FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPECIAL TEAMS STARTER and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 15, 2020, 07:01:11 AM
Did Bartch get a snap?  I don't think so but the participation reports I've been able to locate aren't too flash.   Anyone in a fantasy league that has access to those stats?

I always go to NFL.com for these things, but they may be available elsewhere. Look for the Gamebook PDF link:
https://www.nfl.com/games/colts-at-jaguars-2020-reg-1

This will give you the detail on snaps played. I have used it a lot in tracking the D-III guys over the past 10 years or so.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SagatagSam

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 15, 2020, 01:38:57 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 15, 2020, 07:01:11 AM
Did Bartch get a snap?  I don't think so but the participation reports I've been able to locate aren't too flash.   Anyone in a fantasy league that has access to those stats?

I always go to NFL.com for these things, but they may be available elsewhere. Look for the Gamebook PDF link:
https://www.nfl.com/games/colts-at-jaguars-2020-reg-1

This will give you the detail on snaps played. I have used it a lot in tracking the D-III guys over the past 10 years or so.

Yep, Gamebook confirms 5 snaps. That's awesome.
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

OzJohnnie

Just had this passed on to me by my daughter at Penn State (she stayed for another semester because why return here like it is?).  Big 10 football back on.  Announcement tonight.  This hot mic moment was caught from the Nebraska Chancellor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKd8akJAJx/?igshid=d6ykhxkfy4vd

(I sure hope that pickup is accurate)

EDIT: This ESPN article confirms the pickup was accurate but a lot of hemming and hawing about whether play will really be back on.  https://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/29892098/nebraska-official-caught-hot-mic-saying-big-ten-football-decision-coming-tuesday
[  

Texas Ole

Football is not a huge moneymaker for the schools.  Funds earned through related athletic activities does move the needle in a dramatic form.  Programs were being dropped, and that didn't sit well with others.  Add to that the possibility of transfers and other unintended consequences, and you might see the Big Ten fall way behind other P5 conferences.  I get the Pac 12 not wanting to play.  They have socially distanced themselves from the playoff the last few years.  Outside of Ohio State and one year of Michigan State the Big Ten has socially distanced themselves from the playoff.  That can't sit well with the conference. 

Prior to expansion the Big Ten was a conference where the conference was more important than the individuals.  Nebraska changed that thinking.  There seems to be a lot of smoke with the Big Ten returning to play, and where there is this much smoke there is likely some fire.  The question is how long will it take the schools to ramp up to game ready.  I am thinking 3 weeks so games starting maybe on Oct 17?

What impact will this have on other sports?  I don't think the MIAC will bring back sports earlier than January, but this has to be a positive for the conference in regards to spring sports.  I don't know if anyone has noticed, but St. Olaf has hired numerous coaches.  Either the athletics department loves burning money, or they have a pretty good idea as to when the MIAC will play again.

sjusection105

Quote from: Texas Ole on September 15, 2020, 06:22:32 PM
What impact will this have on other sports?  I don't think the MIAC will bring back sports earlier than January, but this has to be a positive for the conference in regards to spring sports. 

If the Gophers play football the spotlight will be on the Minnesota State High School League. Wisconsin,Iowa & the Dakotas are playing high school football so there will be a lot of discussion if the Big 10 plays. I don't think the other college conferences within Minnesota will be swayed by the Big 10.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 15, 2020, 07:49:30 PM
What impact will this have on other sports?  I don't think the MIAC will bring back sports earlier than January, but this has to be a positive for the conference in regards to spring sports. 

If the Gophers play football the spotlight will be on the Minnesota State High School League. Wisconsin,Iowa & the Dakotas are playing high school football so there will be a lot of discussion if the Big 10 plays. I don't think the other college conferences within Minnesota will be swayed by the Big 10.

It looks like there is some smoke in the vicinity of the MSHSL as well...  https://www.startribune.com/game-back-on-mshsl-set-to-consider-fall-football-volleyball/572422152/

hazzben

They have socially distanced themselves from the playoff the last few years. 

This line made me laugh

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on September 16, 2020, 08:45:18 AM

It looks like there is some smoke in the vicinity of the MSHSL as well...  https://www.startribune.com/game-back-on-mshsl-set-to-consider-fall-football-volleyball/572422152/

Minnesota and Illinois are the only two states not on the coasts that aren't playing Fall sports. I was talking to one of the main guys at the MSHSL after our son's youth football game Saturday. They are feeling the heat...and they should be. They completely mishandled this. Essentially, the football subcommittee strongly recommended fall sports/football. That recommendation was never relayed to the larger committee. There are time stamped emails that are pretty damning that reveal there were people working to nix football before it ever got before the committee for the vote.

It's a cluster. MSHSL deserves every bit of heat they are getting. Spring football ... except for any school without a turf field, since they'll be frozen ... and now we are asking kids to play football seasons within 3 months of each other ... and we don't have enough time to get helmets reconditioned for the fall 2021 season. One. Big. Cluster.

miac952

I really don't get the MSHSL decision making either. It seems apathetic and lazy on their part. They decided it was ok to do soccer but not football. It was ok to practice football for a couple weeks, but not do games. And the idea for spring was half brained from the start. Most fields will be either frozen or underwater. The seniors with college aspirations won't want to risk injury. And others will have conflicts with other sports. The safety aspect of two football season within a six month window seems to have been neglected as well. It seemed like it was a way to pas the buck and inevitably cancel the season outright in the spring. Really a poor effort by MSHSL. All involved in this decision deserve all the ridicule they are getting, including the Johnnie alumnus at the helm  ;D

It seems they came at it from the approach of "Let's find ways to postpone or cancel this." A few constructive planning sessions could have sorted out minimizing risk in locker rooms and with transportation. And to add to it all we get the condescending tweets from their PR mouthpiece, John Millea, throughout it all, belittling opposing views.

We also shouldn't forget that football, like many activities, is a lifeline for disadvantaged and troubled youth. The structure and discipline it provides keep kids from doing other activities with negative consequences.

Texas Ole

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on September 16, 2020, 08:45:18 AM

I can't see the MIAC playing any fall sports.  A few schools have already said they aren't playing this fall regardless of any developments.  I have a little more hope for winter and spring sports, but I can also see some people torpedoing those sports seasons.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 15, 2020, 05:48:24 PM
Just had this passed on to me by my daughter at Penn State (she stayed for another semester because why return here like it is?).  Big 10 football back on.  Announcement tonight.  This hot mic moment was caught from the Nebraska Chancellor.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKd8akJAJx/?igshid=d6ykhxkfy4vd

(I sure hope that pickup is accurate)

EDIT: This ESPN article confirms the pickup was accurate but a lot of hemming and hawing about whether play will really be back on.  https://www.espn.com.au/college-football/story/_/id/29892098/nebraska-official-caught-hot-mic-saying-big-ten-football-decision-coming-tuesday

And it's back!  Nebraska man was giving the good scuttlebutt.  The big 10 opens play in just over four weeks on Oct 24th.

Now we just need the soft-as-butter MSHSL administration harridans to stop clutching their pearls and let the kids play.  I have no hope that the Brave Sir Robins who administer D3 will reverse course.  There is far more faculty lounge cred in being obstinately wrong-headed for the cause than their is in introspection which leads to reversing course so that people can live life on their own terms.
[  

OzJohnnie

A tiny snippet of Bartch in the highlights.  He's lined up at left tackle for the FG.  And has three men trying to bully over him.  Holds firm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_e8YhmSwM&feature=youtu.be&t=634

[  

SagatagSam

My, oh my, how big decisions can change over the course of a month. These SEC Shorts videos are pretty funny, first poking fun at the B1G's decision not to play and then doing an about face and rebooting the season.

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

Robert Zimmerman

Covid is spreading at SJU, about 50 cases in a pretty short time. Entire Pat and Bonnie dorms have to be tested. Rumor is that it has spread on the football team and a women's varsity sport.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on September 18, 2020, 06:30:11 PM
Covid is spreading at SJU, about 50 cases in a pretty short time. Entire Pat and Bonnie dorms have to be tested. Rumor is that it has spread on the football team and a women's varsity sport.

It went through Penn State like a crashing wave the last three weeks and it is already coming off the peak.  According to their dashboard they have 1371 confirmed positive infections out of about 42k students.  That doesn't include contacts also in isolation (if one roommate gets a positive then all roommates sit out the quarantine together, even if the others never take a test.  Almost like the chickenpox approach with kids, it looks to me).  Including contacts who have isolated but not tested then that number is likely three times higher.

My daughter just finished her 10 day stay-at-home from her infection.  She didn't take a test but her roommate tested positive so they both got the order.  Day one was a regular flu-like symptom of general miserableness.  Day two was a headache and tired, no fever.  Day three was tired.  Day four was near 100%.  And day five+ was complete boredom.  She said we sent her to school with worse.

Anyways, Big 10 football is back on, the virus will sweep through the student population before games begin and the good times will roll in as play starts.  Couldn't have timed it better.
[  

Texas Ole

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 18, 2020, 06:46:12 PM
Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on September 18, 2020, 06:30:11 PM

It went through Penn State like a crashing wave the last three weeks and it is already coming off the peak.  According to their dashboard they have 1371 confirmed positive infections out of about 42k students.  That doesn't include contacts also in isolation (if one roommate gets a positive then all roommates sit out the quarantine together, even if the others never take a test.  Almost like the chickenpox approach with kids, it looks to me).  Including contacts who have isolated but not tested then that number is likely three times higher.

My daughter just finished her 10 day stay-at-home from her infection.  She didn't take a test but her roommate tested positive so they both got the order.  Day one was a regular flu-like symptom of general miserableness.  Day two was a headache and tired, no fever.  Day three was tired.  Day four was near 100%.  And day five+ was complete boredom.  She said we sent her to school with worse.

Anyways, Big 10 football is back on, the virus will sweep through the student population before games begin and the good times will roll in as play starts.  Couldn't have timed it better.

There are going to be some with very similar stories.  There will be others with milder and more severe issues with the virus.  I think we are moving closer to herd immunity, and it may happen before a vaccine reaches the market.  I do think we will have a vaccine first, but it may not matter if many have already caught the virus.  We cannot control a virus.  It doesn't know human boundaries.  We can contain it to a certain level.  I believe once it runs its course through a community it will start phase itself out when it can no longer find the hosts that it needs to survive.

I am probably more disappointed in no MIAC football than anyone.  I had planned on attending my first set of games in almost a decade.  I do think the MIAC made a good decision to postpone sports for the fall.  It has the potential to fly through these campuses, and with the smaller towns that could overwhelm the local care facilities.  The failure in my opinion has to do with the bubble approach that some schools are taking.  They want to create a bubble similar to what the NBA has done, but it isn't possible.  There are too many holes with professors and support staff being off campus.  Even worse is the zero tolerance approach from some schools.  That concerns me.