Pool C

Started by usee, October 25, 2010, 02:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HScoach on October 31, 2010, 09:49:05 AM
We're very lucky that the NCAA funds the tournament as we have it now.  After years and years of only 16 teams getting selected with no AQ in place, I'm not going to complain about a slight travel issue.
"After years and years of only 16 teams getting selected with no AQ in place"

and still not getting the best 16 teams in the country, at that!*

+1!

It is 15 games from pre-season to the Stagg Championship.

Every player in the country knows that winning all 15 games earns the Stagg Trophy.

Check out 1998, when there were five undefeated teams in the South Region, plus Hardin-Simmons which only had a 34-23 loss to D-II Midwestern State (TX) in the Lone Star Conference.

usee

This season is another example of the limitations of the SOS formula used by the NCAA to select playoff teams. In the CCIW 7 of the 8 teams are in the top 20 in the current SOS formula. This is because their OWP and OOWP is strong bolstered by a 22-2 non conference record. The problem I have with it is that record came against the likes of Olivet, MacMurray, Luther, Loras, Adrian, Greenville, etc. What's even more absurd is Benedictine is poised to get a Pool A bid as the AQ for the NATHC. The same Benedictine who lost by 10 pts to 2-6 North Park in the CCIW! Does ayone really think Millikin, Elmhurst, and Wheaton play a tougher schedule than UWW does in the WIAC? I am not taking about strength of conference, I am talking about 33% of your games against teams that are not competitive. I don't know the answer to fix this but there is NO incentive for teams to schedule anyone tough on their schedule. Certainly not in the CCIW.

HScoach

^ That's exactly why I think the SoS numbers are junk.  Take a conference like the 10 team OAC where they only get 1 non-conference game to up/down their SoS numbers and you get that conference champ being almost guaranteed to have a SoS at or very near .500

With so little cross-region games, I don't know how to rank teams between conferences that isn't pure opinion, but using the SoS numbers is pretty worthless in my opinion.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

02 Warhawk

who exactly selects Pool C and B bids? I assume the same committee decides what teams get the #1 bid in each region?

Is it a panel of NCAA officials? coaches? SIDs?

Pat Coleman

Yes, the same 'national committee' that does the rest. Two reps from each regional committee are on the national committee, for a total of eight. This year: Norwich coach, Rowan AD, Manchester coach, OAC commissioner, ODAC commissioner, Grove City coach, Knox coach/AD, Concordia-Moorhead coach
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 02, 2010, 04:45:03 PM
Yes, the same 'national committee' that does the rest. Two reps from each regional committee are on the national committee, for a total of eight. This year: Norwich coach, Rowan AD, Manchester coach, OAC commissioner, ODAC commissioner, Grove City coach, Knox coach/AD, Concordia-Moorhead coach

gottcha...so it's safe to say ALL members of the national committee are also on the regional committee? I guess that explains why the final regional rankings are "close" to the playoff brancket...with the expection of moving UMU to the East.

Pat Coleman

Right, the two people from each region co-chair their region's committee, which is made up of the two co-chairs and a representative from each league, plus Pool B teams if there are any in the region.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 02, 2010, 04:52:56 PM
Right, the two people from each region co-chair their region's committee, which is made up of the two co-chairs and a representative from each league, plus Pool B teams if there are any in the region.

what do you mean by each league? you mean conference?

Pat Coleman

Yes, league and conference are fairly interchangeable words, no?

HScoach

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 02, 2010, 04:45:03 PM

Oh Lord.  We're all screwed. 
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Pat Coleman

K-Mack

Quote from: HScoach on October 31, 2010, 09:49:05 AM
We're very lucky that the NCAA funds the tournament as we have it now.  After years and years of only 16 teams getting selected with no AQ in place, I'm not going to complain about a slight travel issue.

Verbatim.

(also played for 8-2 conference co-champ/non-playoff participant in 16-team era)
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 02, 2010, 04:39:43 PM
who exactly selects Pool C and B bids? I assume the same committee decides what teams get the #1 bid in each region?

Is it a panel of NCAA officials? coaches? SIDs?

Addressed in depth in this week's ATN:

http://www.d3football.com/columns/around-the-nation/2010/picking-the-top-seeds
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Bill McCabe

Ralph,
Going into this weeks games, how do you see the Pool C bids?

d-train

I'll hazard a guess.  I think there are at least 10 very strong 1 loss teams right now hoping for a Pool C.  Feedback is welcomed:

loser of Wheaton/North Central game
Ohio Northern
Coe*
St. John Fisher
Bethel
Rowan*
Hardin-Simmons
Pacific Lutheran
Redlands
Cortland St.*
Montclair St.*
Central*

* I'm unclear about the three-way tie scenario in the NJAC...or what would happen if Central causes one in the IIAC.