It's all a part of being the BEST.  Everyone is gunning for you. 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hscathletics

Didn't see the tweet and it's now deleted, looks like someone talked some sense into him. Sometimes kids just don't think before they post on social media, happens everywhere! Luckily the vast majority of the time the stuff that get's posted is harmless but just plain stupid. I even had a player for an opposing team talk trash to the athletics Twitter account. I just took a screen shot and gave it to the coach to use for locker room material and the kid ended up with his worst game of the entire season. I surmise we had some extra motivation there :)

Pat Coleman

We retweeted it -- spurred some discussion on the place of such things in the game.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.