BB: West Region Independents

Started by Ralph Turner, December 30, 2005, 02:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Until a volunteer steps forward, I will keep this board going.  (The ASC is in the West Region).  The West Region Independents in 2005 included:

--Cal State University-East Bay, (formerly known as CSU-Hayward),
--Chapman,
--Menlo and
--UDallas.

Here is one other hyperlink that may contain material that can help us.

Association of DIII Independents --
http://www.d3independents.org/

cawcdad

Ralph Turner

Thanks for posting the links, cawcdad!

:D :D :D  Neither NCAA nor I knew that CSU-Hayward had renamed itself!   :D :D :D

cawcdad

The change has been a gradual process over the last couple of years, for those of us who are so familiar with calling the school Hayward State.  ;D

That is an interesting link. The organization has CSU-Eastbay on their basketball stat list, yet Eastbay plays hoops in the NAIA-2 Cal Pacific Conference, along with Menlo. Both of these schools have dual membership. Menlo is NCAA D-III for football and baseball, NAIA for all others. Eastbay is NCAA D-III for baseball and NAIA for the others.

rbaikie

CAWCDAD -

just a note so we aren't too sexist - Menlo is also D3 for women's softball.

ScrappyMcTavish

One things that has always iritated me was that Chapman was an independent even thought they are in the middle os all the SCIAC schools. Not to take anything away from what they have accomplished, but they play most of the SCIAC schools and pound them, maybe due to the SCIAC schools saving their pitchers for the conference games on weekend and Chapman throwing their #1,2, or 3 at them. I always feel bad for Cal Lutheran. Pomona-Pitzer, Laverne, etc if they have to play Chapman on a Tuesday and Chapman throws there top while the SCIAC schools throw there #4,5 and 6 to save arms for the conference games.

I will admit that Chapman plays a brutal schedule this year, but it seems unfair to compare them at tourney time to school that do not get a fair shake against them during the season.

Does anybody have insight as to why Chapman does not join the SCIAC? CSU-Eastbay is obvious as there are no other D3s near them other than Menlo.

rbaikie

I don't know if it has been that the SCIAC didn't want Chapman as a member or Chapman wanted to remain independent, but there have been a couple of factors as well -

Chapman was D1 in baseball for sometime until the rules went into effeect that stated for the most part (some exceptions like Colorado College and Hockey) you couldn't be D1 in one or more sports and D3 in others. Chapman decided to go all D3, but they had a number of players who they had recruited that stayed at the school (I would assume under the new guidelines) so they did pound some teams during that transition.

Also, I noted elsewhere on these boards that when Chapman reinstated football, some bad blood developed with a lot of schools that they played (not just SCIAC) because of their wholesale recruiting of players from discotinued programs (CSU-Fullerton) and then their tendency to  try to run up the score.

All this took place in the late 80's and early 90's so I don't know that it still impacts relations -

Ralph Turner

Scrappy, Chapman has done well in Pool B.  Please review the 2005 Handbook to check the Pool B competition last year.

When the 2006 Handbook comes out, we can list the Pool B conferences and independents.

Olinemom

Quote from: ScrappyMcTavish on January 13, 2006, 03:52:07 PM
One things that has always iritated me was that Chapman was an independent even thought they are in the middle os all the SCIAC schools. Not to take anything away from what they have accomplished, but they play most of the SCIAC schools and pound them, maybe due to the SCIAC schools saving their pitchers for the conference games on weekend and Chapman throwing their #1,2, or 3 at them. I always feel bad for Cal Lutheran. Pomona-Pitzer, Laverne, etc if they have to play Chapman on a Tuesday and Chapman throws there top while the SCIAC schools throw there #4,5 and 6 to save arms for the conference games.

I will admit that Chapman plays a brutal schedule this year, but it seems unfair to compare them at tourney time to school that do not get a fair shake against them during the season.

Does anybody have insight as to why Chapman does not join the SCIAC? CSU-Eastbay is obvious as there are no other D3s near them other than Menlo.

I think Chapman is the real deal.  They can flat out play.  They pound any and all comers.  I know, because they pounded the crap out of us when we played them last year.  It hurt a lot!!!  I didn't realize that they were independent however, I figured they were in with all the other schools you mentioned because they are the schools we usually play when we come out to CA.
Brownies for Film Day--Now there's a Slogan I can live with!!!:)  Go EAGLES!

cawcdad

Menlo won their first two games of the season in a split double header Saturday, beating The Master's College 14 - 12 in the first game and Patten College 4 - 2 in the second game.

Chapman took two of three from Cal Lutheren in a season opening series. Chapman won 7 - 3 on Friday and then split the Saturday double header, losing the first game 11 - 10 and taking the second 6 - 4.

The University of Dallas has started the season 3 - 0 in sweepeing Hendrix College. They swept a Saturday double header winning 13 - 10 and 9 - 6. On Sunday Dallas won 20 - 3.

Cal State East Bay split their season opening double header Friday with The Master's College, winning the first game 5 - 1 and losing the second 11 - 5.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 30, 2005, 02:16:21 AM

--Cal State University-Hayward,
--Cal State University-East Bay,
--Chapman,
--Menlo and
--UDallas.

One of the biggest problems the West Region independents face is having #4 Chapman in their region. Will the NCAA select two independent teams from the same region? It looks like the West is loaded again this year and ALL 4 schools have quality teams. Dallas always does well... Chapman and CSU_Eastbay are both off to good starts.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

rbaikie

Menlo is off to a good start as well. Watch out for them, they have more depth than ever, especially at pitcher.

Ralph Turner

I checked the UDallas schedule and it is favorably constructed to get a Pool B bid.

They play 17 20 West Region games.

From the SCAC, they have swept Hendrix, picked to finish 5th in the SCAC West.
They also have a DH vs. Southwestern which got 1 first place vote and is picked to finish 3rd in the SCAC-West.

From the ASC-West, they play 2 games against Howard Payne, and 2 DH's vs. Schreiner.  HPU is predicted to finish 6th (a strong 6th IMHO) and SU 7th.

From the ASC-East, they have Sat/Sun DH's against Austin College, the 8th pick in the ASC-East.

The remaining 2 5 West Region games are against Menlo in 2 single games and 3 against CSU-East Bay.  They skip Chapman.

I think that they will need to finish no worse than 14-3 16-4 to get a Pool B bid. Their QOWI may not be too strong.  They do not play any of the other Texas powers like UT-Dallas, East Texas Baptist, Texas Lutheran, Concordia-Austin or McMurry or the SCAC's Trinity.

BigPoppa

Ralph... thaks for the research. It is very conceivable that the West could get two independent bids... especially with the expansion of the NCAA tourney this year.(I am assuming that Chapman is almost a lock for the tourney)

It will be very interesting to see where the extra bids come from this season.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

Big Poppa, I missed the UDallas CSU-East Bay 3 games series!  My bad.  I edited the previous post!