NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 10, 2015, 11:54:08 AM
Wesleyan up 2-0 over Colby at Halftime.I guess they were not overlooking them. I was watching Midd v Tufts, did anyone see how Wesleyan scored?

Colby continuing to be without several key players  Very makeshift lineup with several players playing new positions.  Great experience for the frosh that may hold them in good stead a couple of years from now, but I wouldn't pick them to beat anyone at this point in time . . .

Mr.Right

Conn scores 20 minutes in up 1-0 on Bates. Frosh Leon with a nice tricky goal as he trapped the ball with his fut and turned with the ball still on his foot and scored. Conn ALL OVER Bates early and just a great crowd and atmosphere at Conn...The toughest place to play in Nescac because of the rowdy crowds

Brother Flounder

I also agree that Tufts controlled the game. It wasn't jus long ball against long ball. The two passes that Kayne gave majumber were great through traffic. Majumber finishes one and should have scored on the other. The passes were threaded through 3 people right on the feet of Majumber. Score Should have been at least 2-0. Don't know how many assists he would have if the Jumbos were finishing. I do agree the middlebury forwards weren't much of a threat. If Tufts were scoring Kayne would be player of the year, but also because the number of steals he has too. Will this win be enough to propel Tufts?

Mr.Right

Conn still sitting on a 1-0 lead with about 5 minutes to go in 1st half. They are playing well but Devlin had a chance to make it 2-0 from about 10 yrds out and hit it just wide. Bates has not had any chances but you still need to put them away. Conn's Frosh Lockwood is a moose on the loose out there.

Mr.Right

Conn up 1-0 middle of 2nd half...Bates has not had anything but Conn has let them hang around. Also, the 2nd Half Conn has come out really flat and with no energy..Almost, like at the half they figured they have locked this up already...

FourMoreYears

Drama in Hartford.

Trinity goes up 1-0 on a Sam Milbury goal.
With 17 seconds left, a beautiful Bowdoin cross into the box is punched (yes punched) with two hands by a Bowdoin player to the net. Trinity goalie saves and mysteriously no call on the blatant and intentional handball. Shades of Diego Maradona. All hell breaks loose. Players, coaches, fans go crazy. Bowdoin proceeds to take advantage and scores on the corner sending the game to OT.

With 41 seconds left in OT 2, Tobias Gimand sends a pretty ball to Cody Savonen, who finishes for the 2-1 Trinity win.

Nutmeg

Here's my take from the Tufts video feed.. First, I hate watching games on video casts. Second, Tufts came out strong dominating possession and with purpose. Agree that it wasn't  just long ball against long ball. Conrad takes up space but was handled well by Tufts defense. Glaser is quick but didn't have any threats. Thought the Tufts defense did well today. Majumder played well. Yes, he should have probably scored more than one goal but he looked good. Greenwood had one excellent save. I don't think Sydor could have done much better on the goal. As mentioned in several posts over the last few months, Kayne runs the Tufts offense. This was true last year too. I feel he and Patel were the unsung cogs in the Tufts championship last year. Maybe Kayne doesn't have the options  he had last year but I think Majumder has scored more this year than  Hoppenot did last year. I will agree that Kayne is a top notch player and the most fun midfielder to watch in the NESCAC, if not the country, but I haven't seen many non NESCAC games...The 2 passes today were made with pinpoint accuracy through heavy traffic....representative of The Beautiful Game...

Jump4Joy

Amherst handled Hamilton, 3-0, in the second half after concerted first-half effort by H to play high pressure on D and get forward quickly on attack, keeping the Jeffs at bay. Hamilton couldn't sustain as the Purple and White took over with authority. After the second one went in, the game felt in hand; preserving the shutout (8th this season) became the focus from the Amherst fans' perspective. Of all active goalkeepers in the nation (all 3 divisions), Bull leads with 43 career shutouts.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Jump4Joy on October 11, 2015, 07:38:37 AM
Amherst handled Hamilton, 3-0, in the second half after concerted first-half effort by H to play high pressure on D and get forward quickly on attack, keeping the Jeffs at bay. Hamilton couldn't sustain as the Purple and White took over with authority. After the second one went in, the game felt in hand; preserving the shutout (8th this season) became the focus from the Amherst fans' perspective. Of all active goalkeepers in the nation (all 3 divisions), Bull leads with 43 career shutouts.

I did not see the 2nd Half but from what I caught in the 1st Half Hamilton was possessing very nicely but just not creating anything in the Final 3rd. They have some decent skill and technical players but it sounds like everything fizzled out in the 2nd Half.

Jim Matson

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on October 10, 2015, 03:07:50 AM
Quote from: Brother Flounder on October 06, 2015, 05:40:09 PM
Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on October 06, 2015, 01:19:20 PM
Tufts completely drops off the national poll today and barely sneaks into the New England poll at 10th.  It's still too early to tell, but might Tufts Cinderella story already be over, and might they be relegated to "one hit wonder" status?  Time will tell.

Many one hit wonders if you look at Champions.  You can never take it away from those boys who participated.  Oh, do you recall the Giant Slayer goal by Kayne against Messiah last November???? That was nice, wasn't it?

I agree with everything you are saying.

First, there absolutely are many one hit wonders if you look at teams that have won the D3 Soccer National Championship one time. 

I also want to temper this a bit and say that it's not just about championships.  There are certainly some programs around who haven't won a lot of championships but who are consistently at or near the top.  And there are a few NESCAC teams who many would place in this group.  I think others might place teams like Wheaton (IL) in this group as well.  And these programs should ABSOLUTELY be part of the conversation about long term excellence in D3 soccer.  I don't think Tufts is quite there yet, but maybe they will be in the years to come.

Solid points made. The difficulty in just repeating as champs once is tough enough.

As a side comment, last year's Final Four of course did give us our champ, but we didn't see a dominating effort in any of the matches. Thus, it doesn't surprise me that Tufts isn't showing up strong this season. But I have to say that those matches were as entertaining as it gets in the FF. The speed at which the Oneonta/Wheaton and the Tufts/Wheaton matches were played made for a wonderful experience for us in the stands.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Mr.Right

Just sitting here waiting to watch Wesleyan v Midd and I am interested to see how Midd comes out today. Midd looked awful against Tufts yesterday bit that was yesterday and today is a different day. Wesleyan are going to have to put both Gruner and Erickson on the field together today to match Midd's size but I am more interested in seeing how the Frosh Martinez-Paiz does against Midd's backline. This kid is one of the more technical frosh in Nescac right now. Will Midd force Wesleyan into an ugly aerial attack or can Wesleyan play its game.There also is a big difference in playing Tufts than playing Colby so Wesleyan has that going for them also today.

Mr.Right

That Wesleyan win at Haverford could prove VITAL for them come November.

Mr.Right

Midd absolutely MUST win this game v Wesleyan as their only possible win vs a ranked team is Conn this year. We talked in August how their schedule leaves them vulnerable if they do not beat the Top 3 Nescac teams as that is their only chance at getting wins v ranked. Also, nothing on their schedule that is left after today even resembles a ranked team.

PaulNewman

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 11, 2015, 10:55:06 AM
Midd absolutely MUST win this game v Wesleyan as their only possible win vs a ranked team is Conn this year. We talked in August how their schedule leaves them vulnerable if they do not beat the Top 3 Nescac teams as that is their only chance at getting wins v ranked. Also, nothing on their schedule that is left after today even resembles a ranked team.

I know you'll want to play this close to the vest at least until Williams can get to 9-4-1 or 8-4-2, BUT, the Ephs do have a chance with Wes, Tufts and Midd still on the schedule and potential ranked Endicott and Babson. 

Let's compare next to Midd and Conn.  Williams has wins over Oneonta, RPI and Bowdoin (probably won't be ranked but still good win) and a tie with Conn.  Midd's best results are ONLY a win over Conn and a tie with Bowdoin.  That's it although we'll see if they pick up another good win today.  Conn's best results are a win over ECSU and a draw with Williams.  Midd has by far the easiest schedule after today, but with some very low SOS teams and final game at home with Williams which COULD be huge one.  Conn has tough games left and so does Williams, but that also represents opportunity for the Ephs.  IF Midd doesn't get a result today I might well favor Williams to land ahead of Midd and Conn, at least in terms of overall resume.  Of course Wes also would slide back to the pack if they don't get a result today.

A NCAA tourney with Williams in it is a better NCAA tournament than without.

PaulNewman

Wes should have already scored, so that worries me for Wes.