BB: LL: Liberty League

Started by John McGraw, March 11, 2007, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3d3d3

RPI is appealing. Let's see what happens.

OldBallsHenry

Appeal denied but Union bailed them out by sweeping Vassar.

John McGraw

Quote from: OldBallsHenry on May 11, 2016, 04:11:31 PM
Appeal denied but Union bailed them out by sweeping Vassar.

RPI helped its own cause by sweeping SLU on the final day as well.

djm222ball

Union went 3-0 in the league tournament to advance to the NCAA regional

d3d3d3

Bard HC left for assistant job at Holy Cross. Vassar HC left for Bates.

UfanBill

I'm not sure if anyone even reads this board since the last post was 6 weeks ago but I would like to discuss the Liberty League scheduling. While I'm sure that scheduling has probably been discussed previously, I'm not prepared to search back and I feel an update is in order anyway...           If you're on the Liberty League baseball thread you probably know That the LL plays an unbalanced schedule. There are currently nine schools fielding baseball teams in LL play. WHY ??? is it that the nine teams only play league match-ups against six of the other teams? Each season, each team does NOT play two other league opponents! While there may be a legitimate reason, it makes no sense to me. How can you sort out the top four teams for the post season championship tournament and the coveted NCAA tourney bid, when some of the teams haven't played each other? I know the LL tournament is supposed to sort that out but what if teh best four teams don't even make the tourney? For example, this year Union does not play St. Lawrence and RIT, usually two of the stronger teams in the league while rival RPI does not play Bard and Skidmore. Then rainouts often cancel key games that usually cannot be rescheduled. It seems that every year when the last weekend of the regular season comes, there are arguments about just who are the best four teams. Is it fair that one team may have four wins against a weak sister that the other team didn't even get a chance to play? I think with nine league members it should be fundamental that every team plays every other team every season.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

d3d3d3

An excellent point.

Ithaca joins next year, bringing the total number of teams to 10, and you'd have to expect divisional play.

Remember, too, that the Liberty League isn't keen on student-athletes missing much class, hence the weekend doubleheaders, and the rare weekday makeups.

Bishopleftiesdad

The NCAC has had divisional play for years. But many years the two divisions are unbalanced, with the best team in the conference in a division, with 3 of the weaker teams, and the other division have arguably teams 2-4 some years. All conference games were DH's on Saturday and Sunday.
Next year they finally worked out a round robin schedule.
Divisions do not always make for balances play.

d3d3d3

Of course divisional play doesn't guarantee balance for the playoffs. That's true in professional baseball, too. But it will at least stop this practice of skipping teams on a rotating basis.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: UfanBill on April 11, 2017, 12:57:35 PM
I'm not sure if anyone even reads this board since the last post was 6 weeks ago

Well I read every post in all boards and it appears I am not the only one right Bishopleftiesdad?

Bishopleftiesdad

I read many, but I do not think I can compete with every post.

D3SportsFan

There are 2 different scenarios going around about Ithaca, so any clarification is appreciated:

1. Ithaca will be playing an LL conference schedule starting next year (2018)

2. Ithaca will remain in the E8 conference schedule for baseball only, other sports will be LL.

Bombers798891

Quote from: D3SportsFan on April 13, 2017, 01:22:31 PM
There are 2 different scenarios going around about Ithaca, so any clarification is appreciated:

1. Ithaca will be playing an LL conference schedule starting next year (2018)

2. Ithaca will remain in the E8 conference schedule for baseball only, other sports will be LL.

Ithaca will play in the LL in all sports but wrestling and gymnastics

d3d3d3

Ithaca has finally joined the Liberty League in baseball. That gives the conference 10 teams, which means divisional play.

LL East
Bard, RPI, Skidmore, Union, Vassar

LL West
Clarkson, Ithaca, RIT, Rochester, St. Lawrence

Instead of four-game conference weekends, series will be three games - doubleheader Saturday (9, 7 innings), single game Sunday (9).