2018 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ralph Turner, February 25, 2018, 07:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Aside from Ramapo and Springfield fans, I think yesterday's games finished as most people thought they would. Others may disagree, but it seemed like both games were pretty choppy. Not a lot of smooth flow offensively, and players often looked lost on the defensive end. Because of my advanced age and frequent forgetfulness, I'm glad Greek Tragedy reminded me I graduated from NWU so I'll know who to root for tonight. 😏
I did think that of the four teams yesterday, Oshkosh looked the best.
I'm worried about how the boys from Lincoln are going to handle their bigs and interior game. Perhaps they'll counter with a barrage of threes as there isn't much doubt that many missiles will be launched from long range tonight. Also, with the Wolves short rotation, and several players playing the whole or almost whole game, I hope their dens were comfortable last night and that they slept well.
Hoping for a close, well played game with the Walnut & Bronze going home to Nebraska.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on March 17, 2018, 12:34:59 PM
Whether UW-Oshkosh or Nebraska Wesleyan, this will be the 30th national title won by a school in the "midwest" states in 44 years of the Division III MBB tournament. Titles have come from:

- Wisconsin 12
- Illinois 6
- Ohio 4
- Michigan 2
- Missouri 2
- Minnesota 2
- Indiana 1

After tonight, 9 of the last 11 titles will have come from this part of the country.

Bob's doing his best to make sure that he cuts down on his holiday season mail flow by not getting any Christmas cards from NESCAC fans. ;)

(But, hey, I've pointed out this same tendency in past years on d3boards.com. As I said here yesterday, I typically cheer for the midwestern teams in the Final Four ... and I'm usually pleased by the results.)

Quote from: AndOne on March 17, 2018, 02:42:02 PM
Hoping for a close, well played game with the Walnut & Bronze going home to Nebraska.

It would be the farthest west that the Walnut & Bronze has ever gone ... although the same can't be said of The BeltTM, of course, of which NWU is currently in at least overnight possession after taking ItTM from Springfield. The BeltTM has actually been to the West Coast more than once.

Nebraska Wesleyan would also be the first of the so-called "island schools" of D3 to win the national championship, so I'm sure that the Prairie Wolves are being cheered on in such distant precincts as Presque Isle, Maine; Hancock, Michigan; Santa Cruz, California; Colorado Springs, Colorado; and Abilene, Texas ... eh, Ralph? ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dutch Calvinist Reformer

??? ??? ???  CBS Sports Network...not in my Directv package.  Anyone have a password or shortcut?

Gregory Sager

Nebraska Wesleyan leads at the half, 45-43. NWU's only lead of the half came on a Schimonitz buzzer-beating trey.

This is a great game if you like treys. The two teams are a combined 18-28 from beyond the arc.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

FCGrizzliesGrad

Been a good back and forth battle. Oshkosh has led most of the way but the Prairie Wolves always respond. NWU with a 3 at the buzzer to take a 45-43 lead at halftime
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

TheOsprey

Halftime observations--  UWO offense for now is the three point shot.  I don't see that percentage staying at its current rate.  If it does, they probably win.  The inside game is absent.

NB Wesleyan has been running their sets and they are getting easier shots inside the paint.  NWU has about two fouls and Oshkosh has near ten.  Foul trouble will be an issue with the short bench.  Refs are letting them play for the most part.

Good luck to both teams and their fans.  Should be close.  OT??

Titan Q

Quote from: Dutch Calvinist Reformer on March 17, 2018, 05:58:57 PM
??? ??? ???  CBS Sports Network...not in my Directv package.  Anyone have a password or shortcut?

It's on my Direct TV - channel 221.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

The Titans have cooled off from beyond the arc; the Prairie Wolves haven't.

FCGrizzliesGrad

It's been the opposite of the first half... Nebraska Wesleyan has led most of the way but the Titans keeping it within reach. 75-72 NWU with 2 minutes left

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Gregory Sager

Schmonitz is one of the most cold-blooded players I've seen in many, many years.

Gregory Sager

Nebraska Wesleyan 78
UW-Oshkosh 72

Congratulations to the Prairie Wolves upon winning their first-ever Big Doorstop.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Congrats to the Prairie Wolves. 78-72 final

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Gregory Sager

Congrats as well to the IIAC, which won its first-ever D3 title as well in its first-ever Final Four appearance.

Coming into this tournament, the record for three-pointers made in a tourney belonged to the '93 Augustana team that made 59 treys.

In this tournament, UW-Oshkosh made 80 treys and Nebraska Wesleyan made 73.

dunkin3117

Wait, what??? A team from the mediocre IIAC won the title. Unreal.

Congrats to Nebraska Wesleyan, way to represent your school and your LEAGUE.