FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustySJU

Expect some changes for Saturday's tilt vs UST.... word leaking out of Collegeville.

What the heck, I think we all know what the outcome will be Saturday which unfortunately may keep some SJU fans from attending.

On the other hand folks avoided the trip to Salem in '00 and '03 cuz they were anticipating a simliar result.  Glad I bought tickets to both events as they were memorable.

Count on this Johnnie fan being present Saturday on Summit.

Developing.....
The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on September 28, 2011, 07:44:20 PM
I have a random question for you guys.

So last night the school I work at had this speaker on positive coaching, sportsmanship etc (surburban Boston).  The speaker told t
his story about a high school in Minnesota (Red Wing) and how they played a state championship in football against (Pius XX?) and played without any coaches for some reason or another.  The speaker says Red Wing won the game by calling their own plays, etc and won the state championship. 

So today I start to look on the internet and can't find anything on the subject.  Just seems like a wierd story and a quick check shows that Red Wing hasn't won any state champioinships in anything besides boys hockey in 1997 and some womens sports (golf and swimming).

I dunno, the story just seemed too wierd to make up for a guy who goes around the country speaking about things like this.  He was from California.

I live 30 miles from Red Wing.   Never before heard that story.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

BDB

Quote from: DuffMan on September 28, 2011, 06:47:06 PM
Quote from: USTBench on September 28, 2011, 05:25:15 PM
You can drink at Bethel? Interesting.

Actually, I don't think we've ever been hassled for booze when tailgating at Bethel.  Not what you'd think, I know!

Just don't dance. Now that could get you in trouble!

BDB

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on September 28, 2011, 09:11:18 PM

So last night the school I work at had this speaker on positive coaching, sportsmanship etc (surburban Boston).  The speaker told t
his story about a high school in Minnesota (Red Wing) and how they played a state championship in football against (Pius XX?) and played without any coaches for some reason or another.  The speaker says Red Wing won the game by calling their own plays, etc and won the state championship. 

So today I start to look on the internet and can't find anything on the subject.  Just seems like a wierd story and a quick check shows that Red Wing hasn't won any state champioinships in anything besides boys hockey in 1997 and some womens sports (golf and swimming).

I dunno, the story just seemed too wierd to make up for a guy who goes around the country speaking about things like this.  He was from California.

I live 30 miles from Red Wing.   Never before heard that story.

Me either. Is there a Pius XX? Better put a stop payment on that appearance check.

And, no high school team in this day and age would get on the field without a coach. Way too liable. Maybe it was 1909 or something. Either way, stop payment.

Edit: Special +k to section105 for the Wonka Red Wing sports guy reference. WTHeck, all around cuz they are free and my Blue Devils host Eau Claire this week so I need the good vibe.

Probably Wonka would know. Ornery as he was is it's too bad. The guy knew his facts. Last I heard he was writing for the Rochester paper. I always have said that Sid should retire and give a guy like him the chance.

He's banned for life here, me thinks.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 28, 2011, 08:53:06 PM

So last night the school I work at had this speaker on positive coaching, sportsmanship etc (surburban Boston).  The speaker told this story about a high school in Minnesota (Red Wing) and how they played a state championship in football against (Pius XX?) and played without any coaches for some reason or another.  The speaker says Red Wing won the game by calling their own plays, etc and won the state championship. 

Sounds like something Wonka would know....he used to be a sports reporter at their (Red Wing) local newspaper.
The important thing would be the year.... was it in the early part of the 20th century (circa 1900-1920)??

He made it sound like this football game happened within the last couple years.  His name is Jim Perry.  He had a few other stories that made me kind of shake my head.  He said that when he was at USC the soccer goalie got hurt and the soccer coach saw him (Perry) running around the track and asked him to play goalie for 3 games (Perry said he had never played soccer before).  The coach yelled out the word "Mark" (which I guess is some soccer team) and Perry thought the coach was actually calling for someone named "mark".  It was after this story that I decided he was making things up.  Anyway, this was the guy:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/stories/PE_News_Local_W_wperry07.46830d1.html

faunch

Quote from: USTBench on September 26, 2011, 04:58:24 PM

What would a win over SJU mean for Ramler should Gags ride off into the sunset? Or has the heir apparent in-house already been decided?

I'm told that a couple years ago when SJU was replacing Harrington as hockey coach John was questioning why they had put together a search committee to find a new coach.  I'm even told that John asked why the old coach couldn't just pick the new coach.  Gee...I wonder who he would like to appoint as his replacement? 
What does that tell ya?  As great and successful as John has been it would appear he is lacking a little perspective.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

BDB

Utes, quite an interesting story about this Jim Perry guy. The term "mark" in soccer means get up on the guy with the ball, or if just called out by the coach, the player on the other team you are most near. Or the coach might say "Jim, mark 16" which means "Jim" should close in on the other teams' #16. It's a defense call.
This guy sounds highly suspicious.  :P

DustySJU

Rojo Caliente...

RedHotBennie makes her debut on www.JohnnieFootball.com

Developing....
The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com

hazzben

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on September 28, 2011, 09:19:46 PM

Actually, I don't think we've ever been hassled for booze when tailgating at Bethel.  Not what you'd think, I know!

Actually, that's no longer the case

BDB

Quote from: hazzben on September 28, 2011, 10:39:00 PM
Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on September 28, 2011, 09:19:46 PM

Actually, that's no longer the case

Dammit! Another joke I have to throw in the trash bin.

Oh well, recycled enough I guess.  ;D

BDB

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on September 28, 2011, 10:01:33 PM

So last night the school I work at had this speaker on positive coaching, sportsmanship etc (surburban Boston).  The speaker told this story about a high school in Minnesota (Red Wing) and how they played a state championship in football against (Pius XX?) and played without any coaches for some reason or another.  The speaker says Red Wing won the game by calling their own plays, etc and won the state championship. 

Sounds like something Wonka would know....he used to be a sports reporter at their (Red Wing) local newspaper.
The important thing would be the year.... was it in the early part of the 20th century (circa 1900-1920)??

He made it sound like this football game happened within the last couple years.  His name is Jim Perry.  He had a few other stories that made me kind of shake my head.  He said that when he was at USC the soccer goalie got hurt and the soccer coach saw him (Perry) running around the track and asked him to play goalie for 3 games (Perry said he had never played soccer before).  The coach yelled out the word "Mark" (which I guess is some soccer team) and Perry thought the coach was actually calling for someone named "mark".  It was after this story that I decided he was making things up.  Anyway, this was the guy:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/stories/PE_News_Local_W_wperry07.46830d1.html

One other thought why your school needs to stop payment, Utes:

USC doesn't have a back up goalie or 3 of them? They need to ask some guy running around the track to play goalie for a D1 soccer team?

Con artist, at work. Stop payment.

218Tommie

Bench, I'd say Plums over Tiff's but thats just personal opinion. Also about some of the injury questions for the Tommies, Inglehart is hurt, not down on the depth chart, and the Linebacking corps will be at full strength this weekend. Figured I could finally post after sitting here reading the posts since I stopped playing.

RussellT22

Quote from: faunch on September 28, 2011, 10:03:41 PM
Quote from: USTBench on September 26, 2011, 04:58:24 PM

What would a win over SJU mean for Ramler should Gags ride off into the sunset? Or has the heir apparent in-house already been decided?

I'm told that a couple years ago when SJU was replacing Harrington as hockey coach John was questioning why they had put together a search committee to find a new coach.  I'm even told that John asked why the old coach couldn't just pick the new coach.  Gee...I wonder who he would like to appoint as his replacement? 
What does that tell ya?  As great and successful as John has been it would appear he is lacking a little perspective.

I have a hard time believing that story considering I was on the staff at that time. Who would John say that to and who is your source? I can imagine him saying that tongue in cheek, but not being completely serious with either Tom Stock or another member of the athletic department.

OldAuggie

Bench -
I am happy to hear that you hate me. Let the hate out brother.

More recognition for the great effort by the Auggies last week:

Defensive Back Tyler Phillips - D3football Team of the Week:

http://www.d3football.com/awards/tow/2011/week4

CB Tyler Phillips, Sr., Augsburg
Phillips had a career-high 13 tackles, nine solo, leading the Augsburg defense. It's the second time Phillips has recorded double-digit tackle totals in a game in his career. Phillips was part of a defense that held the Johnnie offense to just 93 net rushing yards, the first time the Johnnies had been held under 100 rushing yards this season. Phillips had two tackles for loss, had a forced fumble and broke up a pass.

I hope the Johnnies make some adjusments this week. I - Believe - the Tommies are going down.

MIAC champions 1928, 1997

Jonny Utah

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on September 28, 2011, 11:09:25 PM
Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on September 28, 2011, 10:01:33 PM

One other thought why your school needs to stop payment, Utes:

USC doesn't have a back up goalie or 3 of them? They need to ask some guy running around the track to play goalie for a D1 soccer team?

Con artist, at work. Stop payment.

Yea but the guy was like 70 and works for a national company that does this kind of stuff.  I could also care less about the schools money.  Wierd stories though.