Notre Dame Student filmer dies from falling lift.....

Started by Teamski, October 27, 2010, 10:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamski

I was sad to find out about the student that died today at Notre Dame when high winds knocked over his stand.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/10/27/nd.tower.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

I spent a lot of time up on stands filming for Wesley and high winds are not fun.  I hope that coaches will look out for students up on these stands.  In my 20 years in the USAF working on big planes,  I learned that you have to employ risk assessment when dealing with the hazzards of operating equipment like this.  Winds along with poor footing are deadly.

I just had to mention it.....

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

K-Mack

This is probably an issue that matters across divisional lines. Maybe for us moreso because we're more likely to have rickety equipment.

I read a few of the precautions teams take, giving them wind monitors, allowing them to lower the hydraulic lift, etc.

I read here where teams have patchwork policies in place.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Teamski

That is a great article. That said, I can guarrantee you that most coaches don't even give the lifts a second thought.  I sure hope that this incident raises awareness of the dangers involved.  Technically, you are supposed to be teathered to the stand when it is elevated, something that most people aren't aware of.  It probably wouldn't of helped in this case, though. 

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.