BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

JCU got a key sweep at Musky today.  They held the normally potent Musky lineup to a grand total of 1 run on the day.  1-0 (10) and 5-1 were the finals.

Thankfully I wasn't betting the mortgage on the games because I went a very solid 1 for 4 on my predictions (with the '1' being Berg sweeping last place Cap...aka the lay up).  Don't worry, I didn't throw my shoulder out patting myself on the back for that one!

bballfanatic1984

Dr. Acula this question is for you, and anyone else who wants to answer.

We are now wrapping up the 4 round of games and heading into the weekend for the fifth round. Out of all the teams in the OAC who do you think will be the four teams in the OAC playoffs? And who are the teams that are on the bubble right now?

Dr. Acula

Does anyone know why the Etta/MUC DH was postponed?  Was the field in bad shape?  I saw on the MUC website that the softball team played Cap at home.  In the pic the girl is wearing sunglasses!  Just curious.  I'm guessing this means we'll likely see a Knowlton/Mariotti match up thanks to the extra day off.  Let's hope so because that should be a good one.

Changing topics...has anyone seen Otterbein in person this season?  I can't figure them out so far.  BW gave them all they wanted today.  I will definitely make the short jaunt to Westerville soon.  Much safer than going to a Cap game!    

Dr. Acula

Quote from: bballfanatic1984 on April 08, 2009, 10:53:22 PM
Dr. Acula this question is for you, and anyone else who wants to answer.

We are now wrapping up the 4 round of games and heading into the weekend for the fifth round. Out of all the teams in the OAC who do you think will be the four teams in the OAC playoffs? And who are the teams that are on the bubble right now?

I think I should wait until after that ppd DH tomorrow, but as of this second...

Locks:  Etta, Berg

Probable:
JCU:  I put them next because they have a win against Etta in their pocket.  They blew a crucial sweep by splitting w/ Cap, but they got back to even by sweeping Musky today (hence why I said I thought it was a big sweep). 

Contenders:
MUC:  They've swept the 2 worst teams and split w/ ONU.  I was down on their split w/ ONU after the Bears' performance today, but you have to remember MUC faced Hill and Miller I believe.  Wilm faced their 3 & 4 today.  Bottom line, they're where they need to be, but a win tomorrow helps them immensely. 

Ott:  They're in a position they're not used to recently...playing the old sweep the bottom, steal a game from the top and split w/ everyone else game.  They're used to being one of "the top".  That being said they haven't lost any backbreaking conference games yet.  And they still have Etta on 4/18 at home.

Musky:  Same as above.  The only reason I have them below Ott and MUC is because I'm a little concerned after today.  1 run in 17 innings?  Not confidence inspiring.

BW:  I won't count them out yet.  Good split today.  That Musky sweep still hurts.  They need to sweep MUC to get back in this thing. 

Out:
ONU:  Today killed them.  But they're going to be a thorn in some sides the rest of the year.  With their 1-2 they have the potential to ruin some seasons.

Cap/Wilm:  Just not their year.   

lhpdiggy

I was at the first BW/OTT game today and it could have gone either way.  Hayes pitched for OTT and he has a great bender but I don't think he was landing it today.  The top of the line up for BW seem to sit on the FB and hit it hard w/ Kriesher getting 2 HR's w/ the help of the wind(at least on the 2nd one).  They are very athletic up the middle, and in LF and RF.  Kidd got another SB, so if you are fast and smart.....?????

Good luck this weekend and tell Knott he is much better that what he thinks he is.....he is a stud in my book

Thanks

inthecrease

Dr. Acula,

Granted we will get to see knowlton/mariotti tomorrow, but what do you think that will do to the game against the berg this weekend seeing how the princes had a throw away game today and an extra day rest then the raiders. I remember last year where the raiders were 6-0 in oac play entering this week and were 7-3 by the end of the week and their dynamic of the season changed from a regular season championship to fighting for 4th. This just seems like deja vu all over again.

Gramps

Jason Lash hit for the CYCLE in Game 2 with a double in the 1st, an RBI single in the 2nd, followed by a 2 Run HR in the 4th and a triple in the 6th. "It took 19 years to get this (THE CYCLE)" said Jason as he presented the game ball to his grandfather.  What a thrill.
Jason was 4-5, 3 RBIs, 1 Run, while G. Keene and S. Decker had 2 Hits each.
Reliever Brandon Stucky, 1 Hit and 3 Ks, got his 1st W of the season  by an 8-3 score over Capital.

In game 1, DHer R. Lizcano, 4-4, 2 RBIs, 3 Runs; B. Boytim, 3-4, 1 RBI, 3 Runs; L. B. Emrhein, 2-2, 1 Run; and G. Keene, 2-3, 2 Runs led the way to a 12-2 Win  over Capital.
Brian Koehl pitched a good outing with 4 Hits and 6 Ks.

Sat. 4-11-09:  The Berg vs Mount Union 1:00PM and 4:00PM

GO BERG!!!

mideastfan2

Quote from: inthecrease on April 09, 2009, 12:25:52 AM
Dr. Acula,

Granted we will get to see knowlton/mariotti tomorrow, but what do you think that will do to the game against the berg this weekend seeing how the princes had a throw away game today and an extra day rest then the raiders. I remember last year where the raiders were 6-0 in oac play entering this week and were 7-3 by the end of the week and their dynamic of the season changed from a regular season championship to fighting for 4th. This just seems like deja vu all over again.

I understand the frustration, but that's what you get with weather up north.  PLUS, the main thing is that regardless of how the season goes, if you want to do well in the post-season, you need THREE or more quality pitchers.  And an opportunity like this (playing DH's so close to each other), shows a team's true pitching depth.

If a team is good enough to make the post-season and play deep into it, then they should have no problem playing 4 games in three days.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: inthecrease on April 09, 2009, 12:25:52 AM
Dr. Acula,

First off, as usual mideast and I are in agreement.  The thing that separates the top teams from the rest of the conference is depth of pitching.  Is there that much  difference between Marietta's 1-9 and say MUC, Musky or BW's?  Probably not a ton.  Where Etta, Berg and up until this year Ott have pulled away is pitching depth.  It's not a coincidence that that's Marietta's calling card and they've been consistently a top program. 

As for your specific question, I honestly think that if MUC wakes up Sunday morning sitting at 7-3 that's a HUGE victory for them.  If they go 2-2 against Etta and Berg they're in great shape to make the OAC tourney.  But I think there is tremendous pressure on them today to at least split.  In particular, I think this could be the biggest start of Mariotti's career.  If he pitches well and they win the opener that relieves tons of pressure.  If he pitches poorly and they lose, then the pressure mounts on Irwin because he knows they have Berg Saturday with their 3-4 (not exactly a recipe for success considering you're going to see Paddock). 

a spectator

inthecrease

Mark Sabatino is starting for mount. saving irwin for a showdown against paddock on saturday. 1-0 etta, top 2

mideastfan2

this one is going to be HIGH scoring....Mount has come back to score 10 runs in the last 2 innings.

End of the 5th

MC - 7
Mount - 10

OAC baseball fan 3

ONU vs JCU

Positives for ONU- Miller/Hill get start, younger guys stepping up

Negatives for ONU- Wilmington..., starting 1b Robinson suspended for a week, defense

who wins and why

Dr. Acula

MUC gets the split winning the 2nd game 19-11.  Berg, Etta and MUC all 6-2 now.

Gramps

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 09, 2009, 07:07:30 PM
MUC gets the split winning the 2nd game 19-11.  Berg, Etta and MUC all 6-2 now.

You're right Dr. Acula, big showdown at MUC  this Sat. as they go head-to-head with the Berg.
I'm anticipating a couple of very exciting and hard played games.  Good Luck to both teams.
Normaly I'd be there, but we celebrate Easter on Sat. with our families.  We will be following the
action on the computer in between festivities.