University Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam40jeff

Quote from: ADL70 on November 23, 2011, 08:54:56 AM
All-UAA team

http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/Football/11_FB_All-Assoc.pdf

Congrats to all!

One interesting thing that caught my eye...how did Dan Calabrese get "Player of the Year - Special Teams" and yet was only on "All-Association Second Team - Special Teams"?

ADL70

Quote from: jam40jeff on November 28, 2011, 08:39:19 AM
Quote from: ADL70 on November 23, 2011, 08:54:56 AM
All-UAA team

http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/Football/11_FB_All-Assoc.pdf

Congrats to all!

One interesting thing that caught my eye...how did Dan Calabrese get "Player of the Year - Special Teams" and yet was only on "All-Association Second Team - Special Teams"?

Nice catch.  I missed that seeming inconguity.  But he was second team KR/PR the Spartan site noted:

"Calabrese earned his award for the all-around impact he made with the Special Teams unit in 2011. He made 33 punt returns for 367 yards (11.1 ypr) with a touchdown and eight kickoff returns for 195 yards (24.4 ypr). Calabrese took over for an injured Zachary Scott (Imperial, Pa./West Allegheny) at the holder position early in the year as senior kicker Daniel Vasil (Erie, Pa./McDowell) hit 11-of-14 field goal attempts and 18-of-19 extra point tries during the final six games of the season.  Calabrese also threw a 23-yard touchdown pass on a fake field goal versus Hiram College in mid-October."

Check your PMs
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ADL70

UAA All-Region selections:

CMU  Sam Thompson JR CB  2nd team
        Nathan Cheek SO OG 3rd team

CWRU  Dale English SR DT 2nd team
          Dan Calabrese JR S 3rd team

UChi   Danny Polanczeky SR LB 2nd team
         Dee Brizzolara JR Ret 3rd team

Sorry WUStL

Pat you need to edit Meador's entry (how many interceptions?)

and Eri Westerberg needs a "k"
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: ADL70 on December 06, 2011, 08:46:30 PM
UAA All-Region selections:

CMU  Sam Thompson JR CB  2nd team
        Nathan Cheek SO OG 3rd team

CWRU  Dale English SR DT 2nd team
          Dan Calabrese JR S 3rd team

UChi   Danny Polanczeky SR LB 2nd team
         Dee Brizzolara JR Ret 3rd team

Should be some bright young talent returning next year around the conference.

Can't say enough about the job that Debeljak has done turning CWRU into an every-year power.  While they haven't played the TOUGHEST schedule around, they've beaten plenty of "decent" teams along the way, and going 47-3 in the regular season over the last five years is pretty incredible.  I thought they'd fall way off after Whalen graduated, and the staff deserves a lot of credit for following the magical playoff seasons with 8-2 and 9-1. 

Next year, the CMU offense will return virtually intact (two-year starter at QB, two leading rushers at HB plus a decent backup FB that should step in as the starter, four OL's that started the majority of this season).  The defense loses a couple of key guys (DL Medenbach, LB Behmke, DB's Johnson and Miller) but brings back enough talent in the front seven that they should improve next year.  It's possible that CMU could pull out of the 5-5 doldrums of the last couple years.  I'd love to see at least a seven-win season; that would represent some progress.

Also, congrats to CMU senior DL Andrew Medenbach and the aforementioned junior DB Sam Thompson on selections as Capital One Academic All-Americans.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

ExTartanPlayer

Big news!

http://bearsports.wustl.edu/Sports/Content/Pages/fb12-13-11.aspx

UAA schools to affiliate with other conferences (WashU and Chicago with the SAA, CMU and CWRU with the PAC) starting in 2015.

formerd3db

That should provide some variety and interesting games I would think.  It might even help those teams for the post-season competition.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

bashbrother

Good news for the schools of the UAA....  I think it makes good sense and will establish a bright and exciting future for the quality athletic programs at each of the schools.  The 2015 confuses me a bit.

Why should you go for it on 4th down?

"To overcome the disappointment of not making it on third down." -- Washington State Coach Mike Leach

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: bashbrother on December 13, 2011, 12:56:07 PM
Good news for the schools of the UAA....  I think it makes good sense and will establish a bright and exciting future for the quality athletic programs at each of the schools.  The 2015 confuses me a bit.

I'm not "sure" of this, but I suspect it may have to do with one (or more) of the following:

1) The SAA is just forming and will not have qualify for an automatic bid until 2014-15.  Perhaps this is one of the reasons that the SAA half of the arrangment will not start until then?

2) Playing out existing scheduling arrangements - perhaps some of the UAA/SAA/PAC schools already have full schedules through 2013-14, and cannot begin affiliate play until that season?

3) Related to #2 above, the UAA schools intend to continue playing one another in de facto "nonconference" games.  Perhaps there's no way to fulfill all existing scheduled games, continue playing one another, AND begin a full schedule with their "affiliate" conferences for a few more years?

*Just saw a little more detail on the d3 homepage.  CMU and CWRU will begin affiliate play with the PAC in 2014, while WashU and Chicago will begin with the SAA in 2015.  I

ExTartanPlayer

More thoughts...

The PAC currently has nine football-playing members (CMU and CWRU will be #10 and #11).  Since the UAA schools intend to continue playing a full round-robin with one another, that means that there will be only eight "open" dates on CMU/CWRU schedule for PAC games (since they'll have two games filled with WashU/Chicago).  Looks like the PAC will not be able to go full round-robin in conference play.  Interesting!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SUADC

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on December 13, 2011, 01:17:08 PM
More thoughts...

The PAC currently has nine football-playing members (CMU and CWRU will be #10 and #11).  Since the UAA schools intend to continue playing a full round-robin with one another, that means that there will be only eight "open" dates on CMU/CWRU schedule for PAC games (since they'll have two games filled with WashU/Chicago).  Looks like the PAC will not be able to go full round-robin in conference play.  Interesting!

Do you think they'll try and add another and have a conference title game? That would be awesome.

formerd3db

Thanks for the link Pat and also ex-TartanPlayer for the additional info.  That explains it much better as I was slightly confused.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

ADL70

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 13, 2011, 02:08:32 PM
More details in our story:

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2011/12/uaa-teams-split-into-conferences

Pat,

You missed that the Spartans are returning to the PAC as well.  Both Case and WRU were charter members of the PAC and continued after the federation until joining the NCAC in 1984.  Their best year was the last year 1983 7-1 losing only to CMU.

Question, how will the NCAA determine the regional character of the games?  Will they consider them all in-region?  Or will the UAA games not w/in 200 miles not be in-region?

This spells the end of the Fight for the Fish.

Wonder how the 2013 schedule will be filled for CWRU and CMU?
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: ADL70 on December 13, 2011, 07:11:19 PM
Question, how will the NCAA determine the regional character of the games?  Will they consider them all in-region?  Or will the UAA games not w/in 200 miles not be in-region?

Good question!  I assume the following:

CMU vs. CWRU: in-region (conference game, PAC)
WashU vs. Chicago: in-region (conference game, SAA)
CWRU vs. Chicago is a regional game (both North region teams)
CMU vs. WashU is a regional (both South region teams)

Leaving us...

CMU (South) vs. Chicago (North) will be a non-regional game because they're not within 200 miles and they're no longer conference opponents.  Same for CWRU (North) vs. WashU (South).

The reason that I'm assuming that these won't count as regional games?  Rochester no longer counts as a regional game for the UAA teams, despite being an LL affiliate in football while remaining in the UAA for all other sports.

I assume that the UAA (as a football league) will essentially cease to exist.  Obviously, the schools have stated that they want to continue playing one another (so I suppose a de facto UAA football championship could be awarded, all-conference teams could be named, et cet) but I'm not sure how long that will hold up; I've already noted that the addition of CMU/CWRU brings the PAC to 11 teams, and I'm not sure how crazy the other PAC schools will be about agreeing to play an eight-game league schedule (meaning that they don't play two in-conference opponents per year) just to accommodate CMU/CWRU's wishes to play WashU and Chicago.  They might well agree (it's not any different than the Big Ten, pre-Nebraska, only playing eight conference games), but I think that the UAA is essentially dead as a football league come 2014.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: ADL70 on December 13, 2011, 07:11:19 PM
Wonder how the 2013 schedule will be filled for CWRU and CMU?

Another good question.  They might be able to cobble things together with a number of games vs. PAC schools a year early; presumably some of the PAC schools will have the same scheduling bind because they, too, will have to make room for CMU/CWRU starting in 2014.  They also might be able to grab an NCAC school in Week 1 (although the NCAC is going to full round-robin next year), and perhaps a few of the orphans from the SCAC if need be, for a one-year arrangement.