FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Words or Less

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on November 01, 2017, 06:48:10 AM
Hyphens and apostrophes? I'm throwing the too many words flag.

Hyphenated words count as one  :D

Quote from:  Allen Wyatt - Tips.netCounting "father-in-law" as three words would be blatantly incorrect, since you're referring to one person. So, once compound words are closed or hyphenated they are counted as one word. If the compound word is open, e.g., "post office," it is counted as two words.
https://wordribbon.tips.net/T009228_Ignoring_Hyphens_in_Word_Counts.html

5 Words or Less

Quote from: Outside the Crate on October 31, 2017, 08:02:18 PM
I said I can't explain it!  Heck, I've donated to Luther for twenty-six straight years (have a "Loyalty Cup" to prove it -- am the only Wartburg alumnus to have one, I bet), but that good will doesn't extend to the athletic venues.  Like I said, it's not rational!  Go Knights!  Don't be Blue; Be Orange!

Stunning Reformation worship celebration today at Wartburg  Gosh, these folks know how to do music, too!  Like I said, "Happy Reformation!"

Blue = GOOD, Orange BAD

Quote from:  swexler on March 23, 2012
... we need to get something straight:

• Dark Blue == Good, Lots
  • Dark Orange == Bad, Few
I'm seeing examples where people are applying the colors in  reverse, and, well, that's just wrong (in my not-so-humble opinion).  Think about it: when was the last time you saw a danger sign flash in royal blue vs. red or orange?

http://www.datarevelations.com/blue-is-good-orange-is-bad.html

5 Words or Less

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Klompen

Congratulations to Central's QB Blaine Hawkins on making the D3 team of the week!  You deserved it with that performance Saturday.  Let's have a repeat performance against Luther.

Old Dutch

When I slammed my iPad shut in week three trailing NWU by 14 I never dreamed these Dutch would be playing for 2nd place by the end of the year.  Not to get terribly excited, two tough wins lay ahead, but at least they answered the questions about this season being the end of "the streak"  5WOL:  Note updated signature Line ;D

Go Dutch
61 consecutive seasons without a losing season
IIAC/ARC champs 39, 45, 46, 56, 64, 65, 66, 67, 74, 77, 78, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
NCAA Playoffs 74, 77, 78, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
Stagg Bowls 74, 84, 89
National Champs 1974

5 Words or Less

Touché - Central's team pulled through!  :)

doolittledog

Halftime scores

Wartburg leads BVU 28-14
Neb Wes leads Simpson 28-14
Dubuque leads Coe 21-7
Luther leads Central 7-3
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

doolittledog

Final scores

Wartburg beat BVU 56-14
Neb Wes beat Simpson 45-38
Dubuque beat Coe 35-21
Central beat Luther 23-21
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

warthog

Conference wrestling opener for Wartburg tonight.
Beat Nebraska Wesleyan 45-0.
This is the Knights' 197th straight conference win.
I'm guessing they might be OK this season. :D
BE ORANGE

MediaGuy

I guess it's that time of year, and the board has been pretty quiet this year so maybe something to start the discussion...
Possible Playoff matchups for Wartburg.  Here are the teams within the 500 mile distance limit, and since the committee has gone away from traditional "Regional" Brackets in the last few years, i will disregard which Region the teams are currently in. 

AQ, Possible Pool C, Clinches AQ in week 11

St. Thomas (203 miles)
Monmouth College (206 miles)
Eureka College (269 miles)
St. John's (278 miles)
Illionis Wesleyan (291 miles)
UW-Oshkosh (294 miles)
North Central (295 miles)
Lakeland College (317 miles)
St Norbert College (338 miles)
Concordia Morehead (433 miles)
Trine University (475 miles)
Franklin College (486 miles)

And with George Fox and UW-Platteville losing yesterday, I think it's a safe bet that the committee will do 2 things.  First, use the 1 flight budgeted for the first round to send someone to play Linfield.  And second, break up the west region, as there are probably not a full 8 playoff teams in the region.

Should Wartburg finish undefeated, these are the most likely matchups for Wartburg if I look at the regional rankings as of today.
Monmouth/St Norbert Winner
Eureka
Lakeland
Illionlis Wesleyan, St John's, Concordia
Franklin

I just hope that the committee will not send the CCIW or MIAC runner-up to Wartburg in the first round, as I think it would be wildly unfair for teams that highly ranked in the region to run into each other in the first round.

Please discuss, and maybe Hansenratings can crunch some numbers and give us a clue as to the possible regional rankings for the end of the year with SOS factored in.

MediaGuy

Also some sad news, Wartburg Kickers/Punters coach Mike Dotseth lost his wife of 40+ years late last night  after a short illness.  Life always has a way of putting things in perspective and while the Wartburg Family is celebrating another successful football season, our hearts are aching at a loss so close to home.  She was one of the nicest people I have ever met and the orange is a shade darker around campus without her here. 

5 Words or Less

5 Words or Less

Regarding yesterday's Luther vs. Central game - both teams played well enough to win, but that's not how it works so you have to feel bad for the Luther place kicker who missed a potential game-winning, chip-shot field goal as time expired.  Once again, I was impressed with Coach McMartin as he sought out the senior kicker lingering behind the handshake line to seemingly encourage him to keep his chin up and remember that life goes on.  Kudos also to the Central players and fans who represented their institution well.  The thing that stood out for the Dutch on the field was how well their wide receivers blocked.  Their effort allowed for significant gains on sweeps and yards after catch. The other thing that stood out was something that seems to be missing from football today - DEFENSE.  Both teams played gritty, hard-nosed football.  I'm happy that the dozens of Luther recruits sitting in the stands were treated to a thrilling game.  Here's hoping they all choose to matriculate to Luther since the senior class of 25 represents roughly one third of the the team.  The shelves will be far from bare next season but additional depth will be essential for the program to advance.  The bubble gum turf and other forthcoming facility improvements will certainly help.  Go Blue!

Sincerely yours,
5 Words or More

miac952

Quote from: MediaGuy on November 05, 2017, 10:12:23 AM
I guess it's that time of year, and the board has been pretty quiet this year so maybe something to start the discussion...
Possible Playoff matchups for Wartburg.  Here are the teams within the 500 mile distance limit, and since the committee has gone away from traditional "Regional" Brackets in the last few years, i will disregard which Region the teams are currently in. 

AQ, Possible Pool C, Clinches AQ in week 11

St. Thomas (203 miles)
Monmouth College (206 miles)
Eureka College (269 miles)
St. John's (278 miles)
Illionis Wesleyan (291 miles)
UW-Oshkosh (294 miles)
North Central (295 miles)
Lakeland College (317 miles)
St Norbert College (338 miles)
Concordia Morehead (433 miles)
Trine University (475 miles)
Franklin College (486 miles)

And with George Fox and UW-Platteville losing yesterday, I think it's a safe bet that the committee will do 2 things.  First, use the 1 flight budgeted for the first round to send someone to play Linfield.  And second, break up the west region, as there are probably not a full 8 playoff teams in the region.

Should Wartburg finish undefeated, these are the most likely matchups for Wartburg if I look at the regional rankings as of today.
Monmouth/St Norbert Winner
Eureka
Lakeland
Illionlis Wesleyan, St John's, Concordia
Franklin

I just hope that the committee will not send the CCIW or MIAC runner-up to Wartburg in the first round, as I think it would be wildly unfair for teams that highly ranked in the region to run into each other in the first round.

Please discuss, and maybe Hansenratings can crunch some numbers and give us a clue as to the possible regional rankings for the end of the year with SOS factored in.

Good analysis. There is a obviously a HUGE difference in hosting a first rounder against Eureka or Lakeland vs having to host Ill Wesleyan, SJU, or even a LaCrosse if they get in. That would be a really unfortunate first round draw all around. There are some very legitimate Pool C's this year; more so than what we have seen the past few years I think. Have to assume UWO gets one of Lakeland or Eureka, even if the NCAA gets creative with 1 seeds. I would say that leaves one of Lakeland or Eureka and the Monmouth/ Norbert's winner to be UST / Wartburg first round opponents. That would make some sense to me.

UWO also has a moderately difficult final game this week in Stout. While they have clinched an upset in that game could really flip seedlings and matchups on its head.

Linfield might get put into a bracket with UMHB again given how geographically isolated both groupings of schools in the south and west.