MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaboNation

Dominating win for MIT over Skidmore.

Just about everything was working from the jump.  Roberts was immense.  What else can you say when a player gets a double-double in each half.  Jurko also had a stellar game scoring and facilitating.  Jomard a little off with some close misses, but found his mates for 7 assists.  Both Hinkley and Forsythe kept the defense extended with outside shooting.
About the only health question (does it ever end?) is the availability of Korb.

BaboNation

If you're an MIT fan, a NEWMAC fan, or just a fan of D3 basketball, all you can do is tip your cap to Swarthmore and realize last night they could do no wrong. 
How can you explain a team that misses just one shot from the field in the first 10 minutes?  A team that shoots 10 for 10 beyond the arc in the first half?  Does that even happen in a shoot around with no defense?  Heck, if they hadn't missed the front end on some FTs it could have been even worse.
Even after MIT briefly cut a 26 point lead nearly in half Swarthmore just hit the gas again and never looked back.
Putting things in perspective, this does not diminish the 4-year accomplishments of the MIT senior class on the court.  And off the court these guys will no doubt have much success in whatever path they choose.

WPI89

Well said Babo. Congrats Swat!

rlk

Very well put, Babo.  It's certainly painful for us MIT fans, but you're absolutely correct in all respects.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

MIT played an excellent first half.  Their shooting was great and they took care of the ball well.  You just can't do much when the other team shoots 89%.  43 points is a great first half; you can never plan for the opponent scoring 68.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

rlk

Good point, Ryan.

Looking at the box score in a bit more detail, I see we had only 10 turnovers for the game vs. 18 for Swarthmore -- we won the turnover battle by a good margin -- and 4 in the first half, and we shot 48% from the floor and 43% from downtown.  We had 3 steals vs. 0 for Swarthmore in that half.  That is not a team in a meltdown.  24-27 from the floor, and 10-10 from behind the arc are numbers you wouldn't expect to see in warmups, much less competition.  Even in the second half we took care of the ball well.

The rebound battle wasn't so good, but we had very few opportunities on the defensive end.

I guess bottom line, Swarthmore probably had one of the best halves of basketball anyone's ever had, and we were the victims.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

This is how Swarthmore plays, though - it's part of the plan.  They come out for the first 5-10 minutes at a blistering pace.  My assumption is they're trying to shock the opponent and get a lead that they'll be able to maintain later on with their talent.  I doubt it's ever worked quite this well before.

rlk

Typically when I see that it's the offense running through the defense.  MIT has done that to a lot of opponents, and that's essentially what WPI did to MIT in the NEWMAC semifinal, but it doesn't look (from the box score, at any rate) like that's what happened here.  MIT's offense, as you noted, was fine, and turnovers don't look like they were a problem.  But just as you say you can't plan against an opponent scoring 68 points in a half (well, a non-System opponent), you can't plan on going 10-10 from downtown.

In any event, this is all post-game chatter, and congratulations to Swarthmore on superb execution is the bottom line.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Every time I watch Swarthmore I have the same initial response - "how can they possibly maintain this level of intensity the whole game," of course the answer is they don't and don't plan to do so.  They just want to get far enough ahead they can maintain.  I've never asked the coach specifically, so I don't want to put words in his mouth, but this certainly appears to be what they do every game - at least during the last half of this season, anyway.

rlk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2019, 06:01:02 PM

Every time I watch Swarthmore I have the same initial response - "how can they possibly maintain this level of intensity the whole game," of course the answer is they don't and don't plan to do so.  They just want to get far enough ahead they can maintain.  I've never asked the coach specifically, so I don't want to put words in his mouth, but this certainly appears to be what they do every game - at least during the last half of this season, anyway.

I remember last year they were doing the same kind of thing; the first three rounds they were blowing very strong teams out of the water, winning by 30 points or what have you.  I guess it finally caught up with them when they played Springfield.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: rlk on March 04, 2019, 08:12:41 PM

I remember last year they were doing the same kind of thing; the first three rounds they were blowing very strong teams out of the water, winning by 30 points or what have you.  I guess it finally caught up with them when they played Springfield.

That Springfield team was special; I'm not sure Jake Ross was losing to anybody that weekend (just ask him).  I do believe Swarthmore had a flu going around that weekend, too, which didn't help things for them.

toad22

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2019, 10:32:55 PM

That Springfield team was special; I'm not sure Jake Ross was losing to anybody that weekend (just ask him).  I do believe Swarthmore had a flu going around that weekend, too, which didn't help things for them.

The crazy part of that Springfield team was that in the first part of that season, they wern't even any good. Williams beat them in December so badly that I wrote them off. My bad.

rlk

Quote from: toad22 on March 04, 2019, 11:16:38 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2019, 10:32:55 PM

The crazy part of that Springfield team was that in the first part of that season, they wern't even any good. Williams beat them in December so badly that I wrote them off. My bad.

They're not the Springfield Pride for nothing. They are always -- and I mean ALWAYS -- a very dangerous team to play.

JustAFan

Former Trinity player Tyler Simms was named the new head coach at Clark University yesterday.  His most recent experience was as an assistant at Brown, with a stint at Trinity before that.

https://www.telegram.com/news/20190419/mens-college-basketball-former-brown-assistant-tyler-simms-will-stress-defense-as-clarks-new-coach