MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottiedoug

Nebraska Wesleyan was as advertised.  Mr. Grubby was right...not enough Scots showed up (what was up with Colt?) and many of the other team did.  Hoppa and Manny did good.  Otherwise, perhaps the Scots now know what it takes to win at that level.  It was a good year.

scottiedoug

The Nebraska Wesleyan team took care of Aurora, which beat #4 ranked Washington U. on WashU's court.  The Scots got beat by a Sweet 16 team that is pretty good!  I assume Randy's team will want to try this again next year with a clearer idea about what it takes!

scottiedoug

Nebraska Wesleyan  has beaten every team they have played in the NCAA tournament by about as much as they beat the Scots and are now in the Final Four.  Randy's players should feel pretty good knowing they did as well as several highly touted other teams.  I hope they dedicate the time off to maximizing what they already have demonstrated.  I thought they looked like a really good team in the MC game and now it seems that was correct.

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

scottiedoug

Ok Scots.  Nebraska Wesleyan had all their players back and decided to make something of it.  Your turn!

Scots13

John Brice tweeted this morning that UT and MC will have an exhibition game Oct. 31.  :o
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

scottiedoug

To remind the Scots of Nebraska Wesleyan?  Not sure how this is helpful.  Maybe money is involved.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: scottiedoug on April 20, 2018, 10:48:32 AM
To remind the Scots of Nebraska Wesleyan?  Not sure how this is helpful.  Maybe money is involved.

Assuredly. That's how these things go, generally.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Scots13

I would suspect MC would get at least $50k for the exhibition...maybe more. Heck, TN Tech paid us $25k for a football game. That money goes a long way for small athletics budgeting.

A chance to play on the same court Pat Summitt won 8 national championships and men's teams like UNC, UK, and Kansas have played...sign me up.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

scottiedoug

Does anyone out there think this is useful for the teams as teams? I understand that the Scots will learn some things about playing bigger and more skilled men but what could UT get from it?  And of course money for the Scots is always scarce.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Scots13 on April 22, 2018, 10:42:40 PM
I would suspect MC would get at least $50k for the exhibition...maybe more. Heck, TN Tech paid us $25k for a football game. That money goes a long way for small athletics budgeting.

A chance to play on the same court Pat Summitt won 8 national championships and men's teams like UNC, UK, and Kansas have played...sign me up.

I'd be surprised if it's 50K but it's been a while since I was involved in the business of any of these transactions.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ronk

I'm remembering that Catholic got 15K plus 100 tickets for their bball game @ Maryland this past season.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ronk on April 24, 2018, 12:02:30 AM
I'm remembering that Catholic got 15K plus 100 tickets for their bball game @ Maryland this past season.

That sounds more in line with what I'd expect.

Scots13

I'll take your word for it in terms of the money...but if anyone can blow money it's Tennessee's athletic department ::)
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on April 24, 2018, 12:02:30 AM

And that was for an actual game - not an exhibition (for either team)!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.