BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwunder

From Carthage website:
Injury Report:  Third baseman Cody Phelps, third on the team in batting at .378, broke his thumb playing first base in the second game of Tuesday's doubleheader versus Wheaton College (Ill.) and will miss the rest of the season...pitcher Nate Odahl injured an elbow during the Tucson trip and remains unavailable.  Odahl could return for the final week of the season. 

Ouch and ouch.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: mwunder on April 08, 2019, 09:16:31 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 07, 2019, 03:55:24 PM
North Central @ North Park has been pushed back to 5:30 this afternoon.

Caught a little of this game on the video feed prior to the lightning delay.  Marinec's bomb in the first was a blast that would have gotten out of anyplace not named the Polo Grounds...Geesh!

People think that Holmgren is a bandbox because of the short right-field porch, but you have to hit it a long way to get it out in center. Marinec's homer traveled about 420 feet or so. He also hit a deep two-run triple to center in the ninth to add on to NCC's big lead, and of course he hit the walk-off homer in Saturday's nightcap. He wore out NPU pitching this weekend -- which I suppose is only fair, since his two throwing errors in Saturday's opener proved fatal to the Cardinals.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Quote from: mwunder on April 08, 2019, 09:21:42 AM
From Carthage website:
Injury Report:  Third baseman Cody Phelps, third on the team in batting at .378, broke his thumb playing first base in the second game of Tuesday's doubleheader versus Wheaton College (Ill.) and will miss the rest of the season...pitcher Nate Odahl injured an elbow during the Tucson trip and remains unavailable.  Odahl could return for the final week of the season. 

Ouch and ouch.

Those are both devastating injuries to the program this year.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

With no explanation (and no details) the IWU game (hosting NPU) has been moved from Horenberger Field to the Corn Crib in north Normal, which apparently is not equipped for any sort of webcasting.  So I guess I'm blacked-out until the IWU website posts about the game. :(

Since I left the twin cities almost 50 years ago, I have no idea what the Corn Crib even is.  Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated (about the Corn Crib, why the move, or especially about the game).

mr_b

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 10, 2019, 05:28:14 PM
With no explanation (and no details) the IWU game (hosting NPU) has been moved from Horenberger Field to the Corn Crib in north Normal, which apparently is not equipped for any sort of webcasting.  So I guess I'm blacked-out until the IWU website posts about the game. :(

Since I left the twin cities almost 50 years ago, I have no idea what the Corn Crib even is.  Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated (about the Corn Crib, why the move, or especially about the game).
The IWU website notes poor field conditions at Horenberger.  If you go to the main athletics website menu and hover over "baseball," there is a link to the Twitter feed.  In the 2nd the gamer is tied at 1-1.

Mr. Ypsi

IWU 8, NPU 7.

YIKES!  Errors: NPU 0, IWU 5!!

IWU is scheduled to host Monmouth in a non-con game tomorrow at Horenberger.  If the field was unplayable today, I doubt 24 hours is gonna change much.  I have been unable to find if the game is at Horenberger, at Corn Crib, or has simply been cancelled.  It may well just get rained out anyway. ;)

Mr. Ypsi

The Monmouth @ IWU game was indeed rained out, but unlike three early season non-con games is listed as postponed, rather than cancelled.  The schools are only maybe 75 miles apart (and almost entirely by I-74), so a make-up is entirely possible.

Gregory Sager

In what might be the ultimate man-bites-dog story of the baseball season thus far, Carroll actually shut out a CCIW opponent tonight. The Pioneers edged Millikin down in Decatur, 1-0, as Cameron Godinsky -- he of the 7.58 ERA -- went the distance and notched a five-hit shutout win over the Big Blue.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

North Park went on the road and worked out an ugly win over Wheaton tonight at windy Pfund Field. Wheaton got back into the game in the bottom of the eighth with a three-run homer and put the first two men aboard in the bottom of the ninth, but at that point NPU closer Andy Robbins came in and shut the door, inducing a flyout and a pair of swinging strikeouts to end the game.

The middle of the order had a solid night for the Park, as Anthony DiNardo led the way by going 3-6 with a double and a homer and 5 RBI. Ranko Stevanovic went 2-5 with 3 RBI, and Jake Reinhardt went 3-4 with a pair of RBI.

Wheaton committed five errors, but even if the hosts had fielded cleanly it wouldn't have mattered; only three of NPU's runs were unearned.

The two teams will meet tomorrow at Holmgren for a doubleheader.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 12, 2019, 10:07:21 PM
In what might be the ultimate man-bites-dog story of the baseball season thus far, Carroll actually shut out a CCIW opponent tonight. The Pioneers edged Millikin down in Decatur, 1-0, as Cameron Godinsky -- he of the 7.58 ERA -- went the distance and notched a five-hit shutout win over the Big Blue.

WOW - baseball is indeed a strange game!  Just last weekend, IWU (NOT a particularly potent offensive team) scored 41 runs in three games against the Pios! ;)  Getting their first conference win by beating IWU 13-12 did not surprise me; getting their second win by a 1-0 score is stunning! :o

Gregory Sager

Well, the bandbox that Carroll plays in has something to do with the tavern-league-softball scores that get posted in games played there. But even on the road, Carroll's pitching tends to get knocked around.

Gregory Sager

North Park split with Wheaton today to take the season series from the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance. Wheaton won the first game, 11-1, and the Park came back to take game two by a score of 8-4.

Gregory Sager

In other games, North Central swept Elmhurst at Butterfield Park, Millikin swept a pair from Carroll in Decatur -- the Big Blue won the series two out of three, but held the Pioneers to only three runs for the entire series -- and Carthage blew a pair of big ninth-inning leads to lose in walkoff fashion twice to Augie in Moline. In game one the Red Men muffed a 14-11 lead to lose 15-14, a game in which the Red Men also held 5-0 and 9-5 leads, and in game two it was a 7-4 lead that they threw away to lose 8-7, despite five Augustana errors. Ouch!

That ain't good for the league, as Augie (and, to a lesser extent, North Central) are achieving separation at the top of the standings.

markerickson

When was the last time Augie won a conference title in baseball?
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.