2013 West Regional - Austin Tx

Started by 108 Stitches, May 12, 2013, 04:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Something funny happened to the UT-T paragraph in editing, Ralph:

QuoteTexas-Tyler has been knocking of the door for a while and although they have been in position to make it through the regional, they are still ifor their first appearance in the D-III World Series. First-year coach Chris Bertrand has a team that once again will be a strong contender but that will be

Thanks for the preview! 

Other than a 50-50 chance of some rain tomorrow during the day the weather should be good for the regional.  It will get hot towards the weekend with highs rounding into seasonal norms (upper 80's-low 90's). 

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 14, 2013, 01:32:10 PM
Something funny happened to the UT-T paragraph in editing, Ralph:

QuoteTexas-Tyler has been knocking of the door for a while and although they have been in position to make it through the regional, they are still ifor their first appearance in the D-III World Series. First-year coach Chris Bertrand has a team that once again will be a strong contender but that will be

Thanks for the preview! 

Other than a 50-50 chance of some rain tomorrow during the day the weather should be good for the regional.  It will get hot towards the weekend with highs rounding into seasonal norms (upper 80's-low 90's).

Uh-oh... just waiting for someone to mention that it should have been held in sunny SoCal ;)
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BamColt

Austin TX is basically like being in California. One of the best cities to visit in the U.S.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: BamColt on May 14, 2013, 02:22:16 PM
Austin TX is basically like being in California. One of the best cities to visit in the U.S.

I certainly don't mind visiting ATX, but ideologically I couldn't live in a place that blue (especially in Texas) or so overrun with Hipsters. And don't get me started on the MOPAC/I-35 traffic situation.

JSG

Patriotfan87

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on May 14, 2013, 02:25:44 PM

I certainly don't mind visiting ATX, but ideologically I couldn't live in a place that blue (especially in Texas) or so overrun with Hipsters. And don't get me started on the MOPAC/I-35 traffic situation.

JSG
I'll second that. It's a little blue for my tastes too. Nearby San Antonio is also a great place to visit for those of you coming from out of state.

Gray Fox

Pomona is the bluest of the teams.  That should help them.
A couple of the other team wear purple. :P
Fierce When Roused

Whatagame

...except there's no beaches, mountains, deserts, etc.....!!

Patriotfan87

Quote from: Whatagame on May 14, 2013, 03:18:01 PM

There is also no state tax and no unemployment rates in double digits.

playball

Quote from: Westside4 on May 13, 2013, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: playball on May 13, 2013, 08:56:54 PM
What type of playing surface will be in play for the regional?  If it is anything like the McMurray field of a couple years ago, I don't think Linfield will fair very well.  Their pitching really induces a lot of ground balls and choppers which is very beneficial on the soft turf at Linfield (Ball really dies when chopped vs. launching 30 ft in the air for an infield hit).  I'm not trying to say that the field determines who wins, but a soft ground/turf field would greatly benefit this year's Linfield chances

Two of Linfield's three starters are fly ball pitchers, so I am not sure where you are getting that information from. And their infield is definitely the strong point of their defense. Of course, turf helps any team defensively...

I also don't think they will overlook anyone in this tournament. Getting smashes by LC State a week ago was definitely an eye-opener. Anyone can beat them on any given day, but that team will have to play its best ball.

Three teams ranked in the top 10... It is a bummer I will miss most of these games due to work.

Seeing your post made me go back and recheck the stats provided by the Linfield site.  Zach Brandon has more groundouts than fly outs, but only by 6 so its pretty much a wash.  Thomassen has a 1.3 flyout to groundout ratio, while Haddeland has a .4 (50 flyouts to 138 groundouts!!)  And overall as a staff the team has more groundouts than flyouts which means that they are overall a team that pitches lower in the strikezone or mixing off speed pitches effectively which both induce groundballs, both are signs of good pitching!  The quality of infielders was not being questioned.  The hops at McMurray were so large that the ball would be A)would reach a height that when it would come down it would be too late to make a play or B) be chopped over infielders heads because the ground was so hard.

You may want to find your own stats to back up your critique.

I'm still not saying that the playing surface is the make or break point of Linfield's chances.  Just that when it comes to tournament time, any small advantage/disadvantage can make a big difference.

I think you are sleeping on the quality of the Linfield outfield as well.  Those kids can fly and have a lot of experience.

LC State, oh well.

Go Cats!

Texas Leaguer

Quote from: Patriotfan87 on May 14, 2013, 03:26:51 PM

There is also no state tax and no unemployment rates in double digits.

Ouch...  There is Lake Travis (scenery can be just as good), it's in the tiny mountain (hill) country, and they have deserts (they're just covered with grass)...  People visiting the Austin area should have a great time.  The OC is a great destination for a regional as well though.

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

How about a little David Allen Coe and some Jerry Jeff Walker music.

David Allan Coe; You Never Even Called Me By My Name  The perfect country and western song!

Jerry Jeff Walker; Desperados waiting for a train

The story behind Ray Wylie Hubbard; Redneck Mother

Redneck Mother

Gary P Nunn; London Homesick Blues

Some Austin City Limits.

Best Idea yet!

Ron Boerger to play the National Anthem  on his horn!

Texas Leaguer

Jerry Jeff just so happens to be in town Friday and Saturday night at the historic Gruene Hall.  Only a short hour drive down I35 from Concordia.  The champion should be crowned by 7.  Plenty of time to head south, grab a bite to eat at the Gristmill and experience the 'countrier' side of things! 

http://www.gruenehall.com/
http://www.gristmillrestaurant.com/

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Texas Leaguer on May 14, 2013, 04:27:35 PM
Jerry Jeff just so happens to be in town Friday and Saturday night at the historic Gruene Hall.  Only a short hour drive down I35 from Concordia.  The champion should be crowned by 7.  Plenty of time to head south, grab a bite to eat at the Gristmill and experience the 'countrier' side of things! 

http://www.gruenehall.com/
http://www.gristmillrestaurant.com/

Only change I'd make is that I'd eat at Gruene River Grill:
http://www.gruenerivergrill.com/‎

Less touristy, more delicious. The shrimp wontons are one of the best appetizers I've ever had.

JSG

CrashDavisD3

and the fields and the people have REAL GRASS not the artificial stuff  8-)
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html