FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SagatagSam

Quote from: sjusection105 on May 18, 2020, 09:26:13 AM
Quote from: faunch on May 18, 2020, 09:16:02 AM
Quote from: sjusection105 on May 18, 2020, 05:41:18 AM
Quote from: faunch on May 17, 2020, 11:21:19 PM
This might be construed as sacrilage but imagine if Gary and Dummo had taken over in about 2005?
Dummo would have been a player/coach at that point..... ;)
When did he graduate?
He was a Soph on the 2003 Championship team, so I would say spring 2006. Duffman could confirm that my aging brain is correct....... ???

You're right, Dumo graduated in 2006.
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

OzJohnnie

Notre Dame declared school open and on campus this fall.  The are starting two weeks sooner than originally planned, forego a fall break and end the semester at Thanksgiving for a long winter break.
[  

jknezek

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 19, 2020, 06:25:23 AM
Notre Dame declared school open and on campus this fall.  The are starting two weeks sooner than originally planned, forego a fall break and end the semester at Thanksgiving for a long winter break.

W&L's president was interviewed a week ago on CNBC and mentioned this idea as well. The goal is to keep the students in the bubble and hopefully finish the semester before any possible major re-emergence. I think there is a lot to recommend this plan for students, but when looked at through the prism of inter-collegiate sports, it doesn't look so good. The whole point of this idea is to limit contact with anyone outside the bubble, that's why there is no break. You don't want to send the students home or out to a vacation destination where contacts will increase. If that is your working hypothesis, I'm not sure how you justify sending sports teams from one place to another. But I'm sure someone will come up with a justification for it...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/kelly-evans-this-college-campus-will-be-open-in-the-fall.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/kelly-evans-this-college-campus-will-be-open-in-the-fall.html

art76

Quote from: jknezek on May 19, 2020, 08:50:35 AM

W&L's president was interviewed a week ago on CNBC and mentioned this idea as well. The goal is to keep the students in the bubble and hopefully finish the semester before any possible major re-emergence. I think there is a lot to recommend this plan for students, but when looked at through the prism of inter-collegiate sports, it doesn't look so good. The whole point of this idea is to limit contact with anyone outside the bubble, that's why there is no break. You don't want to send the students home or out to a vacation destination where contacts will increase. If that is your working hypothesis, I'm not sure how you justify sending sports teams from one place to another. But I'm sure someone will come up with a justification for it...

Interesting hypothesis. One has to wonder how that affects our MIAC schools that have a fair number of off-campus housing options, including living at home and commuting. Or even internships off-campus that require students to be out in the community. (Thinking specifically of nursing and pre-med students that would be right smack dab in the middle of the "front lines", as it were.) Obviously, many folks are wrestling with the whole gamut of possibilities for bringing students back on to campuses.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

jamtod

Quote from: art76 on May 19, 2020, 09:29:15 AM
Quote from: jknezek on May 19, 2020, 08:50:35 AM

Interesting hypothesis. One has to wonder how that affects our MIAC schools that have a fair number of off-campus housing options, including living at home and commuting. Or even internships off-campus that require students to be out in the community. (Thinking specifically of nursing and pre-med students that would be right smack dab in the middle of the "front lines", as it were.) Obviously, many folks are wrestling with the whole gamut of possibilities for bringing students back on to campuses.

Going back on campus, they are acknowledging that there is a lot they won't be able to control, but this seems something that can be (not easily) controlled to some degree.

SagatagSam

I'm thinking it's going to be interesting to see how much changes between now and late-August. As there is no on-field competition, perhaps a prediction game among us board dwellers is in order. I guess I'm just interested in seeing how everyone answers now and seeing how well the predictions age in a month, two months, six months, etc.

Round 1:

At or above 98% of NCAA schools (all levels) will play college football games in front of full stadiums with no notable social distancing measures on or before _____[DATE]___________.

[The reason I say 98% and not "all" is that I don't want someone to be able to say, "Well, Macalester and [insert other outliers here] have decided not to play football until 2026," and allow a tiny group of outlier schools to disrupt the game on what amounts to be a technicality when it is obvious the overwhelming majority of schools are "back to normal." Just to give some perspective, there are about 545 (someone check my math) schools that play NCAA football, so 98% means there can only be about 11 outliers across all divisions.]
Sing us a song tonight

SagatagSam

Quote from: SagatagSam on May 19, 2020, 11:54:07 AM
Round 1:

At or above 98% of NCAA schools (all levels) will play college football games in front of full stadiums with no notable social distancing measures on or before _____[DATE]___________.

Since I proposed the game, I'll go first and offer a bold prediction of October 1, 2020.

The reason being is that I think the media narrative shift from "flatten the curve" to "we need to find a vaccine/cure" is losing steam quickly. The economic and social ruin that will unfold over the summer months will drive enough people to say, "Screw this, I want to live my life, and I accept the [what appears to be rapidly decreasing] risks of doing so." Save for a few schools with massive endowments to burn, college football is back fully by October 1 (maybe even before then). Sure, there are states and university systems that have indicated they will stay closed for much longer, but those plans are always subject to change, and eventually political pressure/public opinion will reach critical mass and force even the most resistant schools to open.
Sing us a song tonight

jknezek

At 98% I think you are looking at Fall 2021 for full stadiums. At 75% or more playing but not in front of fans or playing in front of socially distanced fans, I'd say Oct 1, 2020. 

wally_wabash

The fine print is important:
The university said it is ready to "alter plans should a serious outbreak occur, or should it be unable to acquire what is needed for testing."

That's a heckuva hedge right there.  And not one that many, many other schools can afford to make.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jamtod

Quote from: SagatagSam on May 19, 2020, 11:55:31 AM
Round 1:

Since I proposed the game, I'll go first and offer a bold prediction of October 1, 2020.

The reason being is that I think the media narrative shift from "flatten the curve" to "we need to find a vaccine/cure" is losing steam quickly. The economic and social ruin that will unfold over the summer months will drive enough people to say, "Screw this, I want to live my life, and I accept the [what appears to be rapidly decreasing] risks of doing so." Save for a few schools with massive endowments to burn, college football is back fully by October 1 (maybe even before then). Sure, there are states and university systems that have indicated they will stay closed for much longer, but those plans are always subject to change, and eventually political pressure/public opinion will reach critical mass and force even the most resistant schools to open.

Not a chance.
Fall 2021 before anywhere near that level of schools resumes without any social distancing measures.
Losing steam while numbers (lagging indicator) are going down due to previous action is one thing. If (I think it will happen, but won't guarantee it and obviously don't desire it) we have a second wave, either this summer or this fall as is common with past pandemics, those major precautions (aside from the minor ones which I think will happen for some time: isolating the vulnerable to some degree, mask wearing, general distancing, no large events) are going to snap right back into place.

OzJohnnie

I'm thinking it's going to be interesting to see how much changes between now and late-August. As there is no on-field competition, perhaps a prediction game among us board dwellers is in order. I guess I'm just interested in seeing how everyone answers now and seeing how well the predictions age in a month, two months, six months, etc.

Round 1:

[The reason I say 98% and not "all" is that I don't want someone to be able to say, "Well, Macalester and [insert other outliers here] have decided not to play football until 2026," and allow a tiny group of outlier schools to disrupt the game on what amounts to be a technicality when it is obvious the overwhelming majority of schools are "back to normal." Just to give some perspective, there are about 545 (someone check my math) schools that play NCAA football, so 98% means there can only be about 11 outliers across all divisions.]

I've got some Hawthorn gear to share, Sam, as the prize if you'll run the competition.
[  

OzJohnnie

Quote from: wally_wabash on May 19, 2020, 01:04:03 PM

The university said it is ready to "alter plans should a serious outbreak occur, or should it be unable to acquire what is needed for testing."

That's a heckuva hedge right there.  And not one that many, many other schools can afford to make.

"This is the plan unless circumstances change" isn't too unusual, is it?  That is the normally unstated rule for every plan ever created for anything, no?
[  

wally_wabash

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 19, 2020, 01:58:35 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on May 19, 2020, 01:04:03 PM

"This is the plan unless circumstances change" isn't too unusual, is it?  That is the normally unstated rule for every plan ever created for anything, no?

I think it is when the plan isn't entirely contingent on circumstances changing.  ND and other schools gravitating toward this August-Thanksgiving fall term are banking on a lot of things changing and going right in the next eight-ten weeks in order to realize these plans.  The infrastructure they need to pull this off doesn't exist currently. 

But again, ND can afford a futures bet on all of this panning out exactly the way they've plotted.  Far more schools, including a wide swath of our D-IIIs, cannot afford this particular gambit without more certainty. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

OzJohnnie

Quote from: wally_wabash on May 19, 2020, 04:22:51 PM
I think it is when the plan isn't entirely contingent on circumstances changing.  ND and other schools gravitating toward this August-Thanksgiving fall term are banking on a lot of things changing and going right in the next eight-ten weeks in order to realize these plans.  The infrastructure they need to pull this off doesn't exist currently.

But again, ND can afford a futures bet on all of this panning out exactly the way they've plotted.  Far more schools, including a wide swath of our D-IIIs, cannot afford this particular gambit without more certainty. 

What?  They need to build classrooms?  Buy pens?  Pave extra parking lots?  What sort of infrastructure don't they have?  You don't need to make up problems.

Look, it's as easy as this.  They mail a bunch of letters that say, "Students and teachers, arrive two weeks early and leave three weeks early.  We're compacting everything."  Any school, I don't care how small or poor, could do exactly the same thing.  There is no special 8-9 week burden that ND faces with this plan which every other school doesn't also face with any other plan.  No plan short of "We're giving up now and going out of business" eliminates the need for the next 8-9 weeks to pass.

Just be straight with your position.  You think ND are taking some huge risk of everything blowing up.  I have no idea what they are thinking, but if I were in their shoes I would be thinking that just 7 weeks ago panic was running high that over 2 million Americans would die from the virus.  Draw a straight line from that panic to where we are today and then extend it.out again 8-9 weeks.  After you do that, fill your cooler and get your seat warmers ready.  Game on.
[  

wally_wabash

Quote from: OzJohnnie on May 19, 2020, 04:49:15 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on May 19, 2020, 04:22:51 PM

What?  They need to build classrooms?  Buy pens?  Pave extra parking lots?  What sort of infrastructure don't they have?  You don't need to make up problems.

Yes, pens.  That's exactly what we're talking about.  Come on.