BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mideastfan2

Quote from: inthecrease on April 03, 2009, 12:38:14 AM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 02, 2009, 10:47:45 PM

Marietta @ JCU -- Pios sweep again.  Nothing made me even consider JCU splitting this one. 

that being said, am i missing something in the strength of JCU's schedule or something? keeping my eyes on the top 25, i keep seeing them receiving votes week in and week out. i know it is never enough to get close to the actual top 25, but i was just curious. do they have an actual claim to these votes or just a couple of buddies in the media in cleveland.

this is just my guess, but I've been around long enough to have some sort of knowledge on the subject...they started off looking strong with a good spring trip, although they dind't play any good competition.  At that pint they started receiving votes in the poll b/c of their record.  Once a team receives some votes they usually just stay the course and keep receiving a few votes here and there (if they are near the bottom of the top 25) b/c it's too much work for every pollster to research every team.

It's sort of the same thing as a team starting the year in the top 5 and going 13-5, versus a team starting at number 25 and going 13-5.  You are going to maintain your starting position, and usually not rise or fall too many spots as long as you keep winning some games.

a spectator

I wouldn't put too much credence in the BW win over Wooster after the 11 game the night before with Marietta, many pitchers used, etc.  The same for the OWU win over Marietta last night.  Again, both teams have used many pitchers and are saving #1 and #2's for conference games this weekend.  Marietta has played 5 games this week.  Not sure how many Wooster has played.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: mideastfan2 on April 03, 2009, 08:37:34 AMthis is just my guess, but I've been around long enough to have some sort of knowledge on the subject...they started off looking strong with a good spring trip, although they dind't play any good competition.  At that pint they started receiving votes in the poll b/c of their record.  Once a team receives some votes they usually just stay the course and keep receiving a few votes here and there (if they are near the bottom of the top 25) b/c it's too much work for every pollster to research every team.

I have nothing to add other than to say that this is very well said.  The point about teams at the bottom flying under the radar because there is not enough time to research all those teams is very true.   

ScotsFan

Quote from: a spectator on April 03, 2009, 09:35:28 AM
I wouldn't put too much credence in the BW win over Wooster after the 11 game the night before with Marietta, many pitchers used, etc.  The same for the OWU win over Marietta last night.  Again, both teams have used many pitchers and are saving #1 and #2's for conference games this weekend.  Marietta has played 5 games this week.  Not sure how many Wooster has played.
Wooster used 5 different pitchers in yesterday's loss at B-W.  Four of them were freshmen.  All of whom have only appeared in 5 or fewer games and the Scots' final pitcher of the night, who the Jackets touched up for 5 runs was only making his 2nd appearance of the season.  And the lone non-freshman pitcher was a jr. who also leads the Scots for having the highest ERA on the team...  And it was still anybody's game through the 6th, until B-W finally found separation in the last 3 innings.

I still say that was disappointing to see Wooster's young pitchers not step up when finally given the opportunity to prove themselves...

Nice win for B-W, but Wooster put all their big guns out the night before in that 11 inning slugfest with regional rival and nationally ranked Marietta.  And they threw out their sacrificial freshmen to take one for the team last night as they were saving their experienced arms for their 4 conference games this weekend.

lhpdiggy

Thanks for the "nice win" comment ScotsFan....2 years in a row feels pretty good.  Good luck using those big guns this weekend against NCAC Hiram, followed by NCAC Kenyon.  Maybe those sacrificial freshman can bounce back against Case at Progressive.

GO OAC!

Gramps

Otterbein Visits Peaceful Valley Saturday
Fans can follow the action online with live statistics, including play-by-play, or listen live with Heidelberg's WHEI 88.9
Weather forecast: Sunny - 50 degrees - Looks like good baseball weather.  Come out and enjoy the game, and if you can't, either follow on live stats or on radio.  First game starts at 1:00PM
and the second game will began at approximately 4:00PM.

GO BERG!!!

Dr. Acula

Scores so far...

Berg 3, Ott 2 (top 6th)

JCU 5, Etta 2 (bottom 4th)

MUC 4, Cap 0 (bottom 4th)

Dr. Acula

Game 1 finals...

Berg 3, Ott 2.  Paddock goes to 5-1 on a solid effort today.

JCU 5, Etta 3.  Pios made it interesting loading the bases in the 7th, but couldn't score.  According to the JCU stat tracker Marietta made 6 errors.

MUC 9, Cap 0.  Mariotti followed up his Pitcher of the Week line (CG shutout, 2 H, 10 K) with another strong one today: 6 shutout innings, 1 H, 8 K.

bballfanatic1984

Dr. Acula

Lots of offense so far in the 2nd games...

Berg 12, Ott 7 (bottom 3).  Starters retired 3 batters combined in this one.

MUC 8, Cap 0 (bottom 2)

JCU 4, Etta 2 (bottom 3)

Dr. Acula

Updates...

Marietta 9, JCU 7 (top 8)

MUC 17, Cap 7 (top 7)

FINAL--Berg 15, Ott 8.  Great job by the Berg bullpen.  9 IP, 2 R.   

OAC baseball fan 3

ONU has TERRIBLE coaching.  I went to the game and watched as Brian Hill was pulled with 2 outs, bases loaded in the 6th with a tie game, pitching to a person who was 1-3 vs him with a bloop single.   The next pitcher came in and gave up a triple, to make the game 7-4.  THIS IS LUDACRIS.  ONU NEEDS a pitching coach.  The fact that he was pulled right after he struck out a batter, regardless if he walked the next, is stupid.  It was HIS game to lose, no one elses.  All of the fans were in agreement and felt sorry for the kids as they watched this happen. 

In the second game, Justin Miller DOMINATED.  He pitched all 9, but threw almost 150 pitches.  Once again... NEED a pitching coach for these kids.   

Dr. Acula

I'm glad that I was smart enough to know that putting the ) after top 8 in that score update would make that face appear.  Shows how much I know.

Summary of today:

Marietta and JCU split.  JCU takes game 1 (5-3) and Etta takes game 2 (15-13)  Looked like there were a lot of errors too, but that's based on stat tracker only.  A little surprised the Streaks scored that many runs today, but I'm also the moron that said I didn't even consider the possibility of a split. 

Berg swept Otterbein 3-2 and 15-8.  I'm waiting on Gramps for the details as I'm assuming he was in attendance.

MUC swept Cap 9-0 and 21-7.  Cap's pitching struggles after they looked decent against Marietta last week.  I would say Mariotti is the front runner for Pitcher of the Week except...

ONU and BW split.  BW wins the 1st 8-4 and ONU takes the 2nd 2-0.  Miller's effort for BW in the 2nd game is going to have to get him Pitcher of the Week, IMHO.  BW's bats had been hot and he absolutely shut them down.  9 inning complete game 3 hit shutout w/ 11 K.  Wow.  Great performance.     

Dr. Acula

Quote from: OAC baseball fan 3 on April 04, 2009, 08:58:25 PMIn the second game, Justin Miller DOMINATED.  He pitched all 9, but threw almost 150 pitches.  Once again... NEED a pitching coach for these kids.   

I'm a proponent of pitch counts.  I think they should be used as a guide, but I also think you have to take into account the kid, how he feels, the situation, etc.  That being said, I think approaching 150 is a little much regardless of any other factors. 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: OAC baseball fan 3 on April 04, 2009, 08:58:25 PM
ONU has TERRIBLE coaching.  I went to the game and watched as Brian Hill was pulled with 2 outs, bases loaded in the 6th with a tie game, pitching to a person who was 1-3 vs him with a bloop single.   The next pitcher came in and gave up a triple, to make the game 7-4.  THIS IS LUDACRIS.  ONU NEEDS a pitching coach.  The fact that he was pulled right after he struck out a batter, regardless if he walked the next, is stupid.  It was HIS game to lose, no one elses.  All of the fans were in agreement and felt sorry for the kids as they watched this happen.

I see your point about giving Hill the benefit of the doubt considering he's a senior and your ace, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment.  My guess is the coach had the following thought process:

"It's the 6th inning and we're tied.  Hill sandwiched a couple K's around a walk, but then he threw a wild pitch, walked the pinch hitter and gave up a single to the 9 hitter to turn the lineup over.  Kidd hasn't hit him well, but he's also a .436 hitter.  Do I want to risk it if Brian is getting tired or do I think my pen can get me 1 out?" 

Obviously I wasn't there so I have no clue what I would have done in his shoes, but I wanted to take a stab at his logic.