MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

What Ryan said

PP did what you have to do to beat Whitman. If they can avoid too many SCIAC losses then maybe they'll even get to host a pod this year...

blackhawks4

What Ryan & Rat said. 

Pitzer is a very good team.  I actually think they're better than Claremont was last year.  Claremont last year had Scarlett, who was outstanding, but Pitzer this year has #5 & #10, both who are extremely talented, and have size.  Pitzer has a good supporting cast too, and are very disciplined.   I think they are one of the top 15 teams in the country.  They have a very interesting matchup Friday, traveling to Wash U. 

On Whitman's side, 9-20 from the free throw line really hurts in a 3 point loss.  But all in all, it was a double overtime loss on the road to a very good team.  I have a feeling these two will meet again down the road.

Sure Butler had 10 extra minutes, but narrowly missed a triple double, with 9-12-12.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: (509)Rat on November 25, 2018, 12:53:50 PM
What Ryan said

PP did what you have to do to beat Whitman. If they can avoid too many SCIAC losses then maybe they'll even get to host a pod this year...

I don't see a situation where PP would be hosting a pod. That requires three flights unless somehow another SCIAC team gets into the tournament. I suspect we get two NWC teams in ... and hosting up there only requires, then, two flights. That said, I know the committee is already looking to keep the Whits from seeing each other in the opening weekend. We may get lucky.

But one more reason I think PP or any SCIAC team is going to struggle to be in a hosting position, the West Region is LOADED with good teams and I don't think the SCIAC can overcome what usually is deficiencies in the criteria to raise to a hosting position. The NWC have at least two teams who will be ranked, the ARC will have two or three, and the MIAC will arguably have two or three teams. When there are eight slots ... there isn't a lot of room.

I would love to see the SCIAC host, I just don't see it on paper. I know it is early in the season, but basing this on historic knowledge coupled with looking at how this season could play out.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

Of course Whitworth has lost in the opening round the last two years so no one has had to worry about Whitman and Whitworth playing each other!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 27, 2018, 01:42:18 PM
Of course Whitworth has lost in the opening round the last two years so no one has had to worry about Whitman and Whitworth playing each other!

Yeah ... unfortunate ... and fortunate. But we were worried non-the-less since it was set-up as much. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

(509)Rat

Whits sweep Willamette and Pacific. Willamette played a good game against the Pirates. Whitman dismantled both. Pacific is going to win some games because of their "style" but Lunt is working with less talent than he was in Tacoma IMO. I actually thought Willamette looked like the better team. Linfield beat up on PLU and L&C who I don't think anyone expects to be very good. The loss to the solutes doesn't look great, but they have a shot against Neb Wesleyan in a few weeks that will I think give us a better idea of how they'll stack up against the Whits.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: (509)Rat on November 17, 2018, 06:45:34 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 16, 2018, 11:54:18 PM
Quote from: (509)Rat on November 16, 2018, 09:38:31 PM
Whitworth beat #23 St. Olaf today 75-55

#6 Whitworth ;)

Dave with the assist!

#4 Whitman rolls Sul Ross St 97-61

I watched the Blues game for a little bit. It was a ten minute stretch in the first half where the team from TX managed to score 2 points. Whitman really has an embarrassment of riches. I bet they'll look a lot like recent Gonzaga teams where 6-7 different guys are leading the team in scoring on any given night. Butler and Hewitt are probably gonna out touch the other guys most nights but they have a bunch of guys who are capable of going off on any given night.
Catching up on the other boards...

I know that the head coach at Sul Ross wanted to play a national schedule, which is why he scheduled the trip to the northwest.

(509)Rat

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 02, 2018, 07:03:05 PM
Quote from: (509)Rat on November 17, 2018, 06:45:34 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 16, 2018, 11:54:18 PM
Quote from: (509)Rat on November 16, 2018, 09:38:31 PM
Whitworth beat #23 St. Olaf today 75-55

#6 Whitworth ;)

Dave with the assist!

#4 Whitman rolls Sul Ross St 97-61

I watched the Blues game for a little bit. It was a ten minute stretch in the first half where the team from TX managed to score 2 points. Whitman really has an embarrassment of riches. I bet they'll look a lot like recent Gonzaga teams where 6-7 different guys are leading the team in scoring on any given night. Butler and Hewitt are probably gonna out touch the other guys most nights but they have a bunch of guys who are capable of going off on any given night.
Catching up on the other boards...

I know that the head coach at Sul Ross wanted to play a national schedule, which is why he scheduled the trip to the northwest.

Hasn't really been an issue for the NWC basketball programs but I'm sure everyone on the d3 island is appreciative of coach Carroll making the trip up!

(509)Rat

Whitworth beat La Verne by 50 thanks to a 71 pt 2nd half. 115-65. The Leopards are going to finish near the bottom of the SCIAC but all you can do if you are the heavy favorites is win comfortably, get some bench players more minutes than they would otherwise, only turn the ball over 6 times, etc.

Whitworth was much better than D'youville In 2014 when they opened the season with a 54 point win against the team who's mascot I don't know yet. Obviously both teams are very different from 4 years ago but unless D'Youville as a program has gotten significantly better, the Pirates should win comfortably.

D O.C.

I haven't seen a single game on the computer yet but I'll open the season with Nebraska Wesleyan.
So good to see more than 3 wins already in the season.
So good to see scoring more than 80-90.

Harkens me back to the days when Whitworth was a big 'ol school we didn't play and Whitman was game but eventually got their feet all twisted around by a continuous trap defense and fast breaks.
Good times!

(509)Rat

Whitworth beat D'Youville 104-74

Only thing of note was Ben College breaking a school record for 3s in a game. He made 11 and finished with 37 points. Write up didn't say, though the previous record was probably David Riley's. If I remember right he broke at least one 3 point record set by Jon Young. If this board wasn't dead I'd expect someone to come in and correct me...

89Pirate

Quote from: (509)Rat on December 14, 2018, 01:41:13 PM
Whitworth beat D'Youville 104-74

Only thing of note was Ben College breaking a school record for 3s in a game. He made 11 and finished with 37 points. Write up didn't say, though the previous record was probably David Riley's. If I remember right he broke at least one 3 point record set by Jon Young. If this board wasn't dead I'd expect someone to come in and correct me...

Not dead, just taking a long winter's nap...at least until I get to Vegas in 2 weeks !

Yes it was David Riley's record that was broken.  Not sure why the write-up didn't mention that, but it was mentioned in the Fieldhouse at the time.

D O.C.

Who all's tuning in to watch the #1 team in the country tonight?

D O.C.

So, the #1 team has 2 Pre-AAs on  it.
Amazed, I haven't seen one dunk in 15 minutes.

32-32 / 6:30 in half

D O.C.

What's with the 7-11 security camera that's taken the viewer out of the game?
Embarrassing.