BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fundamentalswin

While I completely understand the problem at ONU and sympathize with the concerns you are making just understand that no pitching coach may be better than the wrong pitching coach.  Let me tell you that it has been my experience that the wrong pitching coach not only does not fill his job description.  He doesn't teach, he doesn't motivate and he doesn't manage and the big question is what does he do?  Well the answer is nothing but make the continuous wrong decisions that talent has to overcome if MUC is to win ball games.  Having no coach is bad but having the wrong coach who is incompetent at his job makes the situation worse than having no coach at all.

Dr. Acula

I know some people might read fundamentals' post and think "Now that's just a bitter MUC guy railing against the coach."  Well, I'm not one of those people because I would have written pretty much that exact post when I was at MUC myself.  And I was even one of those guys in the good graces that always got the ball, even when I didn't deserve it.   

Dr. Acula

Quote from: OAC baseball fan 3 on April 01, 2009, 08:31:08 PM
He said that Brian knew all of his stuff and helped with mechanics and the mental approach... possibly this is where the pitching gets its leadership?  If not him, im not sure who then, because they are a young staff.

Every team needs the veterans to step up and lead.  They can set the tone in practice, in preparation, etc.  Brian already has the responsibility of being a front line starter for them.  He should be an example in practice and help out the young guys as much as he can, but his primary job is to work on HIS stuff to help ONU win games.  I feel sorry for him if he has to wear both hats, so to speak because that's not fair to him or his teammates.  And I also feel sorry if there's no one there to help him if he's struggling with anything himself. 

OAC baseball fan 3

Dr. Acula,
I just spoke to my son who said he called Brian today.  I guess Brian threw against Defiance today 3 & 2/3 innings, 2 hits, 6 k's.  Got the W.  He asked him if Brian was the basic pitching coach, but Brian said most younger guys looked to him for answers and he gave them those answers, but it was hard to get answers for his own pitching.  I guess the team Tapes Brian while he is on the mound and in the bullpen and he takes hours out of his nights to look over the tapes and figure out what he is doing wrong.  Talk about a strong kid...   I just wish they would get someone in there to help these boys.  They are GOOD pitchers, with GOOD arms, but no one to look to but a lonely senior.  My son said he could tell Brian seemed stressed, but from what i have seen, BRian is happy-go-lucky and just loves to play the game.  Some day, i wish this coach would listen up and realize he NEEDS a pitching coach.

Gramps

Just got home from "Happy Valley" on the Heidelberg campus, and the Berg fans are happy again today as they beat Ohio Wesleyan in 11 innings by the score of 6-5. After being behind most of the game, the Berg tied the game and went into extra innings. In the Berg half of the 11th inning, L. B. 
Emrhein started things off with a single, followed by a walk to J. Wentworth bringing up Jason Lash to the plate.  He responded with a RBI single to right field driving in the winning run.  B. Boytin had  a HR, G. Keene had 3 RBIs, and A. Lowe got the win.
     Sorry for the abreviated summary of the game, but it's getting late, and it was a long drive home.

b

fundamentalswin

Dr. Acula,

Fact is that I am living it now and even though I make these comments and it may seem I get the shaft the opposite is true.  I play but the simple truth to anyone wondering why MUC isnt competitive on a consistent basis cannot be based on the talent level at the school.  They have loads of talent whether it is hitting it throwing it or catching it but unforutatley if MUC EVER wants to compete at the levels of Marietta, Heidelberg, and Otterbein it has to develop the people who throw it.  There is loads of raw talent at the Jr and So. level on this team but the simple truth is that despite their experience and some good leadership by players the majority of these players (Jr. and So.) are still the same pitchers they were in HS.  I am pretty sure Mideastfan and Gramps will tell you that doesnt happen at the elite schools in this conference. 

Dr. Acula

fundamentals, I'm on the same page as you.  I wasn't implying that you were a guy mad about not playing.  I was trying to say quite the opposite because I thought non-MUC people might mistakenly read your post that way.  I guess what I was trying to convey (albeit poorly) was that those of us that went to MUC know exactly what you're talking about and we feel your pain.  Anyone that has been in the program knows exactly what you mean and it has nothing to do w/ whether that individual starts or never plays.  If you attended practice every day, you know what you're talking about.  Your comment about juniors being no better than when they came in is my biggest gripe in a nutshell.  Sure there is some level of progress, but it's due solely to increased practice time, more games and physical maturation over your HS years.  Somewhere in that equation should be fine tuning your skills as a player based on input from coaches.  Until that improves they will be fighting for the 4th spot most years.

Gramps

Sorry about the abreviated version of the Heidelberg win over Ohio Wesleyan last night.  As exciting as the 11th inning was, it would have never happened without the heroics of a couple of other timely hits by J. Wentworth with a RBI single and G. Keene with a single that plated two runs to tie the game in the 9th inning.

Many thanks to the Berg players for an exciting and entertaining game.  It shows the character of both the team and the training of the coaches that you are never beaten till the last out. 

Heidelberg now stands at 17-5 and will meet Otterbein Sat. 4-4-09, for a conference doubleheader
in Peaceful Valley begining at 1:00PM.

GO BERGS!!!

inthecrease

im new here but i gotta agree with both Dr. Acula and fundimentalswin. i cant see how a team can operate without a pitching coach. I also have seen what happens when bad coaching sets in. ive seen high school coaches who allow a whole 5 minutes for a pitcher to warm up, then go right on the mound to throw 120 pitch bullpen sessions. then no ice. he doesnt believe in ice. I found in interesting that this topic has come up right when ONU played Defiance College this week. DC's pitching coach is Mark Sankovich from Poler Bear and 2008 First-Team All OAC and All Mid-east Region fame.

bballfanatic1984

Congrats to BW for beating the number 7 team in the nation Wooster. The bats really came alive, they won 17-8... if the jackets keep playing like that they could earn a berth to the OAC playoffs

Dr. Acula

Quote from: bballfanatic1984 on April 02, 2009, 08:27:33 PM
Congrats to BW for beating the number 7 team in the nation Wooster. The bats really came alive, they won 17-8... if the jackets keep playing like that they could earn a berth to the OAC playoffs

That's a good win for the Jackets.  Didn't they beat CoW last year also? 

Dr. Acula

Well, we might as well start talking about our first full slate of OAC games Saturday.  I'll be the sacrificial lamb and make my predictions first.

BW @ ONU -- Split.  Too close to call for me.
Marietta @ JCU -- Pios sweep again.  Nothing made me even consider JCU splitting this one. 
Musky @ Wilm -- Fish sweep.  The Quakers don't seem to be very strong this year.
MUC @ Cap -- Split.  I picked MUC to sweep last week and look what happened.  I'm saying split based on the reverse jinx coupled with Cap's pitching looking fairly solid against Etta.  That being said, MUC really NEEDS to sweep here.   
Ott @ Berg -- Berg sweeps.  This was the toughest call of the week for me.  I really think Ott has the pitching to win, but I know nothing about their lineup this year.  Berg is hot so I said eff it, maybe they'll sweep.

lhpdiggy

2nd year in row for BW over Wooster.  The kids got fired  up after dropping the 2nd game last Saturday to JCU.  It should be really interesting how things unfold as we get deeper in the season.  BW's defense had some issues today, but they can hit and the pitching is coming around. 

As far as the coaching (pitching) goes, at the end of day the kids are playing college ball, and they need to find help, either w/ the coach they have or elsewhere.  You would be amazed at the help the kids can get if they just ask.

Good luck to all this weekend

bballfanatic1984

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 02, 2009, 10:47:45 PM
Well, we might as well start talking about our first full slate of OAC games Saturday.  I'll be the sacrificial lamb and make my predictions first.

BW @ ONU -- Split.  Too close to call for me.
Marietta @ JCU -- Pios sweep again.  Nothing made me even consider JCU splitting this one. 
Musky @ Wilm -- Fish sweep.  The Quakers don't seem to be very strong this year.
MUC @ Cap -- Split.  I picked MUC to sweep last week and look what happened.  I'm saying split based on the reverse jinx coupled with Cap's pitching looking fairly solid against Etta.  That being said, MUC really NEEDS to sweep here.   
Ott @ Berg -- Berg sweeps.  This was the toughest call of the week for me.  I really think Ott has the pitching to win, but I know nothing about their lineup this year.  Berg is hot so I said eff it, maybe they'll sweep.

I well have to agree on all of these except i think BW will sweep ONU since they are pumped after a big win over Wooster, and they are playing with a chip on their shoulder from last weekend losing that second game to JCU. They have won 5 out of the last 6 games as well.

And i would have to say MUC will sweep Capital. Marriotti pitched his heart out last weekend earning pitcher of the week, and i think that will get them jump started to have a good weekend this weekend. They have a solid lineup and i think the flood gates are going to open with the bats on this game for MUC.

inthecrease

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 02, 2009, 10:47:45 PM

that being said, am i missing something in the strength of JCU's schedule or something? keeping my eyes on the top 25, i keep seeing them receiving votes week in and week out. i know it is never enough to get close to the actual top 25, but i was just curious. do they have an actual claim to these votes or just a couple of buddies in the media in cleveland.