MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

sac

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 04:26:30 PM
A look at the teams ranked in the first Midwest ranking (records through Sunday, 2/3) and results since...

1.   Illinois Wesleyan   15-3 (.833)/.560  won vs North Park, won @ Carthage
2.   Transylvania   15-4 (.789)/.565   won @ Mount St. Joseph, won @ Manchester   
3.   Wheaton      13-5 (.722)/.577  won vs Augustana, won @ Millikin   
4.   Washington U.   15-4 (.789)/.544   won vs Emory, won vs Rochester   
5.   North Central    16-3 (.842)/.525  won @ Millikin, won @ Augustana   
6.   Rose-Hulman   18-2 (.900)/.502   won vs Franklin, won @ Defiance   
7.   Augustana   15-5 (.750)/.549   lost @ Wheaton, lost vs North Central
8.   St. Norbert   15-4 (.789)/.525   won vs Carroll, lost @ Grinnell   
-----
      Grinnell        14-3 (.824)/.471    won vs St. Norbert

Q if you get a chance, how close is Aurora to sneaking into this thing if at all?

kiko

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 08:08:19 PM
Quote from: kiko on February 10, 2013, 07:56:45 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 10, 2013, 04:54:46 PM
Looks like no real reason to change any of the top 6.  Will Grinnell slide up to 7th, with Augie 8th?  We'll see on Wednesday.

Well, even though the top six won, the relative ranking of their OWP may have changed depending on the quality of the teams they played.  This seemed to be a fairly significant factor in how teams were ordered in the first rankings, so you could justify moving teams around even though all won their games.

Also remember, this week they add "results vs regionally ranked" to the consideration.  For Wash U, this could be huge because 5 UAA teams are regionally ranked across 4 regions (Wash U in the MW, Emory in the South, Rochester and NYU in the East, Brandeis in the NE).  Then add the IWU and Wheaton games and you have a big number.  IWU is also in great shape in terms of results vs regionally ranked.

This could impact the rankings.

Wash U is 5-3 in these games, with return legs still to come against NYU and Brandeis:

Wins versus Emory (2), Rochester, NYU, IWU

Losses to Rochester, Brandeis, Wheaton

If I counted correctly, IWU is 5-2 versus RR teams so far, Wheaton is 5-3, and North Central is 4-2.  All would gain a win if Hope sneaks into the next release of the Great Lakes rankings this week following their win over Calvin yesterday.  Augustana is 1-7 versus RR and I do not expect them to remain in the rankings following their two losses last week.

Titan Q

Quote from: sac on February 10, 2013, 08:33:09 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 04:26:30 PM
A look at the teams ranked in the first Midwest ranking (records through Sunday, 2/3) and results since...

1.   Illinois Wesleyan   15-3 (.833)/.560  won vs North Park, won @ Carthage
2.   Transylvania   15-4 (.789)/.565   won @ Mount St. Joseph, won @ Manchester   
3.   Wheaton      13-5 (.722)/.577  won vs Augustana, won @ Millikin   
4.   Washington U.   15-4 (.789)/.544   won vs Emory, won vs Rochester   
5.   North Central    16-3 (.842)/.525  won @ Millikin, won @ Augustana   
6.   Rose-Hulman   18-2 (.900)/.502   won vs Franklin, won @ Defiance   
7.   Augustana   15-5 (.750)/.549   lost @ Wheaton, lost vs North Central
8.   St. Norbert   15-4 (.789)/.525   won vs Carroll, lost @ Grinnell   
-----
      Grinnell        14-3 (.824)/.471    won vs St. Norbert

Q if you get a chance, how close is Aurora to sneaking into this thing if at all?

Through last Sunday, Aurora was...

15-6 (.714)/.470

This past week they won vs Rockford and Maranatha Baptist.  So now Aurora is 17-6 (.739)...and still with SOS problems.  Another problem for Aurora is that they lost to Augustana (at Aurora)...who will be scrapping for that final spot too.

I don't see AU getting ranked, sac.  Just my take.

kiko

Should the Titans hold their in-form play and #1 regional ranking through the release of the bracket, a question comes to mind:

There are 62 teams in the field and two byes.  Previously, that meant two teams played only once in the first weekend rather than twice, and there was basically zero downside to being one of those two teams.

Now it means you'll have a 13-day layoff before your first game.  Do you still want the bye?  I say yes but am curious as to what others think.

Titan Q

Quote from: AndOne on February 10, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
Rebuttal?

Not really.  I guess I go back to something Ron Rose told me a few seasons ago...

"Whenever I see AndOne talking to one of our recruits in some high school gym, I take a step back and go get some popcorn...I figure that's pretty good for us."

Similarly, I'll just let your post speak for itself.  No rebuttal...but thanks for asking.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Titan Q on February 09, 2013, 11:16:22 PM
IWU 78
Carthage 59

http://www.iwusports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=1824&path=mbball

* Kevin Reed: 22 pts, 8 reb, 4 assists (10-10 FG)
* Pat Sodemann: 13 pts, 5 reb
* Mike Mayberger: 12 pts (4-7 3-point)
* Andrew Ziemnik: 10 pts, 11 reb, 2 assists
* Dylan Overstreet: 10 pts, 5 reb, 8 assists

Rebounds: IWU 42 Carthage 16

Everything that makes IWU a great team was on full display tonight...

* Balance
* Unselfishness/passing ability
* Defense
* Rebounding
* Coaching
* Talent

On the road in front of 1900 people, on a Senior Night, against a team that has knocked off both Wheaton and North Central, that's about as poised, confident, and efficient as you'll see a team play.  The Titans were just outstanding this evening.

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 06:37:47 PM
Bosko is premature in the assumption that IWU could get to Salem without leaving the Shirk Center.  If the Titans stay #1 in the region, sure...but those rankings can change quite a bit in the next 2 weeks.

But how can they possibly not remain atop the regional rankings? Certainly, they won't lose again this season. I mean a team with that many superlatives. Who could possibly stand a chance?
We may as well just cancel the remainder of the season, and hand the Heat, er, I mean the Weenies, the national championship trophy right now.
Rebuttal?

You sound just like cabonney in 2006, except for the snarkiness! ::)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 08:08:19 PM
Quote from: kiko on February 10, 2013, 07:56:45 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 10, 2013, 04:54:46 PM
Looks like no real reason to change any of the top 6.  Will Grinnell slide up to 7th, with Augie 8th?  We'll see on Wednesday.

Well, even though the top six won, the relative ranking of their OWP may have changed depending on the quality of the teams they played.  This seemed to be a fairly significant factor in how teams were ordered in the first rankings, so you could justify moving teams around even though all won their games.

Also remember, this week they add "results vs regionally ranked" to the consideration.  For Wash U, this could be huge because 5 UAA teams are regionally ranked across 4 regions (Wash U in the MW, Emory in the South, Rochester and NYU in the East, Brandeis in the NE).  Then add the IWU and Wheaton games and you have a big number.  IWU is also in great shape in terms of results vs regionally ranked.

This could impact the rankings.

Ah, yes - I did forget that! :-[

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 10, 2013, 05:24:31 PM
Quote from: D-3 watcher on February 10, 2013, 05:00:47 PM
Q, or anybody. With 5 teams ahead of IWU in the top 25 losing, where do you think the Titans end up this week? NCC, Wheaton?

I run the Posters' Poll.  There are still a couple of relevant games not yet over (e.g., Trinity @ Middlebury just underway; Southern Maine @ RIC still going), but once they are finished (and Darryl Nester puts up "How They Fared" to make sure I didn't forget any relevant results ;)), I'll let you know where I have them on my ballot.  I've been pretty consistently within +/- 2 slots of the d3hoops.com poll all season (there are 4-5 teams where we've disagreed by more; it's running about 50-50 on whether the next couple of weeks showed them or me to be more accurate! :)).  I can already tell you I'm pretty sure I'll have IWU and NCC both in the top ten; Wheaton somewhere around 16-18.

FWIW, I've now done my PP ballot.  I ended up with IWU 5, NCC 6, and Wheaton 18.  (My gut hunch is that I may have IWU and NCC a slot or two higher than the poll, Wheaton probably about right.  We shall see tomorrow.)

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 08:56:19 PM
Rebuttal?

Not really.  I guess I go back to something Ron Rose told me a few seasons ago...

"Whenever I see AndOne talking to one of our recruits in some high school gym, I take a step back and go get some popcorn...I figure that's pretty good for us."

Similarly, I'll just let your post speak for itself.  No rebuttal...but thanks for asking.

Well, summon the paramedics then because Rose must be suffering from severe popcorn craving syndrome!
Thats because the only kid on the Wesleyan roster that I've talked to is Andrew Ziemnik who, during those conversations three years ago, advised he hadn't yet made up his mind about which school he would attend. This despite  the fact his sister was already a student at Wesleyan and, in fact, he had indeed already made up his mind.
I think Ron Rose was just pissed off that someone had the audacity to dare to approach one of the anointed Wesleyan subjects.  :o 

AndOne

Quote from: AndOne on February 10, 2013, 08:31:16 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 08:11:29 PM
Q, or anybody. With 5 teams ahead of IWU in the top 25 losing, where do you think the Titans end up this week? NCC, Wheaton?

See the Top 25 results from this week update...

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4097.7440

I think IWU will end up #5.

IWU---------4
NCC---------5
Wheaton--18

We'll see  :)

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 10, 2013, 09:25:22 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 10, 2013, 05:24:31 PM

I run the Posters' Poll.  There are still a couple of relevant games not yet over (e.g., Trinity @ Middlebury just underway; Southern Maine @ RIC still going), but once they are finished (and Darryl Nester puts up "How They Fared" to make sure I didn't forget any relevant results ;)), I'll let you know where I have them on my ballot.  I've been pretty consistently within +/- 2 slots of the d3hoops.com poll all season (there are 4-5 teams where we've disagreed by more; it's running about 50-50 on whether the next couple of weeks showed them or me to be more accurate! :)).  I can already tell you I'm pretty sure I'll have IWU and NCC both in the top ten; Wheaton somewhere around 16-18.

FWIW, I've now done my PP ballot.  I ended up with IWU 5, NCC 6, and Wheaton 18. (My gut hunch is that I may have IWU and NCC a slot or two higher than the poll, Wheaton probably about right.  We shall see tomorrow.)

Looks like I gave your Weenies and my Cards a touch more credit, and we agree on the Orangemen's position.  :)

Titan Q

Quote from: AndOne on February 10, 2013, 09:49:52 PM
Well, summon the paramedics then because Rose must be suffering from severe popcorn craving syndrome!
Thats because the only kid on the Wesleyan roster that I've talked to is Andrew Ziemnik who, during those conversations three years ago, advised he hadn't yet made up his mind about which school he would attend. This despite  the fact his sister was already a student at Wesleyan and, in fact, he had indeed already made up his mind.
I think Ron Rose was just pissed off that someone had the audacity to dare to approach one of the anointed Wesleyan subjects.  :o

Ah yes, the AndOne recruitment of Andrew Ziemnik.  Now I remember. 

First you explained how Ziemnik made a "poor basketball decision" in choosing IWU:

Quote from: AndOne on May 09, 2010, 02:16:16 PM
Several of this year's freshman at NCC will have a chance to play NOW. Few, if any of the IWU freshmen will have that opportunity. Yes, they will great a great education which is always the primary reason to go to school, but several have made a poor basketball decision. You mentioned Andrew Ziemnik specifically. I think Andrew knows that he could have come to NCC and have a legitimate shot at either starting or being a primary sub this year on top of getting a great education. In choosing Wesleyan, he made a great academic decision. Not so much as far as a basketball decision.

And then I recounted the "where will you play?" story...

Quote from: Titan Q on May 09, 2010, 02:32:04 PM
And I've heard what you did at the IWU @ NCC game this year to convince Mr. Ziemnik of that...circling the names of IWU's forwards on the roster and writing, "where will you play?" and handing it to him.  (He gave it to Ron Rose after the game and said, "Uh, that guy over there gave this to me.")  Pretty intense stuff, Mark! :)  Everyone at IWU was good with it as it seemed to seal the deal for the Titans.

Let's not write Andrew's career off before he even walks in the door, huh?  As Dan Sand reminded you earlier today, you had Brandon Kunz dead an buried at Augie a year ago...and he started both conference tournament games.  Let's let a few seasons play out why don't we?

Never a dull moment with you, AndOne.

By the way, the answers to the question you asked Andrew 3 years ago, "where will you play", are so far:

- Small Forward
- Power Forward

WUPHF

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 02:45:41 PM
Just one game I realize, but wow...not sure what I saw there from Rochester.

Not suggesting that I know more about basketball than you.   And, not suggesting that you need to praise Washington University for my vanity.  But there were two teams on the court. 

Rochester did not play their best game today and clearly would have been in the game had they shot their season average from three-point range.  But Washington University played a game today.  I honestly think that team would have taken down the full-strength Titans today.  No way to know.  But that is what I think.

WUPHF

I do know one thing, today Washington University displayed:

* Balance
* Defense
* Rebounding
* Coaching
* Talent

No denying.

Gregory Sager

What Mark did three years ago in approaching Andrew Ziemnik was pretty silly (and, as he related, pretty fruitless since the kid was already bound and determined to go to Wesleyan). But Ron Rose does not come off well in this story if your quote is accurate, Bob.

Quote from: WUH on February 10, 2013, 10:38:02 PM
I do know one thing, today Washington University displayed:

* Balance
* Defense
* Rebounding
* Coaching
* Talent

No denying.

LOL!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell