2010 Cortaca Jug

Started by Bombers798891, November 08, 2010, 09:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

So, it's Cortaca week! Will the Red Dragon seniors graduate with a win, or will the Bombers retain the Jug? What are we thinking?

fisheralum91

I havent seen Cortland play so I have nothing to go by but record.
If IC shows up with a performance like AU or Fisher, the game is over before it starts.
If IC brings a semblence of a running game and a strong defensive plan, I like IC.
I like IC in this one.

maxpower

It's the jug folks, records and experience go OUT THE WINDOW.... unless IC has the advantage  ;D.

I almost forgot it's Cortaca week! Exciting stuff.

Last time Cortland won? 2006.

Last time Cortland won at the Chugger II? 2006.

Let's keep the streaks alive folks! Empty the stadium of the Jr. Jets by halftime...

RedDragonFan

Quote from: maxpower on November 08, 2010, 10:54:08 AM
It's the jug folks, records and experience go OUT THE WINDOW.... unless IC has the advantage  ;D.

I almost forgot it's Cortaca week! Exciting stuff.

Last time Cortland won? 2006.

Last time Cortland won at the Chugger II? 2006.

Let's keep the streaks alive folks! Empty the stadium of the Jr. Jets by halftime...
Agree that records go out the window.  While I've not seen IC play, from what I've read, if they show up, which as Max points out, they will as it's Cortaca, it should be a great game.  Feels like it's gonna be a defensive battle.  Long range forecast looks like cloudy but no rain/sleet or snow so thats a win already!

Bombers798891

Everything points to a close game. Cortland hasn't beaten Ithaca by more than eight points since 1996, but Ithaca lacks the firepower to score much on a nasty Cortland defense. This feels like a 17-10 game.

(Cortland Grads: Find someone to help you take your shoes off so you can count to 17 if you're confused)

Here's my questions:

1) What to make of the Cortland offense? The raw numbers look good, but 10 against Montclair, 17 against Rowan and 24 against Kean make me wonder. The QB play looks kinda shaky (54% completion percentage) and your red zone offense is far worse than Ithaca's (82%-64%) which strikes me as odd considering you have a competent running game

2) Is Cortland's D really this good, or are the NJAC offenses just cruddy? A little of both? I mean, 61 points allowed is astounding, but other than Cortland, no-one but Buff State is likely to break 300 points this season and five of the nine may not break 200. The highest scoring non-Cortland team in the NJAC would be 5th in points in the E8. I know Montclair and Rowan are really good defensively, but man, there are some weak offenses over there from what I can see. What's the scuttlebutt?

3) Are my eyes deceiving me or is Cortland's starting QB actually healthy? It's a Cortaca miracle!

Yanks 99

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 08, 2010, 12:49:37 PM
Everything points to a close game. Cortland hasn't beaten Ithaca by more than eight points since 1996, but Ithaca lacks the firepower to score much on a nasty Cortland defense. This feels like a 17-10 game.

(Cortland Grads: Find someone to help you take your shoes off so you can count to 17 if you're confused)

Here's my questions:

1) What to make of the Cortland offense? The raw numbers look good, but 10 against Montclair, 17 against Rowan and 24 against Kean make me wonder. The QB play looks kinda shaky (54% completion percentage) and your red zone offense is far worse than Ithaca's (82%-64%) which strikes me as odd considering you have a competent running game

2) Is Cortland's D really this good, or are the NJAC offenses just cruddy? A little of both? I mean, 61 points allowed is astounding, but other than Cortland, no-one but Buff State is likely to break 300 points this season and five of the nine may not break 200. The highest scoring non-Cortland team in the NJAC would be 5th in points in the E8. I know Montclair and Rowan are really good defensively, but man, there are some weak offenses over there from what I can see. What's the scuttlebutt?

3) Are my eyes deceiving me or is Cortland's starting QB actually healthy? It's a Cortaca miracle!

Older Cortland grads are screwed on this...but as of 2006 a manadatory freshman class was implemented which goes over the benefits of velcro sneakers...
Hartwick College 2007 Empire 8 Champions

clandfan

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 08, 2010, 12:49:37 PM

Here's my questions:

Cortland's offensive woes, I believe, lie with the offensive line.  They have had some key injuries and have had to move some people around.   

In the first 5 games Cortland gave up 4 sacks and QB pass completion pct was 60%+.  Passer eff. rating was high
In last 4 games Cortland has given up 7 sacks and QB pass completion pct is 47%. Passer eff. rating low.

In that 5th game there was a key injury to the younger Pitcher at RT.  Done for season.  Strarting RG moved to RT.  New RG was hurt...now we have 3rd RG. and we are inexperienced in positions.  I think the numbers are telling.

I think we feel good about our QB play overall and if the OL can give him time, he will be a factor.  A key to IC's game plan, on the other hand, will be to pressure the QB.

Our strength all year has been our defense and while I have not seen any IC games this year, I will venture that they have not played a defense like this one.  They have come up big game after game.

We have to play better on offense.  As for red zone offense, I can count at least 3 turnovers.  we have to take care of the ball.  Our receivers need to be more aggressive

Here is a surprise...I like Cortland in this one....and I'm not going to get drawn into the IC sucks thing....although I do find Velcro quite handy.

DanPadavona

We have obvious issues on the offensive line.  Autera is breaking a lot of tackles near the line of scrimmage, and Pitcher is under constant pressure when he drops back.  If we had the 2006 OL to block for Pitcher and Autera, this would be the best team in Eastern Region.  Hopefully some of the younger kids develop, but I think they need to hit the recruiting trail with an emphasis on OL.

Justin Bieber created 666 false D3 identities to give me negative karma.

RedDragonFan

Does anyone else think that Pitcher holds the ball a bit too long too?  Not saying the line is O line is not an issue, but there have been many times where I thought he needed to make the decision to dump the ball sooner rather than force it in or take the sack.  When he's sharp, he's outstanding but it does seem to take him a quarter or two to get in synch with his recievers.  As I type this, realizing that I sound like I am not a fan of his but not true. Just a couple of observations.  As stated before, I too am happy with the Cortaca miracle of 2010.

For the record, I am not a velcro fan. It's a rip off.  (rimshot please!)

Bombers798891

Quote from: clandfan on November 08, 2010, 01:59:13 PM

Our strength all year has been our defense and while I have not seen any IC games this year, I will venture that they have not played a defense like this one.  They have come up big game after game.

Yeah, that's why I asked about the NJAC offenses though. Nothing against Cortland, but when you're holding opponents to 7 points a game and have only given up 10 points twice all season, I have to wonder if week in, week out, you're going up against good offenses. In fact, according to the NCAA, through 10/30 the best offense in the NJAC outside of Cortland was in points scored was 82nd and in terms of yardage, Brockport was tops at 79th. It's accurate to say you're the best defense we've faced, but might we be the best offense you've seen?

Yes, I'm sure good defenses keep the numbers down, especially since you don't go OOC often, but I wonder if the NJAC offenses have given your defense a true test.

maxpower

Where's CState19..... did they let him out of county jail yet?

Cortland grads might be asking about JQV's whereabouts, but he's on vacation; he was the prosecutor!

BoSox0322

This just feels like this is a game where Cortland should win but Ithaca is going to come out and suprise everyone and put up 40

maxpower

Quote from: BoSox0322 on November 08, 2010, 04:01:48 PM
This just feels like this a game where Cortland should win but Ithaca going to come out and suprise everyone and put up 40

For the last three years that game has been called "The Cortaca Jug."

JT

Quote from: RedDragonFan on November 08, 2010, 03:22:31 PM
Does anyone else think that Pitcher holds the ball a bit too long too?  Not saying the line is O line is not an issue, but there have been many times where I thought he needed to make the decision to dump the ball sooner rather than force it in or take the sack.  When he's sharp, he's outstanding but it does seem to take him a quarter or two to get in synch with his recievers.  As I type this, realizing that I sound like I am not a fan of his but not true. Just a couple of observations.  As stated before, I too am happy with the Cortaca miracle of 2010.

For the record, I am not a velcro fan. It's a rip off.  (rimshot please!)

I think he's too quick to leave the pocket sometimes.  There were times against Rowan when he should have stepped up in the pocket.  He likes to roll and flick passes outside the hashes which really shortens the passing game.  He throws on the run too much.  The oline injuries may have some impact on his game.

BoSox0322

Quote from: maxpower on November 08, 2010, 04:07:17 PM
Quote from: BoSox0322 on November 08, 2010, 04:01:48 PM
This just feels like this a game where Cortland should win but Ithaca going to come out and suprise everyone and put up 40

For the last three years that game has been called "The Cortaca Jug."

Haha... I guess it wouldnt be a suprise then