FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

I made some significant changes to my ballot this week.

NCF

My top five stayed the same, but the bottom five....... changed, yet again. :P :P
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

wally_wabash

Some changes for me, I wouldn't call it wholesale though. 

Also might cobble together a first look at the at-large situation sometime later this week.  Everybody is halfway through at this point so let the rampant speculation begin. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

USee

I am going to avoid the Christmas rush and post my poll now (Sorry Wes)

my top 10 for Oct 12:

UMU
Bash
JCU
NCC
Witt
Wheaton
Heidelberg
Univ of Chicago
Mt St Joe
Depauw

I kept my top 3, dropped Wheaton to 6th and bumped NCC from 6th to 4th. Wheaton had 35 yds (all rushing) in the second half @Augie in a game they were losing. Their defense was very good or I would have dropped them further. They have issues at QB. Witt was unimpressive and NCC continues to roll no matter who they put at QB so I don't see Wheaton as any kind of favorite a week from Saturday when they play. Heidi stayed at 7 and I swapped Univ of Chicago and Mt St Joes. I saw U of C's victory @Trinity as a slight validation of their defense so I gave them the nod. the battle I have been waiting for on my MTSJ pick is this week (v Franklin). I kicked RHIT out and added Depauw. I thought about putting Depauw as high as 8th but chose to wait and see but I suspect they will win out before the Monon game. 

Mr. Ypsi

DPU3619

Here's the poll. Gotta get in 'em in early if you want it early. Just the nature of my schedule. Sorry gang. If I don't have them by Tuesday, it won't get up until late Thurs/early Fri.

1. Mount Union                    80 pts (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
2. Wabash                            69 pts (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4)
3. John Carroll                      66 pts (2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3)
4. Wittenberg                       52 pts (4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6)
5. North Central                   51 pts (3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6)
6. Wheaton                          40 pts (5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7)
7. Heidelberg                       30 pts (6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9)
8. Chicago                           20 pts (7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, -)
9. DePauw                           13 pts (8, 8, 8, 9, 10, 10, -, -)
10. Mount St Joseph             9 pts (7, 9, 10, 10, 10, -, -, -)

ARV
Franklin                                 3 pts (8, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Illinois Wesleyan                   2 pts (9, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Albion                                   2 pts (9, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Trine                                     2 pts (10, 10, -, -, -, -, -, -)
Adrian                                   1 pt  (10, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)

NRFP is voted on by smedindy, Li'l Giant, NCF, wally_wabash, USee, FCGrizzliesGrad, Mr. Ypsi, and myself.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on October 17, 2014, 01:57:41 AM
Here's the poll. Gotta get in 'em in early if you want it early. Just the nature of my schedule. Sorry gang. If I don't have them by Tuesday, it won't get up until late Thurs/early Fri.

ARV

NRFP is voted on by smedindy, Li'l Giant, NCF, wally_wabash, USee, FCGrizzliesGrad, Mr. Ypsi, and myself.
Starting to get some clarity... we've gone from 16 teams receiving votes to just 15 :D
Astute readers will note that I finally swapped Wabash and Witt. But if you're upset that you can't be upset about that, you can still complain about them being behind NCC.
DePauw would be my #11
With Chicago most likely losing, hopefully Franklin gets the win Saturday to really jumble the rankings yet again at the bottom ;)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

bashgiant

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on October 17, 2014, 01:57:41 AM

ARV

I don't know a whole lot about D3 other than the NCAC but it seems to me that Witts lack of a running game(only 774yds to date) that they would be hard pressed to keep pace with Heidelberg's offensive scoring machine. Has North Central really fallen off that much this year?

wally_wabash

Quote from: bashgiant on October 17, 2014, 05:44:42 AM
I don't know a whole lot about D3 other than the NCAC but it seems to me that Witts lack of a running game(only 774yds to date) that they would be hard pressed to keep pace with Heidelberg's offensive scoring machine. Has North Central really fallen off that much this year?

Heidelberg likes to make a whole lot of bad teams look really bad.  But when the lights go on and it's go time, they don't look all that special.  Over and over again in the last few seasons, we've seen Heidelberg's offense go full turtle as soon they play somebody good. 

I've seen Witt sleepwalk through September before, have a result or two that makes you think that they've taken a step backward and then they go and win the league.  In 2012 they had narrow, unappealing wins against Wooster and CWRU, then lost to Wabash, then destroyed everybody until snow and injuries got them in the second round at Hobart (included in that run was a monster comeback against previously mentioned Heidelberg...one more instance of Heidelberg getting really small when the stakes go way up).  Witt's got a new OC this year, some new offensive personnel...some of what we're seeing might be that adjustment, some of it might be keeping things close before the games get big here in the second half (starting tomorrow).  My hunch is that Witt will have the pump primed when November rolls around. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on October 17, 2014, 02:38:48 AM
With Chicago most likely losing, hopefully Franklin gets the win Saturday to really jumble the rankings yet again at the bottom ;)

A question here: if Chicago loses to a team that you're expecting them to lose to, why would that be cause for them to fall in the rankings?

"7th-ranked-in-the-North" Chicago losing to "4th-ranked-in-the-West" Bethel (presumably, based on the Top 25, as of today the West RR's would be something like UWW, Linfield, Wartburg, Bethel) would be a perfectly normal result.  If they get curbstomped, I would understand dropping them, but why would someone drop an undefeated team that falls to 5-1 with a loss to a higher-ranked opponent below other teams (absent a big result from one of those teams, like a win over a higher-ranked opponent)?

I know that this happens in polls all the time - I'm already anticipating the inevitable drop of John Carroll in the national polls from #7ish to #11ish if they lose to Mount Union - but it's dumb.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

smedindy

I wouldn't drop Chicago out against Bethel unless it was reminiscent of a Mt. Union - Muskingum game.

BashDad

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on October 17, 2014, 11:21:39 AM

A question here: if Chicago loses to a team that you're expecting them to lose to, why would that be cause for them to fall in the rankings?

"7th-ranked-in-the-North" Chicago losing to "4th-ranked-in-the-West" Bethel (presumably, based on the Top 25, as of today the West RR's would be something like UWW, Linfield, Wartburg, Bethel) would be a perfectly normal result.  If they get curbstomped, I would understand dropping them, but why would someone drop an undefeated team that falls to 5-1 with a loss to a higher-ranked opponent below other teams (absent a big result from one of those teams, like a win over a higher-ranked opponent)?

I know that this happens in polls all the time - I'm already anticipating the inevitable drop of John Carroll in the national polls from #7ish to #11ish if they lose to Mount Union - but it's dumb.

Co-sign.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: BashDad on October 17, 2014, 01:58:45 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on October 17, 2014, 11:21:39 AM

Co-sign.
Sometimes it's not who a team loses to, but the fact that they lost. I can't speak for others but often it's when a team loses that I pay extra attention and reevaluate where I think they should be ranked. Doesn't mean they're automatically dropping a certain number of spots, but it is a perfect time to look back at how their season has been and compare to the teams around them.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

BashDad

USee

I would be very, very surprised to see Bethel lose at home to Chicago tomorrow. The level of physicality the Royals play with is way, way above anything Chicago will have seen. They are obviously good and playing well under a new coaching staff, I am also sure Chicago has some skill players that will match up well with the Royals but the depth and experience of Bethel will most likely overwhelm the Maroons. Upsets happen but I don't think this will be one of them.