FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Quote from: bashgiant on October 08, 2014, 04:05:20 PM
For those who voted for DePauw. Who have they beat or what have they done that would make them a 10 spot? I don't know a whole lot about D3 outside the NCAC, but, it seems like a little bit of a stretch that they would beat Franklin and didn't Ohio Northern hang pretty close with Heidelberg even though the score was like 100 to 90 or something like that. Just curious.
GO BASH!!!!

You can ask that question about ANY team below Heidelberg and Wheaton.

I've voted for RHIT since that 'fun' game against Illinois College, as I think they can beat Franklin and MSJ.  Franklin's madcap scramble to beat Manchester didn't sit well in many of our eyes.

I'm still leery of MSJ after Millsaps beat them. Millsaps lost to second-year in existence Hendrix to fall to 1-3. That's...not good.

Though, it may turn out that Hendrix could go undefeated year two, and wouldn't that be a kick in the head??? They do have the play Centre and Rhodes, still...

DPU3619

Quote from: bashgiant on October 08, 2014, 04:05:20 PM
For those who voted for DePauw. Who have they beat or what have they done that would make them a 10 spot? I don't know a whole lot about D3 outside the NCAC, but, it seems like a little bit of a stretch that they would beat Franklin and didn't Ohio Northern hang pretty close with Heidelberg even though the score was like 100 to 90 or something like that. Just curious.
GO BASH!!!!

Franklin had a really bad result against a bad football team on Saturday. That was kinda the final straw with me for them. And I'm the guy that always ranks Franklin higher than everybody else. If Franklin beats Manchester by 1, they aren't beating DePauw. Good Franklin beats DePauw, but we don't see much of good Franklin anymore.

ONU has two losses to two teams higher in the poll. DePauw has one loss to one team higher in the poll. Therefore, I don't think I'm reaching by saying DePauw should be ranked ahead.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on October 08, 2014, 12:15:13 PM
Somebody needs to keep winning because I'm tired of doing math for 15 teams. NRFP:

1. Mount Union                  80 pts (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
2. Wabash                         67 pts (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5)
3. John Carroll                   66 pts (2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4)
4. Wittenberg                    54 pts (3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6)
5. North Central                49 pts (3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6)
6. Wheaton                       44 pts (4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6)
7. Heidelberg                    27 pts (7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 10)
8. Chicago                        17 pts (7, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10, -)
9. Rose-Hulman                13 pts (8, 8, 8, 9, 10, 10, -, -)
T10. DePauw                      7 pts (9, 9, 9, 10, -, -, -, -)
T10. Mount St Joseph          7 pts (7, 8, -, -, -, -, -, -)

ARV
Franklin                             3 pts  (8, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Illinois Wesleyan                 2 pts  (9, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Albion                                2 pts  (9, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Adrian                                1 pt   (10, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Ohio Northern                     1 pt   (10, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)

The Fan Poll is voted on by FCGrizzliesGrad, Li'l Giant, smedindy, NCF, wally_wabash, USee, Mr. Ypsi, and myself.
We can tell you're tired of doing math... cause there's 16 teams this week ;)

At the moment, I think I'd still take Franklin to beat Rose or MSJ but I'm a lot less confident than in previous years. Franklin did have a stumble last year when they lost at Bluffton 24-17 on a TD in the final minute while no other HCAC team got within 28 points. My hope is that last week was a similar situation and they'll bounce back and crush the rest of the conference but at this point nothing would surprise me. I did give the nod to RHIT because they're undefeated and at this point not many can say that in the North.

On my top 25 ballot I have NCC at 11, Witt 12, Wabash 13 so while it looks like I'm still hating on Wabash from just a north perspective I'm not that far out of line overall. Speaking of the Top 25... the fan poll has Wabash/John Carroll flipped as well as Witt/NCC
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

wally_wabash

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on October 08, 2014, 12:15:13 PM
Somebody needs to keep winning because I'm tired of doing math for 15 teams. NRFP:

1. Mount Union                  80 pts (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
2. Wabash                         67 pts (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5)
3. John Carroll                   66 pts (2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4)
4. Wittenberg                    54 pts (3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 6)
5. North Central                49 pts (3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6)
6. Wheaton                       44 pts (4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6)
7. Heidelberg                    27 pts (7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 10)
8. Chicago                        17 pts (7, 7, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10, -)
9. Rose-Hulman                13 pts (8, 8, 8, 9, 10, 10, -, -)
T10. DePauw                      7 pts (9, 9, 9, 10, -, -, -, -)
T10. Mount St Joseph          7 pts (7, 8, -, -, -, -, -, -)

ARV
Franklin                             3 pts  (8, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Illinois Wesleyan                 2 pts  (9, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Albion                                2 pts  (9, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Adrian                                1 pt   (10, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Ohio Northern                     1 pt   (10, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)

A lot to get to here.  First, my top 6 are unchanged from last week.  A week ago I had given thought to moving JCU ahead of Wabash but let it ride for a week.  Had I done that, we'd have wound up back with Wabash and JCU 2 and 3 this week anyway.  I'm not willing to give North Central a pass for losing to a team that nearly lost to River Falls, so they'll continue to sit behind Wheaton and the rest of the undefeateds (most of them anyway) until they force something seismic. 

Now for the rest.  I had put Chicago in last week, so it was pretty easy to move them up three spots after IWU, Adrian, and Franklin all (essentially) lost.  Then it was a matter of deciding on three more teams.  I've had an eye on RHIT and DePauw for a couple of weeks now, so they slid in.  Why RHIT instead of MSJ?  MSJ lost to Millsaps who had ETBU hang a sixty burger on them.  Millsaps has also now lost to Hendrix who has been playing football in the modern era for all of 13 months.  In fact, MSJ is the only team Millsaps has beaten.  Don't be that team.  On top of all of that, the dude who accounts for the most offense in Division III is a Fightin' Enginner (are they still Fightin'?  were they ever Fightin'?). 

On DePauw and in response bashgiant who wonders why DePauw and not Franklin...Franklin lost to IWU who has since week 1 done nothing to engender good feelings about the quality of that team.  IWU may not be as good as we thought they were in August.  In fact, they may not be very good at all.  It's hard to make a convincing counterpoint to that when the Titans are wearing a 20-10 home loss to Carthage.  On top of losing that game, Franklin also just got done losing to Manchester with 2 minutes left before needing a TD, a deuce, AND dodging a make-able FG at the end to survive Manchester.  Manchester.  On the other hand, DePauw is 3-1, they have flat out handled their opponents in the three wins and if they can just not fumble six times against Wittenberg, they were going toe to toe with the Witt Tigers in Springfield- under the lights which is an odd situation because DePauw doesn't do night games.  (side note- how come Wabash never draws one of these night games over in Ohio?  Do we not sign off on an evening start time?  I'm not complaining...Saturday afternoons are fine, I just think it's odd that Wabash never ever gets under the lights on the road in league play).  Now, and I'm going to break my rule that 2014's rankings include 2014 players, teams, and game results, but if we want to go back to the last 10 games these two teams have played, DePauw is 7-3 and has only lost to Witt, Wabash, and Wooster whereas Franklin is 6-4 and while two of those are Whitewater games, they've lost the Bluffton Beavers, nearly lost to Manchester, and lost to an IWU team that might not actually be very good.  Can I say that Franklin is a slam dunk right now to beat DePauw?  I cannot.  Franklin may very well beat DePauw if they played tomorrow, but there's no certainty there.  Franklin has been inconsistent dating back to last October. 

And one more note on DePauw before I put a bow on my ballot for this week- they're coming.  I think bashgiant asked an honest question about a team that he's seen Wabash beat to smithereens for the last 5 years.  And for a couple of those years, DePauw was BAD.  They aren't bad anymore.  They're playing good ball, they've beaten three teams in 2014 that they lost to in 2013 and quite frankly I think they're now a favorite in every game they'll play the rest of the way until week 11.  Lynch flipped that thing around about a year quicker than I thought he could. 

And then finally, my 10th team is Heidelberg, which I don't like but I already mentioned that they would probably wind up back in my ten as a result of attrition.  I just didn't think it would only take one week for 3 of the top ten to lose.  Thought they'd space that out a bit more.  Anyway, I'll certainly give Heidelberg fair consideration as we play out the next month here, but I hope to avoid an unintentional creep to Heidelberg in my ballot.  Aside from beating Mount Union, I don't think Heidelberg can do anything to improve their position much, whereas many teams around and below them have big games against quality teams and can get results that may see a lot of leapfrogging back and forth around Heidelberg. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

DPU3619

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 09, 2014, 12:11:22 AM
On top of all of that, the dude who accounts for the most offense in Division III is a Fightin' Enginner (are they still Fightin'?  were they ever Fightin'?). 

If you ask the former voice of the Engineers, John Sherman, yes to both questions. He's now an Assistant AD at Indiana State. Used to have a good time with that guy at the SCAC basketball and baseball tourneys back in my WGRE days.

bashgiant

Great responses on ranking DePauw! After doing a little research(which I have very little time to do) I would think Ohio Northern would be ranked a little bit higher even though they have lost 2. 1)The lost to Heidelberg 69-52 in what I thought at first was a basketball score 2) A lost to John Carroll 17-10 who is ranked 3rd in this fan poll.
I really know zero about Baldwin Wallace or  Washington (Mo.) but they were both victories on the road so that should count for a little something I would think. So what say you about Ohio Northern? Again I appreciate all the great responses as they are fast track education for me on the North Region.
GO BASH!

wally_wabash

ONU was sexier when they had that road win against 2013 playoff team WashU instead if that road win against 1-4 and has only beat North Park in 2014 WashU.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

USee

69 points vs Heidelberg? No thanks

smedindy

Looks like RHIT is going to slip out of the rankings...

bashgiant

Never mind about Ohio Northern.

smedindy

I threw a dart for #10. Considered Otterbein, Franklin, MSJ, Adrian, Trine, RHIT, IWU...

I think the OAC has a big drop between 3 and 4. That's a bit unusual...

USee

For those of you who weren't watching, all Simpson has done since beating IWU 3 weeks ago is go 0-2, losing to Buena Vista (its not a vacation destination) and 2-3 Dubuque (by 34).

Mr. Ypsi

My ballot this week was identical to last week, except for flipping JCU and Wabash at 2 and 3.  On my national ballot last week I had Wabash in front, but for some reason put JCU in front on the regional ballot.

Li'l Giant

My ballot was identical this week as well.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

smedindy

I flopped JCU and Witt. Too high on the Old Tigers...