2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

Quote from: Viking Mike on March 02, 2019, 02:50:25 PM
Of course, if Wooster is the sectional host, Augie would get them next on their home floor.  Doesn't seem right.

Augie would be getting the lowest of the 4 seeds (Wooster) in this scenario. 

Viking Mike

Thanks Bob,

All good thoughts! Seems like there is a whole lot that goes into this sectional selection process!  I think a lot of the Augie fans will be disappointed if the sectional is in Ohio.  The irony may be that the team and fans will have to travel through Fort Wayne in order to get to Wooster.

Hoping NCAA is thinking about the money to be made filling the Carver Center next week.  We had approx 1000 fans for the Capital/Platteville game and
1700 for the Augie/Aurora matchup.  Aurora brought maybe 50 fans tops!  Augie could certainly draw 2000 fans alone each night.  This has to help promote a sectional in RI. 

Other than a Viking win tonight, not sure what to hope for.  It sounds like Oswego State and Wheaton wins tonight would ensure RI sectional.  Even B/W and Wheaton wins may do it (attendance draw @ Augie vs cost of 1 flight)  Very well aware that Wheaton and Francis would be waiting next in the wing.  This frightens me as well.  Lots of anxiety with this NCAA national championship thing!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - let's not assume Wittenberg put in to host the second weekend. I am not sure, but sometimes schools don't get it done for the first weekend they didn't do it for the second weekend either. I know Witt had a gym conflict, but that is always in the back of my head.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Viking Mike

In regard to the rotation of sectional sites, I can see that as being fair.  Would much rather travel to Wooster than Oswego State in Upper NY.
At 830 miles and 12.5 hrs by driving, this is about as far as driving to Salem.  That would really cut off  travel plans for a large Augustana fan contingent!

Even Marrieta OH is about 90% of the way to Salem, VA.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Viking Mike on March 02, 2019, 04:11:03 PM
In regard to the rotation of sectional sites, I can see that as being fair.  Would much rather travel to Wooster than Oswego State in Upper NY.
At 830 miles and 12.5 hrs by driving, this is about as far as driving to Salem.  That would really cut off  travel plans for a large Augustana fan contingent!

Men are headed to Fort Wayne, this year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Viking Mike

Yeah..... I know Final Four is in Fort Wayne.  My point is that a potential sectional would be farther for Viking fans that the Final Four is, and almost as far as when Augie was in Salem in 2015 and 2017.

Titan Q

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 02, 2019, 04:10:21 PM
FYI - let's not assume Wittenberg put in to host the second weekend. I am not sure, but sometimes schools don't get it done for the first weekend they didn't do it for the second weekend either. I know Witt had a gym conflict, but that is always in the back of my head.

It's a moot point. I don't see Wittenberg factoring into the Sectional hosting conversation (based on the likely other 3 teams).

Titan Q

Quote from: Viking Mike on March 02, 2019, 04:48:35 PM
Yeah..... I know Final Four is in Fort Wayne.  My point is that a potential sectional would be farther for Viking fans that the Final Four is, and almost as far as when Augie was in Salem in 2015 and 2017.

I knew what ya meant FWIW. :)

fantastic50

Wooster most recently hosted sectionals in 2011, 2012, and 2013.  In 2011, one of the teams that came to Ohio was #1 Whitworth, but the Scots used the home court advantage to move on to Salem.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Whiparound is live now for anyone who didn't know.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Wooster Booster

Quote from: Viking Mike on March 02, 2019, 04:11:03 PM

Ok.  But that last 10% of the way south is one heck of a road, the scariest stretch of freeway this old soul has ever been on.  I made the trip the last time Wooster was in the Final Four, riding with some fellow fans in a top-heavy SUV thanks to their swelled heads.  My attempts to get them to hold it to 70 on the downhill curves were met with laughter and increased pressure on the accelerator.  Seriously, I don't know how we made it through that roller coaster of a highway.  Streaming video is the way to go.

BobbyO

Austin Elledge has his left hand in a cast. It looks likes he is out for the tournament. Bad break for Augie.

Gregory Sager

He didn't play last night.

I wouldn't call him a major loss for Augustana.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Almost half-time. Swarthmore is up 66-43. They've hit 92%, 23-25 from the field.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

txg

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 02, 2019, 07:52:38 PM
Almost half-time. Swarthmore is up 66-43. They've hit 92%, 23-25 from the field.

94-50.  Still ten minutes to go.  That team is really clicking.