MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GU1999

I just looked at the SLIAC website and note that tomorrows game between GU and Westminister has been postponed. Winter storm related, I presume based on the forecast. Below is my quick thoughts on a game that will happen at a date to be determined.

GU at Westminster:

This will be GU's toughest conference game to date.  The teams split in the regular season last year, with GU winning in the Conference Tournament semifinals.   Two key areas to watch will be whether or not GU can turn them over and who wins on the boards. 

Turnovers: WU leads the league at just over 10 turnovers a game.  GU is now averaging 38+ forced per game in league play.  Something will have to give.  Last year, GU lost the turnover battle in two of three games.   

Rebounding: Neither GU nor WU are statistically strong rebounding teams with both having negative margins on the season.  However, last year GU outrebounded Westminster substantially in two of three games and those were the two that GU won.

Game One - GU wins by 6 (GU +20 on the boards, and -6 on TO)
Game Two - Westminster wins by 6 (WU +4 on the boards and  -7 on TO)
Game Three - GU wins by 13 (GU +14 on the boards and -1 on TO) 

I am looking for a very tight game tomorrow.  Last years personnel for Westmin is very similar, but for the Tabb addition and the Cochran subtraction.  As Tabb leads the team this year in Pts and Rebs its hard to think that they are not a better team.

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on January 11, 2019, 04:48:24 AM
GREEK... I HIGHLY recommend you get over to Eureka for EC-GC... GUARANTEED ENTERTAINMENT

Though be careful on the roads...not sure when and where that snow is supposed to hit...

oops... just realized you are not talking about this weekend....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

As GU said, the Greenville at Westminster game scheduled for tomorrow is postponed

ALSO POSTPONED already, per the SLIAC.org board is:
Principia at Webster
and
Iowa Wesleyan at Fontbonne

That leaves BC at Spalding and Mac at Eureka still on
The Mac at Eureka game makes sense, it seems to be north of storm's path

Blackburn at Spalding would seem iffy... perhaps BC will travel early Friday to beat the storm... but it seems they might hit tough travel on the way back...

y_jack_lok

^^^ The leading edge of the storm appears to reach Carlinville and Jacksonville in a few hours and likely Eureka no later than 10 p.m. Would seem wise to me to postpone the other two games as well.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 11, 2019, 03:49:06 PM
^^^ The leading edge of the storm appears to reach Carlinville and Jacksonville in a few hours and likely Eureka no later than 10 p.m. Would seem wise to me to postpone the other two games as well.

MacMurray - Eureka now showing as Sunday game on SLIAC.org

Leaves only BC- Spalding still showing on for tomorrow.....
I would think BC would normally travel Friday, overnight in Louisville, play Saturday afternoon, travel home afterwards... question is could they beat the storm....

hopefan

Reschedule dates

MacMurray - Eureka      Jan 13   8:00

IWU at Fontbonne     Jan 21   3:00

Prin at Webster    not yet announced

Greenville at Westmin    Jan 21   3:00

still see Blackburn vs Spalding as on for today

hopefan

With all of the snow postponements, I won't do a hopefan Player of the Week based on only one game date... I'll lump this week's game with next weeks activities... ;) ;)

Greek Tragedy

This site has Principia/Webster game cancelled. Seems strange since it's a conference game. Maybe they just have that since it hasn't been rescheduled?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 12, 2019, 08:51:32 PM
This site has Principia/Webster game cancelled. Seems strange since it's a conference game. Maybe they just have that since it hasn't been rescheduled?

Per Wester site:

As of this time, there has been no make-up date for the games, according to Webster Director of Athletics Scott Kilgallon.

"The winter storm is expected to start this afternoon wasn't going to make it feasible for us to play our home basketball doubleheader on Saturday, so we have decided to postpone the games and reschedule them for later this season," Kilgallon said Friday morning.

hopefan

Spalding nips Blackburn at Spalding in what could be a critical game.... This may force Blackburn into a must win situation when they meet at Blackburn in February... could be these two vying for the 4th Conference tourney spot...if they split, and finish tied, Blackburn's win over Webster could be the determining factor...

Spalding seems to be settling down to a regular lineup and rotation, and it's helping... if Ellis, Bendinfeld and Montgomery all see significant minutes, they're not too bad....... early in the season when I saw them, I wouldn't have thought they'd reach 5 conference wins... they're already at that with 9 games left to play!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 12, 2019, 08:51:32 PM

Some people just aren't smart about the difference between postponed and cancelled when they log into the Presto system and check a box. I figured the SLIAC office would have noticed and made a change by now, but apparently not.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The risk with basketball (and other sports) season? Weather. One or two storms can throw a monkey wrench into a well thought out schedule and travel plans.

The same can be said about trying to play with within a conference. Programs know each other so well that games can suddenly become rockier than anyone thought looking at the matchup on paper.

On Sunday's Hoopsville, Dave will take a look at the "stormy weather" that both Mother Nature and conference schedules seem to have brought us. From postponements and travel challenges to head-scratching results and season-turning outcomes.

Tonight's highlights include a Williams men's team off to the best start in program history, a DeSales women's program that is blowing the doors off of games, and a Greenville men's squad that seems to have mastered the "System" pretty darn fast.

We will also debut the "NABC Coach's Corner" with a former DIII coach, turned administrator. Schreiner Athletics Director Bill Raleigh talks about his former days coaching and why being an athletic director is what drives him now. He also talks about his work on the NCAA Basketball Rules Committee and his continued work with the NABC in support of Division III.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's episode hits the air at 7:00 p.m. ET and can be watched here: http://bit.ly/2VRm3Lh (or via Facebook Live & Periscope simulcasts).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Kevin App, No. 3 Williams men's head coach
- Morgan Birmelin, No. 22 DeSales women's senior guard
- Bill Raleigh, Schreiner Athletics Director (NABC Coach's Corner)
- George Barber, Greenville men's coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com lead columnist

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 13, 2019, 10:12:47 PM
http://www.eurekareddevils.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/boxscores/20190113_ki21.xml?view=boxscore

Wow. Is that a misprint or something? That's crazy. 74-26 at halftime? Really? Wow!

Fortunately Eureka took their foot off the gas in the 2nd half, final 102-80... 0 for 12 from 3's in the 2nd half kept their score down...Dang, what do you say to your team down 48 at half?  Frustrating season for Eureka thus far, guess they took it out on Mac in the first half.....I turned it off at 24-4 after a little more than 5 minutes.

Gregory Sager

"Took their foot off the gas" is putting it lightly. MacMurray outscored Eureka by a score of 54-28 in the second half.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell