WBB: USA South Conference

Started by Mike Stanley, March 09, 2004, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kate

Hello Dave McHugh - my husband and I will be following the MAC, specifically Delaware Valley University for 20 years.  I wish you knew how very much we've appreciated our associations with all our MAC teams, both sides.  Those six schools that left, I'm fairly sure, did so with the "grass is greener on the other side" attitude.  Now, with Catholic and Goucher, they are on that other side.  We hope that they're enjoying their league. We are still very much enjoying our MAC Freedom!

kate

Yesterday I was just a bit taken by surprise to read Dave's MAC comments, but I'd be remiss to not wish the USA South Conference the very best with your new league alignments.  :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

kate - why are you surprised? Outside of the MAC, the view of that conference is not always in a positive light. Many feel it has taken advantage of situations and the NCAA has not been stringent upon forcing the MAC to conform with the rules of Division III per two conferences. There is no other place where two conferences have one overlying executive in charge (though, the ECAC hockey conferences might have had that set-up... but they were truly different conferences with no common conference for other sports; ECAC only existed for those schools for the sport of hockey).

Wasn't there a time when the Commonwealth and Freedom sides would have their division champions play each other for the overall MAC title, yet still have two AQs? I might not be remembering that incorrectly.

Yes, the six schools who left probably did think the grass is greener, but to be honest, I am not hearing them complain in the Landmark Conference. I think they got the situation they actually wanted. The one thing I have not heard is they want to go back to the MAC (while there are schools who want out of their situation and think the MAC will take them). Only two schools have come and gone from the Landmark (Stevens who spent a hot minute in the conference and Merchant Marine) and those reasons were far more internal than conference-wide. Also, the MAC has been a turn-style for schools and programs for much of it's lifetime. Yes, there are a few originals left, but the history and number of teams that have come and gone from the MAC is extensive - granted, being around for 100 years is certainly part of that conversation.

I am not against the MAC in anyway, but it has been a thorn for many outside of the conference. The decision to split the two conferences into two different regions, especially in basketball but also in other sports, was another sign from the NCAA that they want the conferences to literally be two different entities - not two acting groups that are really a single entity.

As it pertains to the USA South - the NCAA has on many occasions pointed out it will no longer give multiple AQs to conferences no matter how big they are or how split up they make them in sports. There are several who play with divisions where two AQs are out of the question. Those conferences do eye the MAC and wonder why they get to keep their two AQs. The NCAA has stressed the MAC conferences have to be more like two different groups, but when you have a common MAC for sports like football and a common executive in charge of the entire system, that becomes difficult. Not sure if the NCAA is done pushing the MAC to make further changes or if one last change may come once Ken Andrews steps down.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

kate

Hello Dave!  Reading this for the first time tonight while watching the Phillies.  I'm going to check the MAC history, re-read your post and respond tomorrow.  Thanks for your answers.

kate

Good morning Dave!  Not really the proper board for this post, but just have to say that I'm tremendously proud of our MAC diversity, both sides.  The NCAA should realize that that is precisely what makes our League strong.  The fact that other schools want to join further accentuates that.  If we were all one conference, we wouldn't have time in any given sport's season to play out of conference teams.  The phrase "like minded", I feel, should never enter into a d3 league premise.  The only "good" that does is for me childishly hoping that we beat the devil out of the teams that have departed :(!  Told you it was childish.  Anyway, that said, I still miss those trips to Scranton.  Above all, no matter what the USA Conference does - GOOD LUCK and fun competition!!!

scottiedoug

Maryville handled unbeaten Emory pretty well after a shaky start. It will take time to adjust to not having Puckett but Maples and Biliter were able to score under duress today.

gcfan33

For any republicans on this site: this  has got to be the least luxurious and interesting  board on this site.  No one cares about their teams.  Too many schools with no fans!  Sad!

And for you democrats: the transformative power of reengineering a fan site for small schools is what brings people together and divides them from this hateful rhetoric.  If you aren't willing to stand up for your teams, what kind of Americans are you?

People are saying: Piedmont  College quietly having big recruiting year.  Details to follow.

scottiedoug

This sire has been uninteresting for people of any political persuasion.  Piedmont beat the wounded Scots this afternoon and makes the people who figure things out have to work a little, unless Averett beats Ferrum tomorrow.   Scots best shooter has been playing hurt lately and did not play at all this weekend.  Beating Piedmont is hard enough if everybody is healthy!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The focus of Division III basketball now turns towards the second Regional Rankings. At the same time, conference regular seasons are wrapping up and the pressure of conference tournaments is increasing.

Teams are still trying to jockey themselves for the chance to keep playing in March, but sometimes focusing on March causes teams to lose focus of the next game. Upsets and trip-ups seem to happen often once Regional Rankings start coming out.

On Sunday night's Hoopsville, Dave chats with teams who are hoping to remain on top of their conference standings and thus eventually punch their ticket automatically to the NCAA tournament. But what about the distractions? What about the pressures? Or has it become somewhat routine for some teams?

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio starting at 7:00 PM ET LIVE. You can watch the show on the official show page here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/feb12 ... or you can watch the live simulcast on Facebook Live. If you miss the show, you can catch-up on Demand or listen to the podcasts (which will be uploaded at the conclusion of the show).

A reminder the Sunday edition of Hoopsville primarily covers the Northeast, Atlantic, South, and Central regions, but we will answer any questions about all of Division III throughout the show. You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

And please consider helping Hoopsville stay on the air like you might help your public television station. The annual fundraising campaign has less than three weeks remaining, but we are no where close to reaching our goal. Click here for more information: Hoopsville Fundraising Page

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Mark Edwards, No. 5 Washington Univ. men's coach
- Mitch Oliver, Albertus Magnus men's coach
- Judy Blinstrub, Babson women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Darrin Travillian, Maryville (Tenn.) women's coach
- Eric McNelley, Eastern men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Fundraiser: https://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser-2017

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

scottiedoug

Maryville is the only USASouth team regionally ranked by the NCAA.  If the Scots do not win the conference tournament, they most likely will get a bid to the NCAA anyway, but it looks like neither Ferrum nor Piedmont is on the radar.

bballlover

Update: Piedmont  showed upin top 10 yesterday.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: bballlover on February 16, 2017, 11:54:11 AM
Update: Piedmont  showed upin top 10 yesterday.

Regional rankings, right? And sadly, that won't get them in the tournament.

bballlover

I agree but, if Piedmont should somehow win the tourney Maryville could still get in.

scottiedoug

I agree that Maryville is likely to get a bid whatever happens next and Piedmont has to win the tournament.  Which I certainly hope does not happen!!  It could, though, and there are a couple more teams (i.e.,  Ferrum) that could win it.  Maryville has some injury issues that will make this interesting.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: scottiedoug on February 16, 2017, 04:49:11 PM
I agree that Maryville is likely to get a bid whatever happens next and Piedmont has to win the tournament.  Which I certainly hope does not happen!!  It could, though, and there are a couple more teams (i.e.,  Ferrum) that could win it.  Maryville has some injury issues that will make this interesting.

I actually think Maryville is in trouble. Their resume is not that strong especially with a weak SOS and while the women tend to not be as harsh with sub.-500 SOS numbers, Maryville is in an area of the regional rankings were at-large bids do not look good.