FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Quote from: awadelewis on September 14, 2014, 08:30:10 PM
The HSC and R-MC rivalry one of two traditional D-III rivalries to make it into Southern Living's "South's Biggest Rivalries" sweepstakes.   The other (but, of course) was Sewanee-Rhodes.

http://www.southernliving.com/travel/souths-biggest-rivalries.

This is a voting contest. If you go to the link you can vote. Right now R-MC vs H-SC is in second place (out of 26 rivalries) behind Auburn vs Alabama.

tigerfanalso

Well, I'm glad those first two games are behind us. When I first saw the schedule the reality of a 0-2 start was a real possibility. Not happy with lossing any game, but I'll take the 1-1 start. This Tiger team is a work in progress that I think will continue to get better and hit it's stride. Defensive line needs to get healthy an the OL needs to continue to mature.

Hasa: Congrats on a great start to the season. I guess Nov. 8th is going to be a big date in the odac.

Jk: Sorry for the slow start. Hard to believe the Gennies are this far behind last years team. I'm certain it will start to click, hopefully after Oct. 11th !!!!

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on September 15, 2014, 11:54:18 AM

Jk: Sorry for the slow start. Hard to believe the Gennies are this far behind last years team. I'm certain it will start to click, hopefully after Oct. 11th !!!!

It's all cyclical. This Generals team is young and what I saw was a team I hadn't seen in 6 or 7 years.  2004-2007 the Generals had a good run then took a two year lull to reload. That led to the best W&L teams I've seen, so I'm hoping last year and this year will lead to another good run as guys mature.

Watching them at Sewanee wasn't particularly fun, but the second half turned into a good game. I don't think the Generals had a single explosive running play. That just can't stand in a run-option system. There are some other problems that I see, but it is a continuation from last year. The guys just can't seem to get to the corners or seal off the corners when they get there. That pushes Hollerith up the middle too much. Losing the turnover battle doesn't help either. I think it's going to be a long and frustrating season for the Generals. But there is a lot of youth on the field so in a year or two you have to hope for a payoff.

tigerfanalso

I get the cylical thing, in fact I think HSC will expereience similar pain in 2015 & 2016 on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively I think Coach Favret will always have QB's & receivers just because of the system he runs. If you can throw or catch and want to play D3 football, HSC attracts alot of that talent but rarely do we have a defense as good as the one we now have and thats the cylical thing for us.

CUACARD59

Hoping to see CUA bounce back after the tough McDaniel loss. Coming off a bye, the team should be well rested and ready to take on a supposedly much improved Apprentice School team. Always filled with good athletes, the Builders appear to be much better under the leadership of HC Phil Hoffman and OC Zbigniew Kepa. Coach Kepa was the longtime OC for William & Mary College and has brought a new level of coaching to this team. Nonetheless the Builders are 0-2 and I'm still very confident CUA can pull out the win, but the Apprentice School may no longer be the easy win that they once were.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on September 15, 2014, 11:54:18 AM
Well, I'm glad those first two games are behind us. When I first saw the schedule the reality of a 0-2 start was a real possibility. Not happy with lossing any game, but I'll take the 1-1 start. This Tiger team is a work in progress that I think will continue to get better and hit it's stride. Defensive line needs to get healthy an the OL needs to continue to mature.

Hasa: Congrats on a great start to the season. I guess Nov. 8th is going to be a big date in the odac.

Thanks, tfa.  I apologize for the delayed response ... I've been traveling for a few days.  I'm heading to Salem to watch the GCQ/SVU game on Saturday.  Hopefully, we can keep this ball rolling and head into November on a high note!

tigerfanalso

CAUCARD59

How does your 2014 squad compare to last years team? I know HSC comes to town on Oct. 4th and you guys always give us a fit in DC. I'm certain HSC will get the best CAU has to offer; I hope we'll be prepared for it better than we were in 2012.
CAU totally dominated that game.

Good luck on Saturday. I talked to one of the coaches for the Fork Union Post Grad team several weeks back and they had just scrimmaged the Apprentice School. Based on that conversation CAU should be in good shape but we all know, anything can happen on any given Saturday.

hasanova

I attended the Guilford at SVU game in Salem last night.  I'm not sure why the Knights didn't play on their home field, but it did save me some driving.  Honestly, I think there were more people on the Guilford side than there were on the SVU side.  Anyway, a very penalty riddled game ... by both teams.  I think GC had 150 yards in penalties and SVU also over a 100.  It was a 3 hour game, which is long for games without TV ... but both teams did pass a lot.  Guilford put up 35, but if they could have eliminated some of the penalties, I think 49 was reasonable.  SVU has a good passing game, but, again, defensive penalties gave them a lot of yardage.  It felt like a 49-14 matchup instead of 35-27, but you have to overcome the penalties (and the refs).

Week off for the 3-0 Quakes before the Generals visit on Oct. 4. W&L scares me ... they don't feel like an 0-3 team.  I hope Guilford takes their preparations seriously!

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on September 21, 2014, 04:53:35 PM
Week off for the 3-0 Quakes before the Generals visit on Oct. 4. W&L scares me ... they don't feel like an 0-3 team.  I hope Guilford takes their preparations seriously!

Don't kid yourself. W&L is very much an 0-3 team. The big difference is each game has been against a better opponent and the losses are by about the same amount with chances to win late. Still, the offense isn't there right now, even if the defense is playing well. Right now the offense is only getting 240 yards on the ground per game. Not good enough when you are connecting on under 50% of your passes. 3rd downs at 38% aren't working either.

All that being said there are good reasons for it. One skill position starter against Centre was a Senior, the other 5 (counting the TE) were  sophomores. 3 of the top 4 rushers are freshman or sophomores and one senior (this includes the soph qb). The four top receivers are 3 freshman and a sophomore. The 3 top kick returners are two freshman and a sophomore. The top 5 scorers are 4 sophomores and a freshman. The only place you find seniors (plural) on offense right now is the line, with 2 and a junior plus two sophomores.

There are more seniors on defense, but the top six tacklers are two sophmores, two juniors and two seniors.

W&L isn't going to be all that good this year, but I expect they'll be competitive and win a few conference games. Unfortunately they start at Guilford,  home for HSC, and home for RMC in conference play, so they are going to take some lumps. After that I hope they have gelled, learned a bit, and can get on with winning a few games and building for the next few years.

tigerfanalso

Sadly nothing to report from the Tiger Camp, other than CGA might be one of the worse D3 teams in the country. I respect the kids for what the do but football is something they do not do well. Bye week coming up followed by 7 straight weeks of odac play. Tigers play 4 of their first 5 odac games on the road. That is going to be a very difficult task. We'll see how the team reacts. One game at home the entire month of October.

hasanova

Guilford Junior QB Matt Pawlowski earned his 2nd straight ODAC Offensive POW and the 7th of his 23 game career.  Congratulations!

CUACARD59

Quote from: tigerfanalso on September 18, 2014, 04:59:37 PM
CUACARD59

How does your 2014 squad compare to last years team? I know HSC comes to town on Oct. 4th and you guys always give us a fit in DC. I'm certain HSC will get the best CUA has to offer; I hope we'll be prepared for it better than we were in 2012.
CUA totally dominated that game.

Good luck on Saturday. I talked to one of the coaches for the Fork Union Post Grad team several weeks back and they had just scrimmaged the Apprentice School. Based on that conversation CUA should be in good shape but we all know, anything can happen on any given Saturday.

It was a nice first win for the cards this weekend and once again they showed some really strong points that excite me and a few things that will need to be better against tougher opponents. 565 yards of total offense and no turnovers, just gotta turn all that offense into a few more TDs. Offensive line played very well again but got a little banged up so I hope they heal up quickly. Anytime you have such a balanced offensive game (292 passing, 273 rushing) a lot of the credit has to go to the big dogs!! QB TJ Tutone had a very nice game with 292 passing/ 2TDs and 70 rushing/ 1TD. Backup running back sophomore Matt Perno looked excellent and I think he could be an important player moving forward. He had 115 and a TD on 17 carries. Another sophomore, WR Lucas Morley, had 2 TD catches and is a big athletic receiver that could really develop into a stud. Hopefully the young defense, specifically the front 7, continues to improve as these young guys get more and more experience.

tigerfanalso

Compared to last years team, this CUA squad is much younger, predominately made up of sophomores and juniors. We graduated a lot of starters on both sides of the ball including 9 all conference players. I expect some growing pains (like the rough loss to McDaniel) but also expect them to be very competitive. I think they will have head shaking weeks (again a la McDaniel) and other great weeks were they are clicking on all cylinders and can play with anyone (like the HCS game from 2012). Last years team peaked at the end of the season with our two best games the final two weeks against Guilford and Bridgewater. Had there been a conference playoff at the end of the year I would have liked our odds as we had finally figured out our identity as a team. Hopefully this years team can gel a bit earlier and play well throughout conference play. We always get geared up to play Sydney so I hope that this year can be a repeat of 2012!

abnrgr

Quote from: jknezek on September 21, 2014, 06:32:18 PM

Don't kid yourself. W&L is very much an 0-3 team. The big difference is each game has been against a better opponent and the losses are by about the same amount with chances to win late. Still, the offense isn't there right now, even if the defense is playing well. Right now the offense is only getting 240 yards on the ground per game. Not good enough when you are connecting on under 50% of your passes. 3rd downs at 38% aren't working either.

All that being said there are good reasons for it. One skill position starter against Centre was a Senior, the other 5 (counting the TE) were  sophomores. 3 of the top 4 rushers are freshman or sophomores and one senior (this includes the soph qb). The four top receivers are 3 freshman and a sophomore. The 3 top kick returners are two freshman and a sophomore. The top 5 scorers are 4 sophomores and a freshman. The only place you find seniors (plural) on offense right now is the line, with 2 and a junior plus two sophomores.

There are more seniors on defense, but the top six tacklers are two sophmores, two juniors and two seniors.

W&L isn't going to be all that good this year, but I expect they'll be competitive and win a few conference games. Unfortunately they start at Guilford,  home for HSC, and home for RMC in conference play, so they are going to take some lumps. After that I hope they have gelled, learned a bit, and can get on with winning a few games and building for the next few years.

Yea but that Centre game showed they got some fight & bite. I suspect somebody's season will get trashed because they went to sleep.
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

hasanova

Quote from: abnrgr on September 22, 2014, 04:42:07 PM
Quote from: jknezek on September 21, 2014, 06:32:18 PM

Yea but that Centre game showed they got some fight & bite. I suspect somebody's season will get trashed because they went to sleep.
My point exactly ... stay focused in practice this week, Quakers!

tigerfanalso

Hasa

I think every team needs to bring it on Saturday. Any team in the odac can win if the better team does not show up and play on any given Saturday.

Continued good luck to your Quakers, at least until Nov. 8th. Hope you can make it to HSC this year.