The Big Dance

Started by Falconer, November 06, 2017, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

The Vikings left NPU early this morning for Greensboro. NPU has at least one fan bus going to the Final Four, and a lot of individual parties going in groups via automobile.

I've enjoyed walking past Holmgren Athletic Complex the past week and seeing the Vikings on the field practicing. At NPU, we're not used to the outdoors facilities being utilized in late November. But we would certainly enjoy it if it became habitual.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr.Right

Quote from: Wisco21 on November 29, 2017, 11:53:40 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 24, 2017, 01:56:17 PM
I wonder how Brandeis will prepare for the Final 4? Correct me if I am wrong D4 but a Coach would probably give the guys the Monday after the Elite 8 off and maybe practice Tuesday. So it might look like this

Monday(after elite 8)     Off
Tuesday                        Practice
Wed / Thurs / Fri           Off
Sat and Sun                  Practice
Mon                              Practice
Tues                             Practice Morning / Fly to NC
Wed / Thurs                  Should be allowed to Practice on Gamefield if not Practice elsewhere / plus a host of other NCAA commitments.

To me you want to get to the Final 4 site on that Tuesday night instead of flying out early Wednesday morning. Why? Because you do not want to get the guys up at 4am on Wednesday to get to the site and everyone will be tired and it might take a day to recover. Just does not make sense to me but with the site being in North Carolina this year it might be easier on East Coast teams to get flights rather than to San Antonio or KC. Also. the amount of commitments the teams have when they get to the Final 4 is not small. It is really hard to get a fully focused team training session when at the site IMO.

I was always curious as to the itinerary during the week leading up to the final four, especially with that week starting on the tail end of Thanksgiving. When are players required to return from Thanksgiving break? Do teams stay in the same hotels? Is there a tight training schedule each team follows on the same training pitch? What off-the-field commitments are there?

Maybe with someone with more experience could share? Firstplaceloser? Mr.Right?

Players are not required to return from Thanksgiving on any given day it is up to the coaching staff but a smart coach would not force them back until Saturday. Give them the day after Thanksgiving to rest / travel etc and then get 3 serious training sessions in on Sat / Sun / Mon on campus. I would go light on Tuesday and then travel on Wednesday with a runaround when you get to the site. In San Antonio all teams stayed in the same Hotel not sure about KC or NC but I would imagine the NCAA would do the same because they probably get discounted rates. Teams are allowed I believe an hour on the game field on Thursday to get a good feel of what they will be dealing with. In San Antonio, teams could practice longer on Trinity's field which every team that I was aware took advantage of. The off field commitments are not that bad but there is always some sort of community involvement at a local school or what not talking to the kids and knocking the ball around or whatever. The night before there is a monster banquet for both the Men and Women with each team having one player give a 5 minute speech and then eating and all that. Its a great experience and a nice end to all 4 of the teams successful seasons.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

All the teams are staying in the same hotel... really nice Sheraton actually. Wish I could convince myself to spend the money to stay there. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 29, 2017, 02:21:09 PM
All the teams are staying in the same hotel... really nice Sheraton actually. Wish I could convince myself to spend the money to stay there. LOL

How about some inside info on what is going on down there...Weather report? Field? Anything would be helpful TBH

firstplaceloser

I wonder how Brandeis will prepare for the Final 4? Correct me if I am wrong D4 but a Coach would probably give the guys the Monday after the Elite 8 off and maybe practice Tuesday. So it might look like this

Wed / Thurs                  Should be allowed to Practice on Gamefield if not Practice elsewhere / plus a host of other NCAA commitments.

To me you want to get to the Final 4 site on that Tuesday night instead of flying out early Wednesday morning. Why? Because you do not want to get the guys up at 4am on Wednesday to get to the site and everyone will be tired and it might take a day to recover. Just does not make sense to me but with the site being in North Carolina this year it might be easier on East Coast teams to get flights rather than to San Antonio or KC. Also. the amount of commitments the teams have when they get to the Final 4 is not small. It is really hard to get a fully focused team training session when at the site IMO.

I was always curious as to the itinerary during the week leading up to the final four, especially with that week starting on the tail end of Thanksgiving. When are players required to return from Thanksgiving break? Do teams stay in the same hotels? Is there a tight training schedule each team follows on the same training pitch? What off-the-field commitments are there?

so back in 2013 our schedule was like this. ill start the monday of thanksgiving week.
Monday and tuesday we were given off.
Wednesday small light practice then go home for break.
Off for thanksgiving
Thursday friday saturday practice
sunday was light
monday and tuesday practice
wednesday morning we left for San antonio at 6am( would not let us leave tuesday cause of money)Trinity let us practice at their facilitity after the bus ride to the Teams Hotel. all 4 teams stayed at the same hotel all on different floors.

Thursday was team breakfast, then we had a scheduled time to go check out the stadium and game field. also had a set practice time at fields outside of the stadium. there was a strict 1 hour limit and we all practiced at the same time. we also had to a community service event where all teams helped.

Thursday night was the Banquet/Dinner which was at the hotel.(I was impressed with the food and ambiance.) we had small amounts of free time to hang out and relax but definitely not long enough.

Friday we had team breakfast then had a few things to do with NCAA and had time to relax before the games at night.

if you lose your team is supposed to leave immediately.

Saturday was wake up,take as many ice baths as you possibly could until you left for National championship game. then you play win or lose teams go back to
hotel and leave following morning

I probably missed a few things but the schedule for the most part in San Antonio was very busy and definitely effects you as a player. but it is by far the most amazing trip I ever had and would do anything for another chance to do it again

Wisco21

Appreciate the insight lads. And wow firstplaceloser, busy is an understatement! Love that you say you'd do anything to do it again, sounds like an experience that really contains all of what we dream about as youngsters!

Saint of Old

Quote from: firstplaceloser on November 29, 2017, 02:25:17 PM

so back in 2013 our schedule was like this. ill start the monday of thanksgiving week.
Monday and tuesday we were given off.
Wednesday small light practice then go home for break.
Off for thanksgiving
Thursday friday saturday practice
sunday was light
monday and tuesday practice
wednesday morning we left for San antonio at 6am( would not let us leave tuesday cause of money)Trinity let us practice at their facilitity after the bus ride to the Teams Hotel. all 4 teams stayed at the same hotel all on different floors.

Thursday was team breakfast, then we had a scheduled time to go check out the stadium and game field. also had a set practice time at fields outside of the stadium. there was a strict 1 hour limit and we all practiced at the same time. we also had to a community service event where all teams helped.

Thursday night was the Banquet/Dinner which was at the hotel.(I was impressed with the food and ambiance.) we had small amounts of free time to hang out and relax but definitely not long enough.

Friday we had team breakfast then had a few things to do with NCAA and had time to relax before the games at night.

if you lose your team is supposed to leave immediately.

Saturday was wake up,take as many ice baths as you possibly could until you left for National championship game. then you play win or lose teams go back to
hotel and leave following morning

I probably missed a few things but the schedule for the most part in San Antonio was very busy and definitely effects you as a player. but it is by far the most amazing trip I ever had and would do anything for another chance to do it again

Back in the day, we played the games thanks giving weekend.
There was the Thanksgiving dinner where all 4 teams sat and ate together (a real bonding experience)
They served Turkey and Mash potatoes.
Captains from each team gave 5 minute speeches as well.
The whole dinner was a class set up from start to finish.

Back then Wheaton hosted, and as always the program did everything with class.

firstplaceloser

yeah during our group dinner each captain had a 5min speech. RUC was the only team that never made it there and you could tell bc we had 40 kids with us and everyone else had like 20. our school let us bring the whole team for the experience.

I will say this, the NCAA really makes you feel honored to be there and everything was incredible. there was a floor where they have a room loaded with snacks just for us players lol and about your comment about doing anything to go back.... yes, literally ANYTHING to go back again. you grow up as a child with that as a very attainable goal. The amount of hours of lifting running playing studying andnits all to play in a Final Four as a student athlete. 1% of student athletes will have the chance at a National Championship. if you really think about it that's amazing. and I feel bad for the teams who were almost there that didn't quite make it. from the first day of preseason we sat down as a group and said to ourselves "we have something special do not waste it" a final four run consists of a few components, which are Hard work, Dedication, Family, Love/respect for the game, and finally the most Important LUCK. you need it and when it happens you know... but enough rambling on

Flying Weasel

Anyone on here going to the Final Four this year?

deiscanton

I have a family obligation on Saturday and I cannot financially afford the trip to Greensboro, but I was able to get the Google play store installed yesterday on my Amazon Fire tablet in order to get the NCAA Sports app.  I will test out the DII video streams today to see if I can pick up the live video easily.  I will follow the games on live stats in the worst case scenario.

Note-- the app is not needed if you are watching the games on a laptop.

rudy

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Messiah has to be the favorite if there even is one at this point right? All 4 teams could take it!

Ryan Harmanis

Honestly, having seen them all play I'm not sure there's a true favorite this year. Messiah is very good, obviously, but they have not been as dominant as past Falcons teams against their toughest competition. Without taking anything away from them (again, they're awesome) I also think Messiah had the easiest road to the Final Four.

This year, in particular, the Final Four is loaded. Had Tufts made it you'd arguably have had the top four seeds. Instead, you have 3/4 plus a Brandeis team that has the only Final Four experience in the field. No real Cinderella, and no real favorite in my view.

PaulNewman

Quote from: Ryan Harmanis on November 30, 2017, 06:30:01 PM
Honestly, having seen them all play I'm not sure there's a true favorite this year. Messiah is very good, obviously, but they have not been as dominant as past Falcons teams against their toughest competition. Without taking anything away from them (again, they're awesome) I also think Messiah had the easiest road to the Final Four.

This year, in particular, the Final Four is loaded. Had Tufts made it you'd arguably have had the top four seeds. Instead, you have 3/4 plus a Brandeis team that has the only Final Four experience in the field. No real Cinderella, and no real favorite in my view.

Agree 100%.  If anything North Park should perhaps be the favorite and maybe most likely to steamroll through 2 games (if anyone is going to steamroll), and that said I bet deep down many of us think of North Park as the Cinderalla (if forced to choose one).

joking777

Quote from: Flying Weasel on November 30, 2017, 08:27:06 AM
Anyone on here going to the Final Four this year?

Packing the car as we speak. I've really enjoyed lurking on the boards this year and especially reading the history that is shared. My son is a freshman on the Messiah team this year and it has been a great experience.