FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notlongago

Question for WIAC fans (not including WW fans haha): was it good for D3 football, and were you happy to see WW not have their typical success last season?

As an outsider looking in, I loved seeing WW lose multiple games, not because I have a problem w/ WW, but because in my eyes it saves some credibility in the eyes of non D3 fans.

Opinions?

Raider 68

Quote from: notlongago on March 18, 2013, 01:57:17 PM
Question for WIAC fans (not including WW fans haha): was it good for D3 football, and were you happy to see WW not have their typical success last season?

As an outsider looking in, I loved seeing WW lose multiple games, not because I have a problem w/ WW, but because in my eyes it saves some credibility in the eyes of non D3 fans.

Opinions?

Wow, what is this supposed to mean? When a great program has an off year, it adds credibility to
for the non D3 fans. I must be missing something here. ::)
13 time Division III National Champions

Retired Old Rat

Congratulations to the UWEC Bluegolds national championship hockey team.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

retagent

Quote from: Raider 68 on March 18, 2013, 03:22:21 PM

Opinions?

Wow, what is this supposed to mean? When a great program has an off year, it adds credibility to
for the non D3 fans. I must be missing something here. ::)

Not that hard to figure out, but I guess MTU and UWW fans don't see it for obvious reasons. The point is, if only two or three teams dominate a Conference/Region/Nation, it must mean that the others in that group are pieces of crap. Think of another sport, golf, for instance. When Tiger was dominant, most people who were casual fans or, non fans, thought that all the other PGA pros were lacking in talent. That was not true then, and the fact is it's not true in D III, yet an outside observer might be inclined to think that.

badgerwarhawk

Why would an outside "non-DIII fan" even care what happens in DIII let alone whether it was credible?  ???

Not that it matters because I am a WARHAWKS fan but I thought it sucked. :D  However I do not consider the season a failure.  There are a lot of DIII programs that would kill for a 7-3 record.  Yes, it wasn't what we had become used to but it was a far cry from failure.

And the fact that we didn't reach the Stagg Bowl only makes the run Mount Union is on look even more impressive in my eyes.

Recruiting has gone very well.  Our staff is excited about the prospects we are bringing in.  Now we just have to hope that they show up in August.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

Opinions?

I think I understand your point notlongago. Retagent's example of Tiger was good. If there were people that only experienced DIII football through the Stagg Bowl- then they probably did have the wrong impression during the 7 year run. Heck, I think many that follow DIII had the wrong impression. IMO parity is a good thing for sports if it is the result of hard work and talent as opposed to "legislated" in some fashion.
Now lets get back to some UWW dominance.

footballfan413

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on March 19, 2013, 01:12:18 PM
Why would an outside "non-DIII fan" even care what happens in DIII let alone whether it was credible?  ???

Not that it matters because I am a WARHAWKS fan but I thought it sucked. :D  However I do not consider the season a failure.  There are a lot of DIII programs that would kill for a 7-3 record.  Yes, it wasn't what we had become used to but it was a far cry from failure.

And the fact that we didn't reach the Stagg Bowl only makes the run Mount Union is on look even more impressive in my eyes.

Recruiting has gone very well.  Our staff is excited about the prospects we are bringing in.  Now we just have to hope that they show up in August.
Tell me they are excited about their QB prospect or better yet, prospects.......................please.   ;)
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

oshfb

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on March 17, 2013, 03:31:24 PM
This close to spring practice and with a significant amount of recruiting time lost whoever ends up at Austin Peay has got their work cut out for them.  They're going to have to hit the ground running.

If the reports are true and IF it's a job Lance would have wanted it's unfortunate for him.  I certainly won't mind having him around a while longer though.   

"Kirby Cannon, who served as secondary coach at Central Michigan the last three years after spending 11 seasons as head coach at Missouri S&T, has been hired as Austin Peay State University's 18th head football coach."

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2013/03/18/austin-peay-state-university-hires-kirby-cannon-as-new-head-football-coach/
"A GOOD leader makes you feel as though THEY can conquer the world. A GREAT leader makes you feel as though YOU can conquer the world."

HScoach

Now there is a statement I can agree with! ;)   I've thought for years, and have said it on the air quite a few times, that the most impressive thing LK has done isn't the championships.   It's being one of the final 4 teams standing every year since the 1994.  And they made it in 92 and 93 too.  So since 1991 they have been in the Final 4 every year except one.   That's impressive.

Getting back to the original question, I think UWW slipping back in 2012 was half the wish that D3 has been praying for.  The other half would have been MHB recovering one more fumble against Mount, which almost occurred on the last play of the 3rd quarter but the ball rolled right back to the QB.   The casual football fan and the rest of D3 is really, REALLY sick of Mount and Whitewater and I can completely agree with the feeling that D3 football as a whole would be much better off if those dynasties died.   Or at least got sick every once in a while.   If I wasn't involved with one of the dynasties, I would have a really pissy attitude and outlook on the season forecast and D3 as a whole.   

I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: HScoach on March 20, 2013, 01:10:37 PM

Now there is a statement I can agree with! ;)   I've thought for years, and have said it on the air quite a few times, that the most impressive thing LK has done isn't the championships.   It's being one of the final 4 teams standing every year since the 1994.  And they made it in 92 and 93 too.  So since 1991 they have been in the Final 4 every year except one.   That's impressive.

Getting back to the original question, I think UWW slipping back in 2012 was half the wish that D3 has been praying for.  The other half would have been MHB recovering one more fumble against Mount, which almost occurred on the last play of the 3rd quarter but the ball rolled right back to the QB.   The casual football fan and the rest of D3 is really, REALLY sick of Mount and Whitewater and I can completely agree with the feeling that D3 football as a whole would be much better off if those dynasties died.   Or at least got sick every once in a while.   If I wasn't involved with one of the dynasties, I would have a really pissy attitude and outlook on the season forecast and D3 as a whole.   

That run is beyond impressive.  Unprecedented.  And it doesn't appear it will be ending anytime soon.

Larry Kehres and staff do not get nearly the national attention, outside the D3 world, they deserve.  Perhaps Larry will fill the void left by John Gagliardi.  But he better work on his one liners.   8-)

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

bleedpurple

Quote from: footballfan413 on March 20, 2013, 06:40:22 AM

Tell me they are excited about their QB prospect or better yet, prospects.......................please.   ;)

I don't know if there will be a freshman that is a factor this year, but I do know there is a transfer that could be in the mix.  But I wouldn't count Behrendt out. This off season should really help him now that he got his feet wet last year. 

footballfan413

Quote from: bleedpurple on March 21, 2013, 12:19:10 AM

I don't know if there will be a freshman that is a factor this year, but I do know there is a transfer that could be in the mix.  But I wouldn't count Behrendt out. This off season should really help him now that he got his feet wet last year.
Certainly, don't mean to imply anything about the QB/QB's who are waiting in the wings.  Just always hoping for an, "embarrassment of riches," at this position, of course.  We all saw how the season went last year.  What I want is not a freshman who can come in and be a factor but one who has great potential and that has time to develop in the program because there are several worthy candidates ahead of him. If one is a talented transfer, all the better!   I mean, a gal can dream, can't she?    ;)

We are, officially, in mourning at our house, BTW.  No more 54.................. :'( :'( :'(  I know you guys are all disappointed too, I'd imagine.   8-)
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

02 Warhawk

Quote from: footballfan413 on March 21, 2013, 10:16:45 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on March 21, 2013, 12:19:10 AM

Certainly, don't mean to imply anything about the QB/QB's who are waiting in the wings.  Just always hoping for an, "embarrassment of riches," at this position, of course.  We all saw how the season went last year.  What I want is not a freshman who can come in and be a factor but one who has great potential and that has time to develop in the program because there are several worthy candidates ahead of him. If one is a talented transfer, all the better!   I mean, a gal can dream, can't she?    ;)

We are, officially, in mourning at our house, BTW.  No more 54.................. :'( :'( :'(  I know you guys are all disappointed too, I'd imagine.   8-)

Yea, it was sad to see him leave. But he was asking for 2 years/$11 million...that's just ridiculous. He can barely run anymore, his knees are shot.

emma17

ROR said "Larry Kehres and staff do not get nearly the national attention, outside the D3 world, they deserve."  I imagine it's a bit of a vicious cycle- the more Mt wins, the less credit DIII gets- and the less credit Mt gets.
Time to take one for the DIII team Mt.

Urlacher- such a tough call for the Bears. Great in his prime at what he did, tough to watch as he aged and injured. If Hester is gone too... it seems so recent when Urlacher was tackling and Hester was scoring all over the field.

badgerwarhawk

Urlacher....The NFL is a nasty business to begin with but when you turn 35 it gets worse. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."