FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

ScreamingEagles

La Crosse Tribune article regarding UWL hiring another assistant coach:

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/uw-l-football-eagles-get-to-hire-more-help/article_1a12e188-bc32-11e2-97fe-001a4bcf887a.html

Biggest thing for me in the article is a transfer QB from MSU-Mankato will be joining the Eagles in the fall.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him start some games this year the way UWL's QBs have played the past few years.
UW-La Crosse

voice

Quote from: ScreamingEagles on May 14, 2013, 11:02:42 AMLa Crosse Tribune article regarding UWL hiring another assistant coach:

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/uw-l-football-eagles-get-to-hire-more-help/article_1a12e188-bc32-11e2-97fe-001a4bcf887a.html

Biggest thing for me in the article is a transfer QB from MSU-Mankato will be joining the Eagles in the fall.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him start some games this year the way UWL's QBs have played the past few years.

After being a dominant football program for 3 1/2 decades (80s, 90s, 2000s) UW-Whitewater beat UWL in La Crosse at UWL in 2005 on the way to its first of seven straight runs to the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl.  La Crosse has yet to recover. 

As an outsider, I have often wondered why.  Being surrounded by an "administration friendly" UWW administration who understands the importance of having a strong, national elite football program who's success has a "trickle down" effect throughout the entire campus.  The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and Janesville Gazette have published stories on the issue.

Today's La Crosse  story makes me wonder just how "administration friendly" is the UW-La Crosse administration?  Has UWL made strides to "keep up with the Jones" in WIAC football?

La Crosse football has operated with the smallest full-time coaching staff in the WIAC for at least a decade.

Former head coach Larry Terry was the only full-timer by the end of his tenure in 2010.

"Looking back on what he had to endure doing it all by himself, I can't imagine that," current UWL head coach Joel Dettwiler said.

Dettwiler had one full-time assistant (offensive coordinator Reed Hoskins) in 2011 and two (Hoskins and defensive line/strength coach Kevin Schultz) in 2012.

By comparison, UW-Whitewater has six full-time assistants, UW-Oshkosh five, UW-Platteville and UW-Eau Claire four and UW-River Falls, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Stout three.

With a sparkling new stadium one wonders why UWL's administration hasn't been more  proactive. 

Just my two cents.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: voice on May 14, 2013, 11:41:59 AM
Quote from: ScreamingEagles on May 14, 2013, 11:02:42 AMLa Crosse Tribune article regarding UWL hiring another assistant coach:

After being a dominant football program for 3 1/2 decades (80s, 90s, 2000s) UW-Whitewater beat UWL in La Crosse at UWL in 2005 on the way to its first of seven straight runs to the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl.  La Crosse has yet to recover. 

As an outsider, I have often wondered why.  Being surrounded by an "administration friendly" UWW administration who understands the importance of having a strong, national elite football program who's success has a "trickle down" effect throughout the entire campus.  The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and Janesville Gazette have published stories on the issue.

Today's La Crosse  story makes me wonder just how "administration friendly" is the UW-La Crosse administration?  Has UWL made strides to "keep up with the Jones" in WIAC football?

La Crosse football has operated with the smallest full-time coaching staff in the WIAC for at least a decade.

Former head coach Larry Terry was the only full-timer by the end of his tenure in 2010.

"Looking back on what he had to endure doing it all by himself, I can't imagine that," current UWL head coach Joel Dettwiler said.

Dettwiler had one full-time assistant (offensive coordinator Reed Hoskins) in 2011 and two (Hoskins and defensive line/strength coach Kevin Schultz) in 2012.

By comparison, UW-Whitewater has six full-time assistants, UW-Oshkosh five, UW-Platteville and UW-Eau Claire four and UW-River Falls, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Stout three.

With a sparkling new stadium one wonders why UWL's administration hasn't been more  proactive. 

Just my two cents.

I bet Harring leaving in 1999 has something to do with it. It's tough to replace a legendary coach and sustain the same success. It seems that soon after Harring's recruits all graduated was when La Crosse started to struggle.

I think that his successors didn't experience the same recruiting success that Harring did. Example: Whitewater was able to lure A.J. Raebel away from La Crosse (as a current poster here once told me  ;D).

ScreamingEagles

It's also important to note that UWL's decline as a football program coincides with its rise as an academic institution.  The administration over the past 10+ years has put a much high importance on improving the schools academic reputation than maintaining/improving the athletic program.  They have been successful with the academic goals, but it has been hard to watch the football team in particular creep back to mediocrity.

Since AD Josh Whitman's arrival in 2011 things have changed drastically and hopefully it will continue.
UW-La Crosse

Brian Carroll

Screaming Eagle's latest post is spot on. UWL has concentrated on improving the academic reputation of the school for the past decade or two, and the athletics aspect has gotten short shrift in the process. SE is correct in pointing to the efforts of AD Josh Whitman as a catalyst for a turn-around in our football fortunes. While I was not surprised to learn that UWL had a much smaller football staff than some other WIAC schools, the revelation that we had the smallest for more than a decade was a real eye-opener. Imagine Larry Terry trying to recruit against much larger staffs in his later years as head coach.  Here are a couple of questions for your response and/or discussion: How do the other schools fund the larger football staffs which they have, and when did the increases take place ? What is a proper appropriation of University resources for Division III programs ? I am inclined to think that having 3 or 4 full time positions would be enough. How many full time positions do the private schools have ? I'll be interested in any of your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: ScreamingEagles on May 14, 2013, 01:16:22 PM
The administration over the past 10+ years has put a much high importance on improving the schools academic reputation

Quote from: Brian Carroll on May 14, 2013, 01:31:32 PM
UWL has concentrated on improving the academic reputation of the school for the past decade or two

It's a good things too!!! Because the WIAC has a lot of catching up to do to gain the respect of these private DIII schools.  ::)   ;)   ;D

bulk19

I've been keeping tabs on the UWL program, too, and echo the sentiments of Screaming Eagle and Brian Carroll...
There have been noticeable positive changes since Josh Whitman's arrival, thanks in part to Coach Terry, to put it bluntly, falling on the sword, so to speak, by retiring to make his point about the coaching staff's small size...
While the football program has suffered, the UWL baseball program has been resuscitated, and the university's athletics program has been busy with its success as a whole by luring in and hosting the D3 wrestling and track and field championships over the past few years, too...

retagent

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 14, 2013, 01:45:51 PM
Quote from: ScreamingEagles on May 14, 2013, 01:16:22 PM
The administration over the past 10+ years has put a much high importance on improving the schools academic reputation

UWL has concentrated on improving the academic reputation of the school for the past decade or two

It's a good things too!!! Because the WIAC has a lot of catching up to do to gain the respect of these private DIII schools.  ::)   ;)   ;D

Thanks 02. I'm sure that was meant for me. Good job!!!

emma17

Screaming Eagle's latest post is spot on. UWL has concentrated on improving the academic reputation of the school for the past decade or two, and the athletics aspect has gotten short shrift in the process. SE is correct in pointing to the efforts of AD Josh Whitman as a catalyst for a turn-around in our football fortunes. While I was not surprised to learn that UWL had a much smaller football staff than some other WIAC schools, the revelation that we had the smallest for more than a decade was a real eye-opener. Imagine Larry Terry trying to recruit against much larger staffs in his later years as head coach.  Here are a couple of questions for your response and/or discussion: How do the other schools fund the larger football staffs which they have, and when did the increases take place ? What is a proper appropriation of University resources for Division III programs ? I am inclined to think that having 3 or 4 full time positions would be enough. How many full time positions do the private schools have ? I'll be interested in any of your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

Good post and questions. I don't have official answers but some thoughts.
First I think we need the definition of a full time position.
I imagine it's not too difficult for UWW to justify the payroll as the revenue increase is easy to measure since 2005. Enrollment is up too. The other WIAC schools should be able to point to UWW's success to justify greater payroll.
As for the appropriate number of full time positions, although I would think you'd use the same review of football related revenue and resulting benefit to the school, I imagine other departments pressure a limit.  Head coach, DC, OC and strength (can be shared) seem like reasonable positions.

footballfan413

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 14, 2013, 12:57:24 PM

Just my two cents.

I bet Harring leaving in 1999 has something to do with it. It's tough to replace a legendary coach and sustain the same success. It seems that soon after Harring's recruits all graduated was when La Crosse started to struggle.

I think that his successors didn't experience the same recruiting success that Harring did. Example: Whitewater was able to lure A.J. Raebel away from La Crosse (as a current poster here once told me   ;D).
And we will be, forever, grateful to Coach Terry, for blowing A.J. off that fateful day at the Perk after scheduling a meeting with him and for never contacting him again afterwards.  :D ;D

Great insight into the reasons for the Eagles decline the last decade, Screaming and Brian.  After seeing the list of the number of full time coaches for each program by Voice, I have the same question as 17.  What constitutes a, "full time coaching position?"  During our time with the program, 2003 to 2007, the only coach I am aware of who was truly full time, as in, only coaching duties, was Coach Brez.  Borland and Zweifel, as the DC and OC, also taught coaching classes for the university and Coach Simpson, as the LB coach, was also an academic counselor just to name a few examples.  Other duties, while being full time with the football program, do not mean, to me anyway, that they are, "full time coaches," in the literal sense of the word.  Do the Warhawks really have 6 full time coaches who do nothing else but football duties because that has never been the case, to my knowledge?  Just wondering if each program, when listing the number of full time coaches are using the same criteria.  Apples to apples is essential when making comparisons. 
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

emma17

Good examples 413
Was Larry Kehres a full time coach?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: emma17 on May 16, 2013, 11:35:22 AM
Good examples 413
Was Larry Kehres a full time coach?

Yes and no - he was (and still is) also the AD.

ScreamingEagles

Quote from: footballfan413 on May 16, 2013, 10:25:02 AM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 14, 2013, 12:57:24 PM

Just my two cents.

I think that his successors didn't experience the same recruiting success that Harring did. Example: Whitewater was able to lure A.J. Raebel away from La Crosse (as a current poster here once told me   ;D).
And we will be, forever, grateful to Coach Terry, for blowing A.J. off that fateful day at the Perk after scheduling a meeting with him and for never contacting him again afterwards.  :D ;D

Great insight into the reasons for the Eagles decline the last decade, Screaming and Brian.  After seeing the list of the number of full time coaches for each program by Voice, I have the same question as 17.  What constitutes a, "full time coaching position?"  During our time with the program, 2003 to 2007, the only coach I am aware of who was truly full time, as in, only coaching duties, was Coach Brez.  Borland and Zweifel, as the DC and OC, also taught coaching classes for the university and Coach Simpson, as the LB coach, was also an academic counselor just to name a few examples.  Other duties, while being full time with the football program, do not mean, to me anyway, that they are, "full time coaches," in the literal sense of the word.  Do the Warhawks really have 6 full time coaches who do nothing else but football duties because that has never been the case, to my knowledge?  Just wondering if each program, when listing the number of full time coaches are using the same criteria.  Apples to apples is essential when making comparisons.

If full time coaches mean only football duties, then the Eagles (and I'm sure other WIAC schools) only have 1 in Coach Dettwiler.  All of the other coaches are split football with some other teaching/strength coaching duties.  I consider a full time coach one that is full time at the university, not necessarily only football duties which is how the LAX Tribune writer referred to them as well.  Simply having coaches on campus permanently is a great thing for UWL even if they aren't just football coaches, I know that the assistants under Coach Terry had a wide range of "day jobs" and made it to campus each day just in time for practice.
UW-La Crosse

02 Warhawk

More on Blanchard at Bears' minicamp. I found this on the Chicago Bears website, where people can write in questions to ask Bears beat writer, Larry Mayer:

Q: I read a lot about young quarterback Matt Blanchard after rookie minicamp. Do you think he has made a lot of progress since he first joined the Bears a year ago?

A: Yes, I think that Matt Blanchard has shown a lot of improvement since he first signed with the Bears following last year's rookie minicamp. Even though a new coaching staff is in place, I'm sure he's more comfortable being a pro in terms of knowing what to expect in practice and meetings. On the field, Blanchard seems to be throwing the ball with more zip and making quick decisions. The Bears didn't want to release him from the practice squad late last season (but had to due to injuries at other positions) and feel fortunate that they were able to re-sign him in January. Blanchard throws with no wasted motion and tossed some nice deep balls during rookie minicamp to Terrence Toliver and Dale Moss.