WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Boy, did I speak to soon.  Titans go on a 41-6 second half run and now lead by 20+ points with about 4 minutes to go, bigtime win over Point.

IWU70

iwu70

Final in Wisconsin, Titans going to 3-0 with an amazing second half run, at one point 41-6 over Point.

Holness 22
Ehresman 11
McGraw 11
Reaber 10

Point with 26 TOs off the Titan pressure, wearing them down, especially in the second half.  Those freshmen are really going to make substantial contributions, be good, and be around the Titan program a long time.

Still, this team a work in progress, but when the games goes at their pace, in their style, this team could be very very good.

IWU70

Gregory Sager

NPU really blew one on Friday night, losing to UW-LaCrosse, 68-66, in a game in which the Vikings owned the lead for 35 minutes, a lead which had been as big as 14 points. The UWL press in the second half had a lot to do with the Eagles crawling back into it, but the main culprit was missed free throws by the Park. After going 47-60 (78%) from the line in their first two games, the Vikings shot an atrocious 11-27 (41%) from the charity stripe on Friday night. All they needed to do was to make a mere half of their free throws and they would've won the game, but they just couldn't do it.

What made things worse was the fact that Carthage stomped UWL last night, 62-41, in a game that was never close. That's a bad note of comparison for NPU.

Liz Rehberger led NPU on Friday night with 16 points and 7 boards, Rachel Torres contributed 11 points, and Annie Shain had 10, while Nicole Kruckman led the Vikings with 10 rebounds.

The Vikings will return to action on Wednesday afternoon at Aurora. It should be a nice pick-me-up for NPU after Friday's mental and emotional disaster.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

A very good test in the home opener at Shirk tonight for the Titan women, now 3-0.  A struggling Whitewater comes to town.  My last look at this edition of the Titans in person before I decamp to warmer climes on the Far Side.  To morning basketball via video streaming from Hong Kong.  When the snow flies, I fly!  I'll return when the Spring flowers bloom and the golf courses re-open!   :)

Wheaton now at #15 in the new D3hoops.com poll.  IWU enters the poll this week at #22, with WW, a former #14 dropping down and out to the ORVs category. 

We'll see if the poll voters have it right, tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving to all CCIW players, coaches, fans and the loyal CCIW chatsters in this room.

IWU70

iwu70

Interesting article, quoting Coach Smith in the Pgraph today, about how the Titans are developing.  She praises the two freshmen, Ehresman and McGraw, esp. McGraw.  Ehresman already starting, as she's a natural PG, good defender and great A:TO ratio, so that let's others in the small Titan line-up play 2 or 3 or even 4.  Strange as this may sound, Ehresman reminds me of freshman Korey Coon.   Seems Mia is preparing for McGraw to be in the starting line-up soon.  Perhaps tonight.  She's quick, jumps well, can play the 3 or 5.  With "run and jump" in full glory, I'm sure Mia will continue to play a 9-10 player rotation to keep things active, engaged and with fresh legs.  Use differing line-ups depending on the situation, the opponent.  Win tonight against WW would be big.  I surely didn't expect a 3-0 start, so things are looking pretty good, rather optimistic so far.  Reaber is one of those players that you either cheer grandly or scratch your head saying "why in the world?"  If she's on, she's hard to stop.  Question is ball and shot judgement.  Overall, I think the most solid, consistent player on the Titan roster is likely to be Holness. 

Two good ones at The Shirk tonight -- 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.  Come on down!!!

Happy Turkey Day to all -- don't let the turkeys get you down.

IWU70

iwumichigander

IWU 72 UWW 75
Only saw the last 4 minutes but this looked like one the Titans should have been able to win.  Rushed things a little at the end.

Madison135

Iwu70. I think the freshman do a good job for the most part. Ehresman I really like but if you have watched the whole game McGraw jumps hard for rebounds but takes a lot of plays off needs to mature a little and in Mia's system has to play defense. As for Reaber I think your wrong on ( what where you thinking ) yes she does stuff wrong like all of them but Mia has her guarding kids twice her size and she playing all 5 spots which is hard. I asked her last time I was at game why doesn't she shoot from outside and she said Mia tells her to drive all the time. But some of her drives she shouldn't do as for passing she sees the court a lot better then most of them and her passes are hard and fast.  If the would have slowed down the last minute the would have won.

Gregory Sager

As expected, NPU flattened Aurora this afternoon out in the western suburbs, 73-46. The Vikings were up by 23 at the intermission and basically just mailed in the second half, with mostly reserves playing. Ten of the eleven Vikings who suited up played double-figure minutes, with only two of them playing more than 20 minutes -- and they stayed in that long only because a couple of injuries have left NPU shorthanded in the backcourt.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Clearly a game IWU should have won.  Issues of game management and FT shooting doomed the Titans.  Had a lead of 6 with two minutes or so to go.  Part of the process of a young team maturing, knowing how to finish games.  Going 12-32 from the line will not win you many games, also being hugely out-rebounded, yet still being close to winning.  Hope Beoletto's injury is not serious, but doesn't look good.  I'm sure Mia will take from this game and help her team develop, learn how to finish games.  Surely, most players will be on the FT line practicing many hours in the next few weeks.  Gotta clean that up quickly.

Still optimistic about the season.  This team has a lot of talent and speed and plays very hard.  The freshmen will develop and learn very fast now playing at the CCIW varsity level.  Many young players.  All will be veterans, more seasoned very soon now.

Keeping going TITANS -- a bright season ahead.

GO TITANS!

IWU'70

iwu70

Wow, always delighted to see the Titans prove my guesstimations and speculations correct.  Big win for the IWU women tonight over #6 DePauw.  Ehresman had her most outstanding game as a Titan, proving she is learning very very fast.  Titans now play #8 Wash U for the championship of the weekend tournament in Jacksonville, IL.  The Titans sorted out the FT shooting percentage problem right away and must have played one heck of a game to take down DP.  Titans now 4-1 on the new campaign.

GO GREEN, GO TITANS.  Keep it rolling vs. Wash U.

Gregory Sager

North Park 76
Eureka 56

Annie Shain: 17 pts, 6 rebs, 4 stls
Nikki Przybyslawski: 13 pts, 7:1 a:to
Nicole Kruckman: 12 pts, 10 rebs
Liz Rehberger: 11 pts

This was a relatively routine win for NPU. The Red Devils managed to hang around for awhile, but a 12-0 run in the middle of the second half basically put them away for good. NPU improves to 4-1 on the season while Eureka drops to 2-2.

iwu70

Titans blown out by Wash U in the championship game of the tourney in Jacksonville.  Seems they ran out of gas in the second half, outscored like 46-21 or some such.  Still, Titans at 4-2 with a good win over DePauw, a pretty good start.  I'm still hoping for 7-4 or 8-3 in the pre-CCIW phase.  Very tough schedule, still some pretty tough games to come.  They are a very young, fast-developing team that has a very high bar for growth.  The two freshmen playing very very well so far.  Haven't heard about the injury to Beoletto as yet.

Good luck TITANS -- keep it going, keep improving.

IWU70

Madison135

They are very fast and young. Beoletto has a torn acl out for year. Looks like they did run out of gas but wash u is a very big team. Girls seem to be getting adjusted to each other. I am hoping for 8-3 that would be nice way to start conference.

gordonmann

I watched portions of the Wash U/IWU game on Illinois College's streaming video. It was a little hard to follow because the video wasn't high resolution and there was no announcer.  So it was difficult to determine which player had the ball until I started to memorize hair styles, body types, etc. Eventually they turned on the ambient sound so I could sort of hear the PA announcer call out the players at the foul line, after they scored, etc.

For the portions I watched, IWU played Wash U. even.  They harrassed Wash U. with their pressure, scored off the fast break on turnovers and made really tough shots in the half court game against a good (and tall) defense.  Their energy was good and they have some players with nice shooting touch.

I was struck by how many difficult shots IWU takes in the halfcourt offense. Mid-range jumpers that are fade aways or contested shots, difficult layups or shots around the rim from a player leaping around low post defenders, etc.  It seemed like the only truly open looks were three pointers. That could be a byproduct of playing a really good team that defends well and has good size (or good size as best I can tell with that resolution of video).

All in all, I was impressed by IWU even with the margin of defeat.  Any team that doesn't have a couple good ball handlers will have a really tough time against them, regardless of how good their halfcourt offense is.

Gregory Sager

Final from Dubuque:

North Park 76
Dubuque 65

Liz Rehberger: 17 pts
Nikki Przybyslawski: 16 pts
Shaylee Sloan: 12 pts, 9 rebs
Rachel Torres: 12 pts, 6 rebs, 4 stls
Amani Davis: 11 pts
Soly Roman: 7 rebs

North Park improves to 5-1 with a solid road win over an aggressive Spartans team that fell to 4-2. NPU got hot early in the second half and pushed the lead out to as many as 19, but the Spartans made a late run to cut it to as little as four before the Vikings righted the ship, protecting the ball well and making their free throws down the stretch. NPU did a very nice job in transition, as Nikki Przybyslawski and Rachel Torres did a good job of pushing the ball up the floor. Rebounding remains a concern for the Park, as, even though the two teams finished with 42 boards apiece, the midrange boards invariably went to the Spartans, especially on their offensive end, as they seemed to do a better job of reading the caroms and making the effort to get there. That's what sparked their comeback attempt.

That aside, it was a strong effort by the Vikings on the road tonight, and this represents their best win of the young season.