MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bengalsrule

Toughest Syracuse series I ever remember.  Ran into a Cortland team Friday that A couldn't miss (18/37 from behind the arc) and B broke out some guy named Grunder. Reminds me of a Plattsburgh Patron who can shoot 3's also ( go figure). The kid was a beast !
  Just wasn't our day at Cortland.  Fortunately we all get to play everyone twice in this conference

Next day at Oswego wasn't much better although halfway through the 2nd half and BENGALS cutting at 19 pt lead down to 10, the unthinkable happened. Senior forward Steve Calvo is running down court and for some reason his knee just goes out.  He let out the most bone shattering yell that I have ever heard on a college campus.  My god.  Some , like me , could feel his pain.  Game stopped for over 10 mins. Oswego crowd was very gracious as he sat up and then was carried to his seat .

Don't remember too much more of the game after that. TBH.

I do know that Brockport is next up in the horizon in 72 hours. Hopefully our depleted ranks will figure out what they are doing wrong and right the ship

I think they will

Go BENGALS 

scooterman

Well the dreaded North Country trip is over for my Eagles and coming out of it 1-1 isn't bad, but not exactly what they pictured. I watched the Potsdam game on the website and was disappointed in the defensive intensity of my Eagles. Potsdam shot the ball well and is definitely a very good team, but my Eagles didn't match their intensity on the defensive end of the floor. #23 for Potsdam is a very talented scorer that was the catalyst and thorn in the Eagles side all night. Potsdam matches up very well with the Eagles as far as quickness, transition and rebounding. Hopefully when they come to Bport the tables will be turned!!!

I didn't get to watch the Plattsburgh game but it appears that the Eagles were ready for whatever the Cards threw at them. Nice win to get back on track!!! Go B-port

thebear

Geneseo at Potsdam
1-11-2020
Knights went in to Jerry Welsh Gymnasium, having won a last minute win at Plattsburgh on Friday, to face the Potsdam Bears who posted an 86-70  thumping on the heavily favored Brockport Eagles on Friday Night

Bears got off to a very slow start, as Genny's Elijah Wingfield and Joseph Harclerode led the Knights to a 14-2 lead just over 4 minutes into the contest.

10 minutes into the first half, Genny still led by 11, and not looking good for my Bears.

Potsdam, finally got their act together and clawed back to end the first half down by 1, 27-28. Sparkplug for Potsdam was Dante Viskovich who came off the bench to hit 3 bombs from long range  to close the gap.

Second Half, Bears obviously got a serious pep talk from Coach Bechtel and came out with their game faces on.

Bears engineered a 38-35 lead in the first five minutes of 2H
Extended from there to + 10 just under 10:00

Back and forth after that, Genny got a 3pt play with with a foul and a T to keep it close with 3:00 left.
Bears closed it out from there.

Potsdam led by newcomer Isaiah Brown with 21 points and 9 rebounds, top defender Aaron Armstrong had a career high 12,  including three clutch treys. Tyrese Baptiste continues to be a force in the paint with 10 rebs and 5 blocks in 20 minutes.

Genny led by Elijah Wingfield with 18 and Michael Gannon with 14, [all in 2H from behind].

Bears Host Platty on Tuesday night.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

thebear

so after two weekends, the SUNYAC is shaking down like this.

Oneonta leads at 3-0.

Cortland, Oswego, Brockport and Potsdam all at 3-1, Brockport has wins over Cortland and Oswego, Potsdam has a win over Brockport and a loss at Oneonta.

Buff State is a game and a half back at 1-2, and Geneseo and Plattsburgh both 1-3.  New Paltz and Fredonia bringing up the rear at 0-3.

As Han Solo said in Star Wars, this is gonna be close.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

magicman

Austin Grunder receives more weekly honors.

Austin was named to the D3hoops Team of the Week for Week #8 on Monday for the 2 huge games he had over the weekend. It marked the second time this season he's made the TOTW having done so back on December 10th for Week #4
Here's the write up for this week's award:

"Austin Grunder
Grunder averaged 30 points and 17 rebounds per game along with three assists and three steals per contest in two home SUNYAC wins. He scored 35 points - the most by a Cortland player in six years - and grabbed 16 rebounds in a 107-80 win over Buffalo State, making 13-of-18 field goals, including 4-of-6 3-pointers. The following afternoon he registered 25 points and 18 rebounds in a 96-66 win over Fredonia."

Here's the link to the complete Team of the Week: https://www.d3hoops.com/awards/tow/2019-20/week8

Austin was also selected as the SUNYAC Player of the Week for the 4th time this season.   It marked the 2nd time he has been selected in back to back weeks. He still leads the nation in rebounds per game and is 2nd in the nation in double-doubles. He's near the top in several other categories as well.

Here's the write up from the SUNYAC website on his POTW award.

"Posted: Jan 13, 2020   
CORTLAND, N.Y. - The State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) names Austin Grunder (Trumansburg, N.Y.) its PrestoSports Men's Basketball Athlete of the Week for the fourth time this season.

Grunder averaged 30 points and 17 rebounds per game along with 2.5 assists and 2.5 steals per contest in two home SUNYAC wins for the Red Dragons. He scored 35 points - the most by a Cortland player in six years - and grabbed 16 rebounds in a 107-80 win over Buffalo State Friday night. He made 13-of-18 field goals, including 4-of-6 3-pointers. The following afternoon he registered 25 points and 18 rebounds in a 96-66 win over Fredonia. Grunder currently leads Division III nationally with 16.5 rebounds per game. He has 10 double-doubles in 11 games."

magicman

Jan. 14     All ten teams in action on a Tuesday which is the ony time it will happen this year

Buffalo State  at  Brockport State        4:00 PM

The Bengals have their work cut out for them when they take on the Golden Eagles in Brockport today. At least they know they can win there, having pulled off that feat last year by an 88-80 score. In fact the last 3 times the Bengals have defeated Brockport they have all occured on Port's home court. That's the good news. The bad news is they are 3-16 over the last 8 years against the Golden Eagles. That equals the number of wins they had in the 2010-11 season when they beat Brockport 3 times.

Brockport wasn't happy with their 1-1 trip to the North Country over the weekend. They are hoping for an Oneonta win tonight so they can reclaim a share of first place in the YAC.

The oddsmakers have made the Golden Eagles a solid 16 point favorite in this one. Based on current form that might not be enough. I think Brockport wins this one by a 94-75 final score.   

Oneonta State  at  Cortland State        4:00 PM  Featured Game of the Day

The first of the annual battles between Red Dragon relatives. The Cortland variety is looking to knock off their Oneonta cousins, who are undefeated in the conference. Last year Oneonta was 2-1 against Cortland and both of those wins came in Cortland.

Both teams are red hot right now, with Oneonta on a 6 game winning streak and Cortland on an even longer, 8 game unbeaten stretch. Cortland has been missing one of their new acquisitions for 5 of those games but hasn't missed a beat.

The point spread favors Cortland by 9 points. I think that's a few too many and was even tempted to pick Oneonta to win this game. They still may, but I'll take Cortkland to come away with the W here by an 82-78 final score.       

Back later with the other games.

magicman

Cortland 44 Oneonta 38 at the half.

Apparently the Brockport State-Buffalo State game did not tip off at 4:00 PM as the D3hoops schedule said it would. It tips off at 7:30 this evening.

Cortland trailed Oneonta early 10-3 but soon caught those Red Dragons at 12-12 and went right on by to a 21-14 lead. That 18-4 run was fueled by 4 three pointers from 4 different players. The largest lead was 8 points on 3 different occasions by Cortland.

Austin Grunder leads Cortland with 9 points and 13 rebounds. Ben Walters has 8 points and 4 assists. Ryan Schmadel has 8 points as well.

Oneonta is led by 11 points and 5 rebounds from Joe Bull. Harrison Deegan and Dylan Trombley both have 8 points and 4 rebounds.   

magicman

Jan. 14 

Fredonia State  at  Geneseo State        7:30 PM

Fredonia looking to get their first conference win. Geneseo looking to move into a playoff position. Knights favored by 13. I think Geneseo wins this one  74-64.

Plattsburgh State  at  Potsdam State        7:30 PM

Potsdam has lost 14 in a row to the Cardinals. Tonight they end that streak. Oddsmakers have them listed as a 13 point favorite.  They should cover. Bears win 86 to   73.

Oswego State  at  New Paltz State        7:30 PM

Lakers keep on rolling as they are favored by 13 as well.  Hawks winless in the conference and will stay that way for at least another day. Oswego 84 New Paltz 70.

magicman

Potsdam 48 Plattsburgh 33

Bears firing on all cylinders as they shoot 50% from the field and manage to build a quick double digit lead. Cardinals cut it to single digits on several occasions but Potsdam manages to hit 3 pointers nearly every time to boost the lead back to 15.

Potsdam is led by Isaiah Brown with 10 points and 4 rebounds. Tyrese Baptiste has 9 points and 7 rebounds. Danny Delsol-Lowry has 8 points.

Plattsburgh gets 7 points from Axel Rodriguez, and 5 points each from Matt Bernhard, Travis Cox and Jeremy Eisenman.

magicman

Updates:

Oswego leads New Paltz 66-47 with 8:21 to play.

Fredonia leads Geneseo 59-58 with 2:17 to play.

Brockport leads Buffalo State 79-48 with 11:35 left to play.

Oneonta defeats Cortland 89-81.

magicman

Tuesday's Final Scores:

Oneonta 89  Cortlnd 81

Brockport 100  Buffalo State 81

Oswego State 84  New Paltz 59

Fredonia 64  Geneseo 62

Potsdam 98  Plattsburgh 79

Bengalsrule

Whew. I took a couple of days to recuperate from that Brockport spanking. Silver lining is that after being down by 30 at half we fought back to close within 18. But a loss.....is a loss. I know my beloved BENGALS

Bengalsrule

Whew. Im glad I finally got the taste out of my mouth of that Brockport game.  I was good to see the boys fight back but they put themselves in to big of a hole to begin with (down 30 at half...loss by 18).  I know the boys are glad to return home for the next 2 games (Vs Plattsburgh and Potsdam)   Hopefully we can get going at home. Cant keep spotting teams an early lead. Gotta stay competitive from the very beginning.  My BENGALS have the talent. Just gotta put if together. This weekend is as good a time as any!

Go BENGALS

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on January 16, 2020, 10:25:52 AM
Whew. Im glad I finally got the taste out of my mouth of that Brockport game.  I was good to see the boys fight back but they put themselves in to big of a hole to begin with (down 30 at half...loss by 18).  I know the boys are glad to return home for the next 2 games (Vs Plattsburgh and Potsdam)   Hopefully we can get going at home. Cant keep spotting teams an early lead. Gotta stay competitive from the very beginning.  My BENGALS have the talent. Just gotta put if together. This weekend is as good a time as any!

Go BENGALS

I'll root for next weekend if you don't mind. ;)