BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: tomt4525 on June 07, 2014, 06:15:34 PM
Feyereisen offered 80K plus the rest of his schooling paid for if he signs....unfortunately, we won't see him as a Senior at Point.

When I talked to Jared Washburn if he ever went back or thought about finishing his degree, the answer was no.

If Feyereisen is as successful at Washburn, he might not take advantage of the education benefit.

Bishopleftiesdad

I think many of the clubs bank on that. I am not sure how many players ever take advantage of this when it is offered, at any level.

badgerwarhawk

Washburn signed a four year $37 million contract with the Seattle Mariners in 2006.  Considering that  was late in his career, he was a second round draft pick and he had already been in the bigs 8 years at that point who needs a college degree.. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

ShineTime

Jp signed today article in stevens point journal.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

badgerwarhawk

"Just think twice is my only advice."

bleedpurple

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on June 09, 2014, 02:03:11 PM
I think many of the clubs bank on that. I am not sure how many players ever take advantage of this when it is offered, at any level.

That is probably true, which makes it a great move by the club.  It is a great carrot to offer because it effectively neutralizes the attractiveness of the "go back to school" option and may well end up costing the club nothing.

108 Stitches

For drafted Jr's it is very manageable to finish their degrees by going to school for two fall semesters after graduation. Minor league ball is done early and starts late so they might be able to squeak in an online class here or there also. Many D1 programs that have a lot of kids drafted  encourage them to come back and get their degrees. It is good for the players and the NCAA graduation rate ranking, which is tracked. 

Jim Dixon

Quote from: 108 Stitches on June 11, 2014, 09:17:55 AM
For drafted Jr's it is very manageable to finish their degrees by going to school for two fall semesters after graduation. Minor league ball is done early and starts late so they might be able to squeak in an online class here or there also. Many D1 programs that have a lot of kids drafted  encourage them to come back and get their degrees. It is good for the players and the NCAA graduation rate ranking, which is tracked.

Having the option in the contract for finishing school modifies those who might complain about juniors being drafted and is a nod to the fact that most players use their parents as part of their decision and this gets mom and dad on board.

cubs

Heard a report that UWO will be losing pitcher Joe Pavlovich this season. 

He turned a solid season in the Northwoods League with the Lakeshore Chinooks into a shot at the D1 level with UW Milwaukee.

I'm sure there will still be people blaming Lechnir's "coaching style" for this transfer as well!!!  ::)

Edit:  Here is a link confirming the transfer...
http://northwoodsleague.com/lakeshore-chinooks/2014/08/22/lakeshore-chinooks-tabbed-top-summer-collegiate-baseball-team-in-the-nation/
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Bishopleftiesdad

If I know the rules correctly, He will need to sit out a year. It was before my time following College baseball, but I believe the NWL was notorious for this type of thing amoung D3 coaches. Quite a few players from D3 schools would find there way onto D1 teams after playing in the Northwoods. At one point several schools did not want to send their players, because they were worried about them getting poached.
How do you think UWO, will spin this to recruits? Do you think they will sell recruits on the possibility of another shot at D1? Come play for us, if your good enough we can get you in this league. Then who knows, A D1 may become interested.

cubs

ShineTime

He should at least be managing the alumni team I'd think.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

cubs

Quote from: ShineTime on August 28, 2014, 11:49:06 AM
Fat chance....  Don't think you will EVER see him step foot in Alumni Stadium again, at least until Sims, Wells, and the rest of the crew are done at the university.

Just Bill

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on August 26, 2014, 10:21:03 AM
If I know the rules correctly, He will need to sit out a year. It was before my time following College baseball, but I believe the NWL was notorious for this type of thing amoung D3 coaches. Quite a few players from D3 schools would find there way onto D1 teams after playing in the Northwoods. At one point several schools did not want to send their players, because they were worried about them getting poached.
How do you think UWO, will spin this to recruits? Do you think they will sell recruits on the possibility of another shot at D1? Come play for us, if your good enough we can get you in this league. Then who knows, A D1 may become interested.

Many D-III's have the opposite problem. They want to get players into the Northwoods League, but a lot of NWL GMs think having too many D-III guys looks bad when you're trying to attract D-I talent.

I highly doubt any D-III school recruits themselves as a stepping stone to D-I. At least not one with an ounce of self-respect.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

AppletonRocks

Quote from: cubs on August 28, 2014, 08:52:36 PM
Quote from: ShineTime on August 28, 2014, 11:49:06 AM
Fat chance....  Don't think you will EVER see him step foot in Alumni Stadium again, at least until Sims, Wells, and the rest of the crew are done at the university.

I think Wells is almost gone.   I still alugh when I read all the "liberal arts" talk he started at UW-O.  I suspect his biggest achievement will be using the University money to build hotels and manure and garbage heat exchangers. 
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion