BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forheavendial4999

Quote from: macdade77 on April 21, 2011, 11:06:48 AM
I've seen both Heidelberg and Marietta play this season. Marietta has more and better pitchers than HC. HC might have slightly more power than MC but MC has better at bats. Defensively, they are both very good. If both teams play as well as they are capable, then I give a slight edge to MC. Having said this, either team can win on any given day.

Heidelberg is about off the charts in terms of fielding in Division III, at least by the numbers and I don't think they're lacking in athletic ability to be able to get to balls. The record for fielding percentage is George Fox's .979 in 2005. Right now Heidelberg is .982. Marietta is solid but not spectacular defensively.

Gramps

forheavendial4999, yes, I was actually at both of these games. The details of the 9th inning are as follows:

Heidelberg's first batter of the 9th inning hits a HR , the 2nd batter hits a double, the next two men up hit singles, driving in the tying run. The 5th man up lays down a bunt for another single, loading the bases for the sixth and last man up for the inning who worked his way for a walk, and an RBI for the winning score. 

THE BERG  fans went wild at the end of the game. It was reminiscent of several games from last season in which the team came back from being behind in the late innings. 

forheavendial4999

Quote from: Gramps on April 21, 2011, 06:23:41 PM
forheavendial4999, yes, I was actually at both of these games. The details of the 9th inning are as follows:

Heidelberg's first batter of the 9th inning hits a HR , the 2nd batter hits a double, the next two men up hit singles, driving in the tying run. The 5th man up lays down a bunt for another single, loading the bases for the sixth and last man up for the inning who worked his way for a walk, and an RBI for the winning score. 

THE BERG  fans went wild at the end of the game. It was reminiscent of several games from last season in which the team came back from being behind in the late innings. 

Heidelberg certainly has a knack for the late game heroics. Do you have any feel for how or why? Do they have some way of ratcheting up their focus, I'm really curious. I've seen teams like this before that it seems like you just can't kill and still don't really get how they do it.

Gramps

If I could bottle it, I would make a fortune.  Maybe it's the "Rally Twizzlers", maybe it's the large fan base, maybe it's the Coach, maybe it's just the chemistry and talent of this particular group of players; but  whatever it is, we, the fans of Heidelberg are grateful for it and hope that the victories keep coming. Since you're such a great stats man, and I mean that as a compliment because I've seen some of your work, maybe you can spot something in their stats.  All I can say is that this has been a fun team to watch these past four years, as my grandson will graduate this year. It's amazing how quick four years can pass, but they have been filled with many memories. The many friends that we have aquired by being a member of the Heidelberg Family will be in our Hearts and minds forever. At the end of this season, I will recount some memories of the past four years as a Heidelberg Baseball Fan.
Good Luck to you and your team.

GO BERG!!!!

forheavendial4999

Well, having Lowe to (almost always) hold the other team where they are -- and have his teammates confidence that he will do that -- certainly has to help. The rest of it...I don't know, I'll see what I can figure out.

Kenworth

Marietta John Carroll doubleheader moved to Monday at 5:00 due to the current rain and forecast of more rain.

Gramps

THE BERG and the Cardinals split a DH in Westerville on Sat with THE BERG winning Game #1 - 8-4 and losing Game #2 - 4-3.
Game 1 - Starter E Holt went 5 INN - 8 Hits, 4 Runs & 3 SO - WIN #6
Coming in for Save #12 was A Lowe 2 INN - 2 Hits
The leading hitters were R Lizcano 3-4, 4 RBIs, 3 Runs; with 2 Hits each from W Brechun, A Buelow & J Martin and a hit from G Keen.
EXTRA BASES - HR - 2 from R Lizcano and 1 from A Buelow. DBL - R Lizcano
Game 2 - B Koehl pitched 6 INN, 2 Hits, 4 Runs & 5 SO.
A Lowe came in for 2 INN and gave up 2 Hits.
Leading the hitters were R Lizcano & A Monroe with 2 Hits each and W Brechun & A Buelow with single hits.
EXTRA BASES - DBL - A Monroe

EttaFan1

MC and John Carroll postponed again.   :-\  Make up date to be announced later.  I think Marietta is in the midst of finals week and that will influence the reschedule.

EttaFan1

Marietta and John Carroll now scheduled for Sunday.  Marietta has finals this week and could not play the double header any sooner.

So after more than a week off, the Pioneers will play 6 games in three days.

mideastfan2

Quote from: EttaFan1 on April 25, 2011, 04:49:33 PM
Marietta and John Carroll now scheduled for Sunday.  Marietta has finals this week and could not play the double header any sooner.

So after more than a week off, the Pioneers will play 6 games in three days.

according to the Marietta website, the JCU games are rescheduled for Tuesday April 26th at 5pm.

http://pioneers.marietta.edu/news/2011/4/25/BB_0425111323.aspx?path=baseball

EttaFan1

Yup. Earlier on jcu's site and the oac site it was on for Sunday but has now changed.

EttaFan1

MC vs JCU postponed to Sunday at 1:00 PM.

Gramps

Congrats to Marietta on attaining The # 1 Position in the D3 Poll. They have certainly earned it with their steady play over the season. Glad that it's another team from the OAC. How often has it happened that two teams from the same conference have been # 1 during the same year?

EttaFan1

Thanks for the good words...

Being #1 now and being #1 the week before the regionals start are two different things.  Who knows how many teams the mid-east region will have but like last year, in a 7 team field the #1 seed had a much easier road than any of the other six. 

I will take being the top seed in the region following the OAC tournament over being ranked #1 with three weeks to play.

mideastfan2

Marietta Senior John Snyder has been named National Hitter of the Week after his stat boosting performance last week.

http://pioneers.marietta.edu/news/2011/4/28/BB_0428113119.aspx?path=baseball