FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlk

Quote from: GoTech73 on November 17, 2014, 09:02:57 PM

I've been around too, including on the NEWMAC boards...I just usually am a lurker and leave the talking there to you and HN :) Can't hold in my excitement this season though, especially here. I've also enjoyed observing the bball success as well - Coach Anderson was my freshman adviser and then I worked with him as an associate adviser my sophomore year. Incredible man, and I hope Coach Chad is able to build the same sustainability that Coach Anderson has manage to establish on the hardwood. My other random connection to the bball team is that when visiting the 'Tute my senior year of HS, I actually stayed with Billy Johnson and Jimmy Bartolotta. Was pretty excited to then watch him take the world by storm the next few years!

To bring it back to football - has anyone here seen Husson play this year? I'm curious how we'll match up. General consensus seems to give MIT the edge, but I haven't heard much more detail.

I ran into Billy a lot when he was an assistant coach.  He runs mithoops.net.  Fun guy, and we keep in touch.  You should check out my photo site (http://rlk.smugmug.com/Sports) -- lots of MIT sports shots there.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

Pat Coleman

Quote from: wcrosby on November 17, 2014, 07:03:20 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 17, 2014, 05:17:04 PM
Quote from: GoTech73 on November 17, 2014, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 17, 2014, 03:37:33 PM
Quote from: wcrosby on November 17, 2014, 12:23:12 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on November 17, 2014, 10:22:13 AM
We confirmed with Duey Naatz that MIT didn't file to host, hence they are on the road and they matched up these teams b/c of geo proximity.

www.blogtalkradio.com/ith/2014/11/17/in-the-huddlle--liberty-league-football-talk-show

FF to 30 mins and you'll hear this ? answered

Well, I talked to the Athletic Director, and they did file.  But Husson's facilities were considered superior.

Not that Husson's facilities were considered superior, but that MIT's were considered inadequate. The NCAA doesn't give a lower seed a home game unless the higher seed's field cannot host.

Who would make the call on whether a facility is adequate? Since the committee chairman had the wrong information, I'm assuming it's not him? Just seems really weird that he would think MIT didn't apply, and not know that they were ruled inadequate.

I would guess it is determined by the paperwork at the NCAA office, perhaps with the input of coaches on the regional committee. They may have conferred with the soccer committee as well. I don't have a lot of visibility into that process but we've only had a few instances where a facility has been deemed inadequate and the ones that I have seen, I agreed with. For example, Carthage had a beautiful stadium but hadn't yet improved its press box and they were then sent on the road for three rounds about a decade ago.

Honestly, it doesn't necessarily matter to the chair why the school can't host. He just needs to know when constructing the bracket that a specific school can't be at home; whether it's a lack of paperwork or an insufficient facility, it's the same box that gets checked for the committee.

I haven't been to a soccer playoff game in more than a decade but football has some pretty specific requirements in terms of minimum seating because of the number of game day personnel required, plus media, an NCAA observer, game official, etc. If you can't seat everyone needed, then you're not going to host. Mass-Dartmouth didn't host in 2002 because of that either, and we understand Framingham State was supposed to host in 2012 but couldn't.

Do please enjoy the playoffs and don't assume the NCAA has it out for MIT. I can't imagine the NCAA knowing enough about specific schools to have a vendetta.

Gee, if UMass Dartmouth couldn't host, no wonder we couldn't.  Their facility is a Taj Mahal next to ours.

Was it in 2002?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ECoastFootball

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 18, 2014, 11:19:33 AM
Was it in 2002?

While it has more seating capacity than MIT, UMass Dartmouth is no Taj Mahal.

Boxer7806

I'm pretty sure Umass D's stadium was upgraded after 2002. I actually know a couple guys from that team. They got monkey stomped. I forget by whom, I think some upstate New York or Pennsylvania team. 

Boxer7806

LOL, I just looked up those scores for that 2002 season for NEFC teams in the post season. It wasn't pretty.

NCAA Round 1 - Muhlenberg - 56
                        Umass D - 6 (they were 11-0 going into that game)

ECAC - Hartwick - 69
            Curry - 14

ECAC - Cortland St - 30
           Westfield St - 7

ECAC - RPI - 55
           Worcester St - 29 (Looks like by scores the best team in the NEFC that year)

Pat Coleman

And was it the next year that the ECAC changed its bowl matchups based on the New England schools howling about getting crushed? I see Mass-Dartmouth got to play Worcester State in its ECAC game the next year.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GoPerry

Nobody should miss the article in Saturday's Wall Street Journal on MIT's Football Team.  "How MIT Engineered a Football Team Out of Scrap".

Here's the link but it might not work if you're not a subscriber to the Online WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/articles/how-players-at-mit-engineered-a-football-team-1416586648

Enjoy!

Hugenerd

Quote from: GoTech73 on November 17, 2014, 09:36:09 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on November 17, 2014, 09:12:51 PM
Quote from: rlk on November 17, 2014, 08:02:58 PM
Quote from: GoTech73 on November 17, 2014, 04:43:48 PM
As rlk mentioned, giving any appearance of preferential treatment to football would cause issues at MIT from a culture standpoint (and I don't even think that's a bad thing), and the current stadium appears to be suitable for other sports - the 1st round of the Women's Soccer tournament was hosted there just this past weekend.

All in all, MIT's endowment goes to academics and research, and DAPER's small budget is (rightfully) evenly distributed. Thus, fundraising is the only answer (Bob and Eveline Roberts donated the large sum to build the turf field in the summer of '08), and while this is a priority, it hasn't made it to the top yet. To be honest, I hope the correct word gets out, as I think this reality, combined with the exciting season, could in fact prompt some gifts.

And thanks to all the forum vets here for putting up with us super- (over-?) excited playoff first-timers. We're just having a whole lot of fun right now and it can be hard to hold those emotions in sometimes :)

(I've been around here, and more so on the NEWMAC men's basketball board, for a while, so welcome fellow Engineers!)

I don't know offhand what DAPER's (Department of Athletics, Physical Education, and Recreation) budget is, but I'm sure it's not terribly large -- surely not in proportion to the demands on the department. Ultimately, DAPER's goal is to serve the MIT community as a whole, including *all* of the varsity programs and intramurals.

I was basketball team manager in my day (let's just say I'm slow and can't jump -- 6'5" but could never dunk more than a volleyball, and more usually a tennis ball) and I've been enjoying the success of the program lately.  I made the trip to Salem for the basketball Final Four two years ago, and what an experience it was.  Ran into a few friends from my day, and met Jimmy Bartolotta (who was D3 National Player of the Year among other things, not least of which being a really good guy).  I branched out to photographing football this year (I hoped to make some home games last year, but schedules clashed), and it's the same kind of experience.

But I agree with GoTech73 that giving preferential treatment of the kind suggested to any sport would be completely out of character for MIT.  MIT's remarkably egalitarian in a lot of ways inside -- meritocratic, yes, but you don't get any preference because of who you are.  It doesn't matter if you're an Institute Professor (what might be called distinguished professor elsewhere) with 2 Nobels to your name, an undergrad, team coach, janitor, or campus police officer, you're part of the MIT community (the outpouring of support for Officer Sean Collier, who was murdered by those #1 and #2 unprintables who bombed the Boston Marathon, is a testament to that -- they've established an award in his memory for the person or group exemplifiying service, and named a square for him).  That doesn't mean that you can't distinguish yourself by your accomplishments, and Coach Martinovich certainly has (as has, of course, Coach Anderson).  We take care of our own, but part of that is that nobody jumps the line by dint of public acclaim.  I don't think Justin Wallace gets any particular recognition for his football prowess in his electrical engineering and computer science (or Course VI, as we know it) classes, and I would be quite surprised indeed if he expects any.  Recognition from MIT as a whole, sure, but in context.  MIT doesn't have class rank or graduation honors, nor does it give out honorary degrees.

So maybe our football facilities aren't the spiffiest in the land.  The team, like everyone else, makes silk purses from sow's ears.  The difference is that they extract the collagen, invent a process to produce a stronger yet softer fiber than anything that came before from it from that collagen, and then design and build the equipment to turn them out in quantity -- and quality.  And then go out and buy an NFL franchise.

rlk - Serious question from a shlub with an undergrad degree from Swarthmore. How many of the 32 NFL owners are MIT graduates?

John Thain (MIT '77) could have bought a team.............with the money he stole from Merrill Lynch. A $66,000 commode with pure gold legs and a $132,000 rug for his office.

Thank God he is the exception........and not the rule!! My buddies from MIT are super smart AND super people.

Just went through the list - there actually aren't any. Though, I suppose there could be an MIT grad or two holding shares in the Packers' public ownership... :-P

Not an NFL team, but the father of a current student and former basketball player is the owner of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Quote from: rlk on November 17, 2014, 09:37:37 PM
Quote from: GoTech73 on November 17, 2014, 09:02:57 PM

I've been around too, including on the NEWMAC boards...I just usually am a lurker and leave the talking there to you and HN :) Can't hold in my excitement this season though, especially here. I've also enjoyed observing the bball success as well - Coach Anderson was my freshman adviser and then I worked with him as an associate adviser my sophomore year. Incredible man, and I hope Coach Chad is able to build the same sustainability that Coach Anderson has manage to establish on the hardwood. My other random connection to the bball team is that when visiting the 'Tute my senior year of HS, I actually stayed with Billy Johnson and Jimmy Bartolotta. Was pretty excited to then watch him take the world by storm the next few years!

To bring it back to football - has anyone here seen Husson play this year? I'm curious how we'll match up. General consensus seems to give MIT the edge, but I haven't heard much more detail.

I ran into Billy a lot when he was an assistant coach.  He runs mithoops.net.  Fun guy, and we keep in touch.  You should check out my photo site (http://rlk.smugmug.com/Sports) -- lots of MIT sports shots there.

Billy is very knowledgeable about both MIT basketball and football. After graduating, he traveled around and played pro/semi pro ball for a few years.  He does a great job on the hoops blog also. He took it over from me about 4 years ago after I graduated and has come up with great features such as the "Slamblockulator".

What is the line on this week's MIT/Wesley matchup? Any scenario where MIT could pull off the upset?

ExTartanPlayer

Hugenerd (if memory serves me right you are a CMU basketball alum):

As much as I'm pulling for them, no chance MIT wins this weekend. Zero. Still, it will be a great experience!
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

rlk

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 26, 2014, 08:09:59 PM

As much as I'm pulling for them, no chance MIT wins this weekend. Zero. Still, it will be a great experience!

The game is played for 60 minutes on a 120x60 yard (counting the end zones, of course) field.  Not in the blogs, not on the message boards.

Hugenerd

I am a CMU basketball player alum but, more recently, an MIT graduate assistant coach alum. I'd say I'm closer to the MIT program nowadays.

rlk

Quote from: rlk on November 26, 2014, 09:38:05 PM

The game is played for 60 minutes on a 120x60 yard (counting the end zones, of course) field.  Not in the blogs, not on the message boards.

Just to be clear: my point is simply that the game is played on the field by the players, not on the discussion boards by pundits and fans.  I'm well aware that Wesley is a superb team; losing 33-28 to a D1 team (even a lower-middling FCS squad) and being in it until the very end says volumes about their ability.  But saying that it's preordained that team X will win is silly; if that were so, why even bother playing the game?  The game will be played, and I'm sure that the MIT players will relish the opportunity to go up against the very best.  It's exactly the kind of challenge that any true Engineer wants.

wesleydad

Quote from: rlk on November 26, 2014, 11:05:31 PM

Just to be clear: my point is simply that the game is played on the field by the players, not on the discussion boards by pundits and fans.  I'm well aware that Wesley is a superb team; losing 33-28 to a D1 team (even a lower-middling FCS squad) and being in it until the very end says volumes about their ability.  But saying that it's preordained that team X will win is silly; if that were so, why even bother playing the game?  The game will be played, and I'm sure that the MIT players will relish the opportunity to go up against the very best.  It's exactly the kind of challenge that any true Engineer wants.

Anyone has a chance when the game starts.  As Hampden Sydney found out that could end rather quickly.  I expect MIT to show better than Hampden did.  Good luck today and enjoy the experience.  Any team should be proud to make it to the final 16 no matter what others think about the level of teams you play.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: wesleydad on November 29, 2014, 08:40:26 AM
Quote from: rlk on November 26, 2014, 11:05:31 PM

Anyone has a chance when the game starts.  As Hampden Sydney found out that could end rather quickly.  I expect MIT to show better than Hampden did.  Good luck today and enjoy the experience.  Any team should be proud to make it to the final 16 no matter what others think about the level of teams you play.

Just found out there is video for the game against Wesley...awesome!

lewdogg11

28-0 Wesley still in the 1st quarter?  Dear lord...