MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.w. mcnickels

I'd say Rhoades over Byers.  I only saw each player a few times, but Rhoades was a better floor general and more complete player.  He got better when the game was on the line.  Panko was a forward so it's hard to compare him with the two guards, but he was a phenomenal talent that you don't usually find in D-III.  But his teams surprisingly never won a single NCAA game, so I'd call Rhoades LVC's best player ever.

swish

Warren,
I'm surprised Byers isn't playing at least a year overseas. He may not be able to play in the top leagues but he definately could play somewhere.

diplomaniac1

Swish, R. W., and Warren -

I saw many an F&M-LVC game at Lynch and at Mayser when both were in the old MAC and played twice each year. There were very few blow-outs and most were extremely tight games with many lead changes and with a few overtimes sprinkled in for good measure. I was in standing room only crowds at least four times and stood in a corner (at Lynch, of course) for two entire games!

Here's my take on the question that Swish raised. First, I wholeheartedly agree that it is almost impossible to accurately and fairly compare point guards with front court players. Their roles are just too different. Thus, I will keep my comparison to just Rhoades and Byers. Besides, I always thought Panko's game was a bit one-dimensional.

I think that Rhoades was the best ever at LVC. In addition to being a better floor leader, I would rate him as a more complete all-around player and a better defender. I don't know what the numbers are, but, I would also suspect that he had more career rebounds (and probably, more career assists) as well. He was both mentally and physically tough, and was always a gentleman when the game was done. He was also a member of a national championship team. If only, the Dutchmen and the Dips could have met in the elite eight that year (my Dips let us down)...... In my mind, its not that close - Rhoades hands down.

Finally, although I saw many phycially tough dutchmen players (including the center from Pottsville whose name escapes me right now - same class as F&M's DiCello), Dave Bentz was the toughest and most physical of them all.

All in all, an excellent question and discussion thus far. I look forward to some additional comments. Regards to all.

Eric

sleeprcell

Coach C,

You might want to reconsider the likelihood of Sus. winning the league next year.....  I heard there might be a couple of suprises coming in....

Frumkin

Coach C

At this point in the year you have already heard about new players for next year?  Interesting!  Very interesting!

C

sleeprcell

Can anyone beat Widener... Clarkson is not a D3 player.... mid D-1 kid... How does end up there?

How are they not in the Top 25? Hard to sleep on an undefeated team with such big wins.... with Ford, Clarkson, Thomas, and the state's best pg in Blakely....

Coach C

sleeprcell -

Which wins are big?  I will agree that they are underrated, but it has not been a strong schedule so  far.

C

gordonmann

I've talked about Widener's potential on Hoopsville, our Tuesday night radio show, more than once.

But let's wait until they beat someone other than Goucher (0-11), Immaculata (1-10), Wilmington (1-8 after that game), Philadelphia Bible (2-7) and Susquehanna (3-8).

sleeprcell

For the record,  1-5 they are a very very good team.

1-10 rating system

Blakely: 7.5 true pg.  runs the show
Ford: 9 3 pt shooter
Thomas: 9 versatile, athletic swingman
Michael: 8 beast in the blocks
Clarkson: 10 one of the bestr all around 5's in the country

What does this team not have?  They have to be top 25 in the country by now.  Any undefeated team at break has earned enough street cred. to be there.

How does susquehanna beat Wilkes?  I don't get it....

sleeprcell

How is Widener still not ranked?  I don't get it..... They are contenders.... U heard it hear first.... Would not be suprised if they went undefeated..

Frumkin

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sleeprcell on January 10, 2006, 05:55:54 PM
How is Widener still not ranked?

Nov 18  Men     Widener     Kean (3-8)     62-47     
Nov 19    Men    Lycoming (7-6)    Widener    72-77    
Nov 22    Men    Chestnut Hill (1-10)    Widener    45-70    
Nov 25    Men    Hood (6-8)    Widener    62-72    
Nov 26    Men    Gallaudet (7-4)    Widener    61-66    
Nov 29    Men    Widener    Lebanon Valley (6-7, 0-2)    OT    78-67    
Dec 3    Men    Susquehanna (4-9, 0-2)    Widener    46-70
Dec 8    Men    Philadelphia Bible (2-7)    Widener    66-81    
Dec 13    Men    Wilmington (Del.) (1-9)    Widener    62-75    
Dec 22    Men    Widener    Immaculata (1-11)    84-50    
Jan 5    Men    Widener    Goucher (0-11)    86-71    
Jan 7    Men    Rutgers-Camden (1-11)    Widener    66-92    

Opponents' record: 39-101, .279

I think the voters are correctly noting that more than 25 teams would have gone undefeated so far against that schedule.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sleeprcell

Quote from: Warren Thompson on January 10, 2006, 06:57:12 PM
Good retort above, Pat.

relax thompson.... no need to make the big guy feel good about himself...  :-*  we get it

Having seen them play, (most voters have not) you are missing the boat....

they are winning each game by a margin of 18 points... and undefeated... something to be said for not losing into mid-january and being in the top 25.

humbly, i disagree...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sleeprcell on January 10, 2006, 07:24:09 PM
relax thompson.... no need to make the big guy feel good about himself...  :-*  we get it

Having seen them play, (most voters have not) you are missing the boat....

We haven't missed anything yet. Widener isn't even on the boat.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Coach C

Guys, I have seen them and they are a good 1-5 team.  They are thin on the bench, but well-coached, and of course Clarkson is a horse.

However, the schedule is HORRID.  It is near Wilkes-like in it quality.  That makes it pretty hard to compare this team against the other undefeateds. 

I think they are a top 25 team based on talent, but it's hard to prove with the schedule.

C

rollingthunda

Widener may be tremendously talented (aren't they always) but it never fails that every year they have a serious issue with chemistry and they never quite play to their potential.  I've seen it for the last 4 years now.  When things are going their way, everything is great, but show them a little adversity and tough times and they start yelling at each other and its over from there.  Not sure if this will be the year they get that fixed up.  Blakely is one of the quickest point guards I've ever seen, but I think my grandmother is more of a threat to shoot the ball than he is and while Clarkson is a very gifted all around player, both he and Michael have trouble playing against guys that like to get physical and mix it up.  Thomas and Ford are both solid players to round out the starting 5 but I think their depth will hurt them when they play some better teams.

Enough of Widener though.  I haven't seen a game yet this year, but will be in Etown this weekend to watch the Jays pickup their first Conference win of the season against the Dutchies (they dont have JDB to throw anymore falling-out-of-bounds-from-the-hash-mark-with-three-defenders-on-him-with-one-second-lef-on-the-shot-clock three pointers in to clinch the game >:().  Despite losing 8 players from last years team, it sounds as if Coach Schlosser has them playing hard again this year (although I don't think that should come as a surprise to anyone).  Etown may get outrebounded in most games, but they force enough turnovers and wear teams out to win games.  Things should get interesting as always now that the heart of the conference schedule is starting.

GO JAYS!!!
Thunder

The name on the front of the Jersey is whole lot more important than the name on the back.