FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olddog

Great to see a SCIAC and UR guy get a shot at the league. According to his family members if he got a sniff from the league he was going to graduate. O/W he had a year left to play. It was not that he felt he was a lock, he just wanted a chance. It will be fun to watch and fingers crossed.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

HSCTiger74

Quote from: D O.C. on April 26, 2020, 10:00:36 PM
Well, hell, then. No wonder Redlands ( finally ) beat LINFIELD! They had a pro playing on their side!

HSCTiger74... good to see you're around.

Thanks D O.C. You guys always keep this board interesting so I like to check in now and then to see what's up.
TANSTAAFL

olddog

Quote from: D O.C. on April 26, 2020, 10:00:36 PM
Well, hell, then. No wonder Redlands ( finally ) beat LINFIELD! They had a pro playing on their side!

HSCTiger74... good to see you're around.

He did do a really good job the night we played LF, and took away that option pass you guys like to run. After that game, he was avoided all year.

olddog

So

In a few weeks in Ca we will be in stage 2 of this BS...So schools can be open and staggered seating etc...
Stage 3, says sports are allowed among pros with no crowd...discussion on pro sports, This could happen this fall...Will the SCIAC play?

Stage 4, crowds allowed after vaccine is developed.

wally_wabash

Quote from: olddog on April 29, 2020, 11:31:32 AM
So schools can be open and staggered seating etc...
Stage 3, says sports are allowed among pros with no crowd...discussion on pro sports, This could happen this fall...Will the SCIAC play?

Maybe?  I will say that I'm a shade more optimistic about fall sports in the SCIAC than I was a couple of days ago. 

I think there's still a pretty large gap to bridge before the residential schools in the league can be comfortable bringing their students back in August, but yesterday's announcements were at least a baby step or two in the right direction. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

OxyBob

In the news, here's an article about Redlands' long-standing football rival Haskell Indian Nations University, courtesy of Campus Reform:

QuoteStudent left homeless amid pandemic for calling school employee a mean name

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=14802

OxyBob

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

RFB

Chapman was spotlighted today in an NBC4 news segment about whether and how students will return to campus. The university President was interviewed talking about various options. He didn't say it on camera, but the news segment narrator said no football or fraternity/sorority activities. Very interesting to say the least.

10Freeway

If there is no football being played, I would assume a large percentage of athletes do not pay for the fall semester.  When you find a school because of the football program, it is very hard to attend when they take that from you.  In general, schools are going to have a tough time finding families that can afford to come back for the fall.  If SCIAC schools are on line, forget about it.  Many cheaper options out there to do that.
When the legend becomes fact, print the legend-
  The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

Gray Fox

Quote from: 10Freeway on May 12, 2020, 11:48:03 AM
If there is no football being played, I would assume a large percentage of athletes do not pay for the fall semester.  When you find a school because of the football program, it is very hard to attend when they take that from you.  In general, schools are going to have a tough time finding families that can afford to come back for the fall.  If SCIAC schools are on line, forget about it.  Many cheaper options out there to do that.
That would apply to other sports as well. :(
Fierce When Roused

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gray Fox on May 12, 2020, 12:18:25 PM

And not just athletes.  IF fall sees classes still online only, how many students are gonna pay private school tuition, when they could take classes at a CC for infinitely less (or just take a semester off)?  If there isn't a vaccine, or at least effective treatment soon, private schools may be in great peril barring HUGE endowments.

olddog

I think Whittier and LV are on the short list of not making thru this Virus. UR, Oxy, and CLU are on the watch list, if no vaccine...things will change.

I wonder if UR will re look at their enrollment goals versus paying students, going forward.

PP, CMU, Cal Tech, and Chapman are the most wealthy.

RFB

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 12, 2020, 12:36:53 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on May 12, 2020, 12:18:25 PM

And not just athletes.  IF fall sees classes still online only, how many students are gonna pay private school tuition, when they could take classes at a CC for infinitely less (or just take a semester off)?  If there isn't a vaccine, or at least effective treatment soon, private schools may be in great peril barring HUGE endowments.

Indeed. In the news segment, a few Chapman students were interviewed as well. I guess Chapman has a pretty reputable dance school, and one of the students was speaking about taking online classes and trying to dance in her living room. A key part of the segment was about the tuition price, and how online classes are not doable and take away from their college experience. Private schools are definitely losing their luster as this virus situation plays out.

Gray Fox

Quote from: RFB on May 12, 2020, 01:37:22 PM
Indeed. In the news segment, a few Chapman students were interviewed as well. I guess Chapman has a pretty reputable dance school, and one of the students was speaking about taking online classes and trying to dance in her living room. A key part of the segment was about the tuition price, and how online classes are not doable and take away from their college experience. Private schools are definitely losing their luster as this virus situation plays out.
UCs are full.  I'm sure CC's are a good option, but they may not be ready for a new large group.
Maybe they can be feeder schools to the privates.
Fierce When Roused

olddog

Quote from: Gray Fox on May 12, 2020, 02:30:54 PM
Quote from: RFB on May 12, 2020, 01:37:22 PM
UCs are full.  I'm sure CC's are a good option, but they may not be ready for a new large group.
Maybe they can be feeder schools to the privates.

I would think that kids going to a D3 to play are fairly into school.... so it will be interesting as to what route they take. How about next year if no HS Football in So Cal...
One option is to Gray Shirt at JC so you don't burn up a year.