BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Quote from: a spectator on January 06, 2009, 10:09:30 AM
Congrats to Marietta and Heidelberg on their pre-season ranking in the poll.  How do both of these teams look for this spring?  How many returning letterman/seniors for each? 

Etta has 10 returning lettermen and here is the blurb from their web site regarding key returning players:

Seven seniors, including All-Mideast Region pitcher T.J. Knowlton (Greenwich/Mapleton) and All-Mideast Region third baseman Cameron Cimino (Boardman), will anchor Marietta's lineup this spring. All-OAC pitcher Jason Baumler (Crownsville, Md./Old Mill), second baseman/third baseman Brennan Cribbins (Middleburg Heights/Midpark), All-OAC utility player Justin Merryman (New Philadelphia), All-OAC pitcher Chris Stewart (Dublin/Coffman) and second baseman/third baseman Josh Spicer (Gibsonia, Pa./Pine-Richland) will also be asked to provide the senior leadership that is a staple of the Marietta baseball program.

lhpdiggy

Hope springs eternal, and here is hoping that Etta and the Berg do great things this year!  If you look at the major 2008 stats it will come down to pitching again, and I am hopefull that we have some new teams in the OAC tourny.  It comes down to how the kids can be a TEAM. 

I can't wait for the games to be begin

Gramps

Congrats to Marietta and Heidelberg on their pre-season ranking in the poll.  How do both of these teams look for this spring?  How many returning letterman/seniors for each? 

The Berg lost three seniors from 2008. Heidelberg will be returning all 8 position players. Hitters: Jeremy Wentworth, Sr, OF, 3rd team All American, 1st team Mideast Region, 1st team OAC, OAC tournament team, .420 Avg.; Jason Lash, Soph, SS, 2 time OAC Hitter of the Week, 1st team Mideast Region, Mideast Region tournament team, 1st team OAC, .425 Avg;  Matt Grassley, Sr, OF, 3rd team Mideast Region, 2nd team OAC, OAC Tournament team, .366 Avg; Gar Keene, Soph, 2nd, 1st team OAC, OAC Tournament team, .330 Avg; Willie Brechun, Soph, 3rd, OAC Tournament team, .309 Avg; Andrew Buelow, Soph, OF, .350 Avg; Biagio Boytim, Sr, 1st, OAC Tournament team, .277 Avg; Steve Decker, Jr, Catcher, OAC Honorable  Mention , .260 Avg.
Pitchers: Dave Paddock, Sr, 6-3, 2nd team OAC; Everett Thomas, Jr, 8-1, 2nd team Mideast Region; Jake Gossman, Soph, 4-3, OAC Pitcher of the Week, OAC Honorable Mention; Andy Lowe, Soph, 5-1, OAC Pitcher of the Week, 3rd team Mideast Region, OAC Honorable Mention, OAC all Tournament team, MVP OAC Tournament; Brian Koehl, Soph, 5-1; Branden Stucky, Soph, 1-0.

Gramps

Correction on the Berg article by Gramps: Andy Lowe was an OAC  2 time Pitcher of the WeeK. My Bad. This is all new to me, so bear with me and my mistakes.

The Berg starts their Spring Training March 1st in Port Charlotte, Fla. We plan on being there and I will keep a log of the highlights to present to the message board.

GO BERG!!!!!!!

OAC baseball fan 3

How does the OAC look this year?  Hear that Heidelberg, Etta look good but how about ONU?  Heard a lot has changed in the last few years... Let me know!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: OAC baseball fan 3 on February 05, 2009, 08:44:08 AM
How does the OAC look this year?  Hear that Heidelberg, Etta look good but how about ONU?  Heard a lot has changed in the last few years... Let me know!

Welcome to the boards!

The OAC board gets active later in the season, when the last ice storm has melted!  :D

OAC baseball fan 3

Well thanks alot!!! Please, let me know your thoughts!  I am very curious!

ScotsFan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 05, 2009, 09:04:33 AM
Quote from: OAC baseball fan 3 on February 05, 2009, 08:44:08 AM

Welcome to the boards!

The OAC board gets active later in the season, when the last ice storm has melted!  :D
Or when spence's ban is lifted...  :P  ;D

Dr. Acula

It certainly doesn't feel like it outside, but the season is officially starting today.  Capital is down in VA playing Averett (3-6) in a DH today.  The results of game 1 haven't been posted yet.  The Crusaders then head to Myrtle Beach for a DH tomorrow and a game Monday.

The majority of the OAC will begin play the first week of March with Etta, Musky and JCU on 3/1, ONU on 3/2 and Berg and Bein on 3/4.  The rest begin the following week.   

Gramps

I certainly agree with the cold part, but according to the Berg schedule, they start the season in Florida on March 1st.  They have a game with John Jay at 10am on Sun the 1st and another game with them on Mon. at 1:30pm.  The rest of their Florida games are:

3-3     Eastern Mennonite     12:30pm
                                       3-4     Bluffton                       12:00pm
                                       3-5     Winona State               7:30pm
                                       3-6     Bluffton                         3:00pm
                                       3-7     Mount St. Joseph          2:00pm

And then on 3-8, local rival Wooster, at 12:00pm.  This should be a good preview for the season.
For their final game in Florida, the Berg will meet Benedictine College at 10:00am.
On the way home, they will stop off in Demorest, Ga., for two games against Piedmont. The first game on Thursday, 3-12 at 7:00pm and the second Friday, 3-13 at 3:00pm.

Regular season starts on 3-17 vs Bluffton at Bluffton at 4:00pm.

I will be in Florida for the majority of the games and if I can get to  a laptop, I'll try to highlight each game. Looking forward to a successful and fun filled season.  GO BERG!!!!!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gramps on February 22, 2009, 01:04:26 AM
I certainly agree with the cold part, but according to the Berg schedule, they start the season in Florida on March 1st.  They have a game with John Jay at 10am on Sun the 1st and another game with them on Mon. at 1:30pm.  The rest of their Florida games are:

And then on 3-8, local rival Wooster, at 12:00pm.  This should be a good preview for the season.
For their final game in Florida, the Berg will meet Benedictine College at 10:00am.
On the way home, they will stop off in Demorest, Ga., for two games against Piedmont. The first game on Thursday, 3-12 at 7:00pm and the second Friday, 3-13 at 3:00pm.

I will be in Florida for the majority of the games and if I can get to  a laptop, I'll try to highlight each game. Looking forward to a successful and fun filled season.  GO BERG!!!!!

In-region games in bold.

Gramps

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 22, 2009, 01:07:29 AM

In-region games in bold.
Thanks Ralph,   It's good to know all the information when assessing a schedule.  It shows the coaches strategy in scheduling and adds to the knowledge and enjoyment  of the season.
                                    Thanks again,
                                                   Gramps

Dr. Acula

I certainly agree with the cold part, but according to the Berg schedule, they start the season in Florida on March 1st.  They have a game with John Jay at 10am on Sun the 1st and another game with them on Mon. at 1:30pm.

Thanks Gramps.  I didn't go to each school's site for obvious reasons.  In fact, I was going to put an "All scheduling info per oac.org" disclaimer on my post, but I thought maybe this would be the year the OAC website would be a reliable source.  That hope didn't last long.

Enjoy Florida.  Nothing is better than sitting in the sun watching some baseball.  6 years later and my dad still talks about going to FL to watch us my junior & senior years.  I've never seen him happier.       

Dr. Acula

Capital split at Averett yesterday.  Dropped the opener 7-1, but rebounded to take the nightcap 9-2.

Marc St. John went 3 for 7 w/ 2 2B, 3 RBI, 3 runs on the day. 

Matt Uy was very solid picking up the CG win allowing only 2 ER.   

OAC baseball fan 3

Congrats to the teams who won this past week.  Has anyone heard how the teams not talked about should do?  (Mount, ONU, Wilmington)

Curious who will be coming back from these teams and anyone's predictions

Thanks!